PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical trainers

Bud
03-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Earlier this winter, my wife and I bought an elliptical trainer (Horizon fitness model E900). That thing is pretty cool. I thought I wouldn't really like it, but my wife really wanted it and has always used ellipticals at the gym. I've grown to really enjoy using it when the weather is crappy or when I get home well after dark. It is a nice break from the mag trainer, and it seems to be a pretty good workout. This one has variable resistance and incline, which is a nice feature.

Does anyone else use an elliptical at all?

rbtmcardle
03-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I am not a scared to fess up - Octane Fitness for me - great stuff

M.Sommers
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I was forced onto the elliptical for the first time in my life, about three weeks ago. I developed some saddle sores (remember my boil thread) and had to find some other form of cardio. I was pleasantly shocked at how it seemed to duplicate the cycling motion. I used to think it was cheesy to see the elliptical being used in the backwards motion...I tried it and again was really pleased at the leg-muscle workload. The ones at my gym allow you to play with the radius, you can do small circles or large.

Good machine, yes.

chrisroph
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
got one. love it in the winter as alternative to the torture indoor pedaling devices.

johnnymossville
03-16-2008, 08:48 PM
actually, since last summer, at least 4x a week, but I think it did something to my knees so I stopped for awhile. Now I'm strictly riding on the trainer and outside and the knees are feeling better.

I don't know if it was the elliptical or not, but I loved it when I was doing it until the knee thing popped up. It's a great workout.

BlackTiBob
03-17-2008, 07:43 AM
I do 45 minutes a day on the Octane Pro and love it. You can dial in your heart rate to EXACTLY what you want. I put a big fan on me as that's my biggest limiter- overheating and can go and go and go on it.
Also do upper body weights every day.
Then bike trainer in the evening during the cold months or Ottrott ride with the bike club 5/7 days during the season.

fixednwinter
03-17-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been using one for my cardio warm-up at the gym since October. Yeah, before hand I always thought it was a gimmick, but of all the cardio machines there, it's the one that gets me warmed up & raises my bpm the quickest. I choose it over the stationary bike. Easy on the joints too, compared to a regular running treadmill. Surprisingly good cardio machine.

H.Frank Beshear
03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
We've got an Octane Q37e with heart rate and the programmable board, great machine very smooth and fairly quiet. I use it 4-5 times a week right now with the arm blaster turned on it will get your heart pumping. I agree about a fan it's needed. Frank

Dekonick
03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
My wife loves her Precor.

cfacink
03-18-2008, 04:06 PM
My wife also has a Precor and I have found it to be a great workout.