PDA

View Full Version : CAmpy chain question

shinomaster
03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
CAn a Campy 10 speed metal chain be installed on one bike, and then a month later be removed and be "put" on a different bike provided that the length is correct? I might get a new frame in a month or so, but my current chain is old and stretched, and not shifting perfectly. I don't want to waste $40.

e-RICHIE
03-16-2008, 08:48 PM
CAn a Campy 10 speed metal chain be installed on one bike, and then a month later be removed and be "put" on a different bike provided that the length is correct? I might get a new frame in a month or so, but my current chain is old and stretched, and not shifting perfectly. I don't want to waste $40.
i would do itmo. and i never use a c link for the transition.
break the chain with a tool and just drive it back homemo.

wasfast
03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
The side plates on the UN chains are very thin so if you break it, make sure the plate is supported on both sides of the pin when you reinstall it. Also, be extra sure the pin is centered as a small amount in/out can cause a failure.

I have 3 campy bikes and use the Connex link on all of them. The closest one for 5.9mm chains is the 10S1, what they sell for the Wipperman Shimano replacement. No more permalink or worries about chain failure from improper pin installation.

shinomaster
03-16-2008, 08:56 PM
i would do itmo. and i never use a c link for the transition.
break the chain with a tool and just drive it back homemo.

What is a c link? IS it a campy link?

shinomaster
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
The side plates on the UN chains are very thin so if you break it, make sure the plate is supported on both sides of the pin when you reinstall it. Also, be extra sure the pin is centered as a small amount in/out can cause a failure.

I have 3 campy bikes and use the Connex link on all of them. The closest one for 5.9mm chains is the 10S1, what they sell for the Wipperman Shimano replacement. No more permalink or worries about chain failure from improper pin installation.

Oh yeah, a shop re-connected my chain once with a wipperlink, I liked it, especially since I could easily pull it off and clean the chain.

chrisroph
03-16-2008, 09:09 PM
use the wipperman shimano 10 link, easiest way. never tried it the old fashioned erichie way with a c10.

Steve in SLO
03-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi all,
Another option is a Super Link-III, Model 4, made just for 5.9mm Campy chains.
Branford Bike has them here:
http://www.branfordbike.com/chains/chains4.html
It's about 2/3 the way down the page.

I like mine, have about 1100 mi on the link and it's not showing wear, so either it's a very well made product or (more likely) I am really weak.
Steve

Dave
03-17-2008, 06:17 AM
If you break a Campy UN chain, remove the HD-L joining pin if possible. On chains other than the Record model, it will be the only pin with a hole in it. When reinstalling the chain, use a Wipperman connex link in the model most often referred to as a 6.1mm or Shimano compatible model; it will be marked 10S1. The Forster Superlink is another option.

Easier still, is to install the chain with the connector link the first time and skip the HD-L pin completely.

What you never want to do is push a pin out one side and then push it back in. The chances of a failure are greatly increased. This worked fine back in the days of protruding pins chains, but it's never recommended with a flush pin chain.

toaster
03-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Always have gone the route of new Campy chain and quick connector.

Wipperman is OK, but has to be installed correctly because of it's irregular shape.

The Forster SuperLink is my preferred method of late. Both have proven to be bulletproof for at least five years and tens of thousands of miles.