PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Tire Width for Legend ST

Motorad
03-16-2008, 08:19 AM
My frame-size 48, Legend ST, came with F3 forks, perfect for club rides. I'm now toying with the idea of using the Legend for long distance rides. It would be nice to use wider tires such as 28mm or 32mm wide tires.

I was wondering if it is a big logistical deal to swap the forks ... back and forth? In other words, to maintain one set for club rides and another set for long distance solo rides. Is this a common approach, for maintaining just one high-dollar bike, to enable a bigger choice of tires?

Also, I was not able to get information about forks from the Serotta website. Twelve months ago, I was able to find info about forks, but now I do not see any info about forks on the Serotta website. How to navigate the website, to get info about forks?

Last question: If swapping forks is a big logistical deal ... how to best determine the maximum actual width of tire that the Serotta F3 forks can handle? The rims I'm using are 700C, DT Swiss, Model RR1.1, 28/28 spokes.

Ed Moses
03-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Looking at my Legend, I run 24mm Vittoria Open Pave tires - I have a pair of Mavic Reflex wheels with 27mm Dugast Paris-Roubaix tubs and these do not get close to fitting into the frame. (after I do the P-R Sportive in june I plan to fit a pair of the 25mm version of the tire on to these wheels for use on my Legend)

You should get away with the 25mm Continental tires.

I hope that helps!

Ed

93legendti
03-16-2008, 09:07 AM
It might depend upon the length of your chainstays...but I once put 28c Pasela TG's on my Ottrott ST with 41.5cm chainstays to ride a packed dirt trail. My Ottrott ST has the F3 fork.

CNY rider
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Swapping forks is not that complicated a process.

It is time consuming however and not something you are going to want to do regularly. That's the bad news.

My guess is it would get old after about the second swap and you'd not want to do it again.

The good news: There are so many awesome new bikes you can think about now, that will take wider tires and hopefully even fenders, and will be a perfect complement to your Legend. Start looking through the customs thread and you will get some great ideas. :beer:

Brian Smith
03-16-2008, 12:25 PM
You could install a different fork on your bike to accept a 32, however - ain't no Legend ST accepting a 32 in the rear. It's a race bike, and it's too late to change that now. I don't think you want to use 32s on your DT 1.1s either. It's a "horses for courses" kind of thing.

All of that said, your tires won't simply give up if you take them on a long(er) ride. Not everybody needs 32s for a long ride. Nobody swaps on some 700x18s simply because they're only going out for half an hour, either.

Motorad
03-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Good points everyone, thank you. The tires on the DT 1.1's are Michelin Pro2 Race 25mm, and they have got quite a bit of sunlight between the tires and the F3 forks. I haven't given thought on too wide a tire on these rims, and I'm glad you pointed that out.

I'm not sure what the actual width of the Pro2 Race 25mm tires are, but having read the messages in the General Conversation quorum, they are apparently just a tad skinnier than 27.7mm Rolly Poly/Ruffy Tuffy tires. I ordered a cheapie caliper from Sears, for measuring. Being from Arkansas, which borders Missouri (close to the ATMO bike shop) ... I guess I'm almost a resident of the "Show Me" State. I guess it will help to show myself what the different actual widths are, to see if they would work on the Legend ST and F3 forks.

Based on everyone's advice, the racebike Legend is not built for touring, but I would want to use this bike for timed century rides. At least the Pro2 tires use relatively low recommended tire pressures, and I would want to ride a lower tire pressure on century rides. I haven't ridden the Legend yet ... long story ... but was wanting to get an idea on comfortable tires for doing long rides with. The older you get, the softer the caboose, so to speak ...

I would appreciate hearing recommendations of comfortable tires for doing long rides with the Legend ST and F3 forks. You are right that changing tires would be a lot less work than changing forks.

Ed Moses
03-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Try the Vittoria Open Pave tires - they are only 24mm, but very comfy for long days out on my Legend. They also seem to work well on poor road surfaces for some reason ;)

pdxmech13
03-16-2008, 08:16 PM
mabee you want another bike in the stable. :banana:

DarrenCT
03-17-2008, 01:22 AM
ps: i can run 28's on my kirk with short reach brakes

also, 23's will work just as well