PDA

View Full Version : any opinions on Merckx carbon

MallyG
09-03-2004, 02:56 PM
was in my serotta lbs today picking up some stuff. The only other make they offer is Merckx. I was telling the guys that I fancied perhaps getting a racier road bike for 2005 as an alternative to my excellent - but ever so slightly staid - Legend ST. They suggested the forthcoming Merckx carbon. Any thoughts?

Climb01742
09-03-2004, 03:48 PM
no first hand experience but brendan at competetive cyclist said it was way stiff. given that robbie green-jersey rode one, it must be stiff as hell.

CarlosContreros
09-04-2004, 09:34 AM
no first hand experience but brendan at competetive cyclist said it was way stiff. given that robbie green-jersey rode one, it must be stiff as hell.

A Merckx.....stiff??????........duhhh!!

It is an awesome looking frame for sure!!
I would buy one(right!!) but I need a 63-65cm frame and I think the biggest Merckx carbon is 57.
Truth be told....the cost is way too high!..IMO...when you could have a Merckx Max for $1600 and add on another $100 and get custom geo and paint as too!
And those lugs on the MXL are most "eye-pleasing"!! :)
CC

jeffg
09-04-2004, 10:22 AM
I would love to try one since the only review I have seen (Tour) panned it big time (gave it the third lowest rating out of twenty carbon bikes tested). Surprisingly, it said the steerer column stiffness of the MXM was the lowest of all the bikes tested (significantly below what one would expect of steel frames). "One supposes EM has never ridden a bike like this since otherwise he certainly would not have found it acceptable." And, at 1400 g for the frame, it's not exactly light for carbon. That being said, I would still like to give one a try.

Andreu
09-04-2004, 02:44 PM
To look racier it is much cheaper to get a tan, shave legs and wear Oakleys.
To be racy you have to ...erm...race.

The Merckx carbon looks fantastic and will obviously help in this respect.
A