PDA

View Full Version : Memorial ride for two slain cyclists

chakatrain
03-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Was a tragic event last Sunday in the Bay Area, but today's memorial ride numbered over 1000, according to SF Gate (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/15/BAFJVKPDS.DTL&tsp=1). It was an obviously incredibly sad reason for the gathering, but the outpouring of feeling, compassion, and flowers/personal effects placed on the side of the road at the accident site definitely was a fitting memorial and good start to healing from the tragedy.

Am grateful to have another day on the bike and am reminded to be grateful for every day that I have.

bumperjohn
03-15-2008, 08:54 PM
So sad. :confused:

John

hokoman
03-16-2008, 08:11 PM
i usually just read all the funny comments and topics on these boards and don't write much unless it's in the classifieds but i attended the ride and it was incredible. it was one of the most peaceful rides that i've been on and when i got to the scene of the accident, it was unexplainable. i was moved, and i just sat there and imagined every facet of my life and how quickly it could change, just like what happened to the two great athletes that lost their lives. i live about 10 miles from the accident site and i ride past that spot at least once a week. others estimated the ride at 2,500 - and i think it was closer than the 1,000.

be safe, and keep an eye out.

deanster
03-16-2008, 11:02 PM
That is a true tragedy. I imagine the officer involved is dying a thousand deaths and he will never be the same either. No matter what we think we are invisible to the drivers and that is how I treat riding. Damn sad.

DarrenCT
03-17-2008, 01:20 AM
be sure to bring the blue csi. i kinda miss that thing

the memorial ride is a thoughtful event. hope it goes well