PDA

View Full Version : Favorite floor pump?

Joe
09-03-2004, 09:55 PM
What's your favorite floor pump? A search for floor pump didn't show any previous threads - sorry if this has already been discussed.

Matt Barkley
09-03-2004, 09:58 PM
SAPO from Milan, Italy. The "OK" or "Super OK." Kinda like a standard Silca Pista, comes in a bunch of colors, but I like the chuck better. I have no idea if anyone is selling these in the US right now. - Matt

Bill Bove
09-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I have a Pedro's Super Prestige and a plain okd Prestige. I like the Prestige, it looks like the same pump being sold Planet Bike and a couple of others, works well and is cheap enought to replace rather than searching around for repair parts.

Michael Katz
09-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Topeak Joe Blow Pro. Heavy construction, rebuildable and parts available, guage mounted high, single sided head fits presta and shraeder valves without any adjustment, good stroke volume and pumps to 120 lbs with little effort. Much more efficient than Zefal I own and head is vastly superior to Silca which I returned because head kept popping off valve at higher pressures.

PBWrench
09-03-2004, 10:32 PM
I echo Michael's thoughts. Love my Joe Blow. The head chuck is much easier to use than that of my Silca. Also the triangle base detaches easily with three allen bolts. This is handy when you're shipping a bike in case -- just toss the pump in as well.

Tom Robison
09-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Silca Super Pista floor pump!

Tom

keno
09-04-2004, 12:27 AM
is my choice, too. It works very well, as others have said above. Moreover, after six months a problem arose with it, and Topeak sent me a new pump, no questions asked.

keno

Andreu
09-04-2004, 03:41 AM
Blackburn Track Pump TP4 Pro

Climb01742
09-04-2004, 04:49 AM
without a doubt...no doubt...zero...zip...not even a shadow of one...joe blow pro. hands down. trust me. i've tried a zillion trying to find one that really worked, especially the chuck. this chuck is so good, i call it charles out of respect and gratitude. get the 04 model. did i mention there was no doubt? ;)

Bill Bove
09-04-2004, 05:11 AM
"I call it Charles out of respect" Good one, Clinb!

Kevin
09-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Topeak Joe Blow Pro. Durable and has a gauge.

Kevin

William
09-04-2004, 09:18 AM
I won a Classic AIR HAMMER by taking a prime a few years ago and it has serverd me well. Heavy duty and can pump up to 200 psi (not that Ive ever needed to go that hi).

William :)

Joe
09-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks to all for your prompt replies. Very helpful.

Joe

Russ
09-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Joe,

I have been using the "JoeBlow Sport" for about two years now and I have had absolutelly no problems.

Why did I purchase the Sport version instead of the Pro?
1) The pump head seemed to stay on the valve better
2) The gauge, although at the bottom of the pump, had a yellow background with bold numbers... easy to read.
3) Metal base.

As I said, I bought my pump two years ago and I think Topeak has made a few changes since then. Better changes, may be. I suggest you go to the bike shop and test them out.

One word about the new Park Tools floor pumps: My LBS does not recommend them and is not going to sell then anymore. They have had to send quite a few for repair/replacement.

Also, I used one at the recent TdFL and I was not impressed. The numbers on the gauge were very small and the head was a problem to put on the valves...

kidamaro
09-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I also love the Topeak Joe Blow. It's just a great pump. Easy to use, and no leaks at all.

JohnS
09-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Joe Blow

Ahneida Ride
09-04-2004, 05:45 PM
I got Joe Pro and I'll give it a thumbs up and thats it.

MadRocketSci
09-05-2004, 03:51 AM
on the tube stem...smooth (michelin a1) or threaded?

smooth: i like the silca's and the rennkompressor. Unfortunately, I use neither right now. I've used other people's silca's and they were great with the smooth barrel stems. Mine never worked and I'm too lazy to ship it back to colorado cyclist. I'll probably have the LBS look at it sometime. The rennkompressor worked great for 3 months. But, I discovered the whole threaded/smooth valve distinction when the threaded stem on my rear wheel eventually chewed up the the rubber seal in the chuck on the renn. The front wheel has a michelin tube, so after the seal got chewed I couldn't keep the renn chuck on the smooth valve stem above 90 psi. Back to REI it went.

The silca head is a b**ch to get off of threaded stems. I would think that would wear it down. But those little rubber thingies are easy to get. I'd mostly use it for the smooth stems tubes...

I tried some other pumps with the joe blow like heads. The Zefal I bought wouldn't stay on the smooth stem. Back to REI it went.

My original pump is the cheaper blackburn (tp2?)...it has worked great for years but i don't like the pressure gauge...seems to stick a lot, where one pump it will move 10 psi, and the next it will barely move at all. Anyway will keep using that one for the rear wheel until the tube flats. Stocked up on michelin smooth stem a1's. Currently using a SKS airvacs? pump on the front tire....works like the rennkompressor, but more expensive, and not worth the extra cost imo. REI stopped stocking the rennkompressor, probably because I returned two (the first one hissed).

I never knew that finding a reliable pump was so freakin hard.....

Ozz
09-05-2004, 08:56 AM
I have a Zefal Husky that has served me well for the past 10 years. I did replace the Zefal head with a Silca one because the parts are easier to find. I have to replace the rubber gaskets about twice a year with it.

It is built like a tank, and weighs as much too! Steel barrel, cast iron base. I expect it to last forever.

That said, I did have an opportunity to use a friend's Joe Blow this past summer, and I have to say that the head is much nicer and easier to use. It held much more securely as the tires were brought up to pressure than the brass Silca chuck on my Husky. I usually have a littel leakage with my pump.

I am tempted to replace my Husky, but like I said, it will probably never wear out. I might have to "accidently" leave it behind my car when I back out of the garage so I have an excuse... ;)

Climb01742
09-05-2004, 10:47 AM
ozz, get a joe blow. you won't regret it.

kestrel
09-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Anybody ever use a SCOTT, with the folding tripod stand? I have two, one that I bought and one that SCOTT USA sent me as a gift. The gift appears to have a carbon fiber pump tube. I've had it for several years and it works to perfection. (Yes the "charles" still functions like new.)

TmcDet
09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
One word about the new Park Tools floor pumps: My LBS does not recommend them and is not going to sell then anymore. They have had to send quite a few for repair/replacement.

I would echo the not get a Park pump. I bought one since park seamed to be so good with everything else, but the floor pumps are not what I had hoped they would be. I have had problems with chuck popping off at before I get the tire up to pressure. Called park and they sent me a new head for it but after a month or so it was doing the same thing.

EPOJoe
09-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Like MadRocketSci said, why is finding a reliable pump so hard? I’ve settled on the Joe Blow Pro, but I’ve had my problems with it. After a few months, the drift pin on the head sort of worked loose and the head just fell apart internally. Topeak sent me a free replacement head, and I’ve been careful to make sure that pin doesn’t get a chance to slide all the way out again, but it sure seems like designing and manufacturing a foolproof, functional pump just shouldn’t be this difficult.

froze
09-07-2004, 12:29 AM
I use a Torelli floor pump and think it's a superb pump; not too many parts to replace if you ever need to, and those parts are interchangeable with Silca.

Jeff N.
09-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Anything Zefal.