PDA

View Full Version : OT cycling tattoos?

dsimon
03-15-2008, 04:26 PM
i have always wanted a tattoo and was thinking of adding something that i love so much into a piece of work so do any of you a a cycling tattoo and if so would you share it? maybe ill get a pic of Dave T's face on my legg :bike: , or the serotta banana.

dvs cycles
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
http://cyclingtattoogallery.blogspot.com/

dsimon
03-15-2008, 04:44 PM
thanks I have already checked that out but was trying to reach a little closer to home. maybe serotta pete has a serotta on his arm? :beer:

Kevan
03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
http://www.bicycleworldny.com/image%20gallery/Kurts_Skin_Deep_Passion.jpg

P.S. Not me.

A.L.Breguet
03-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Here we go again...

92degrees
03-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Not me. Cool:

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/chainwheels/

dave thompson
03-15-2008, 06:44 PM
i have always wanted a tattoo and was thinking of adding something that i love so much into a piece of work so do any of you a a cycling tattoo and if so would you share it? maybe ill get a pic of Dave T's face on my legg :bike: , or the serotta banana.
Forget the face tat, the banana would rock. Unless you sold your Serotta then you would have to use white-out. :D

jerk
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
do what I did. get a really stupid looking black work drawing of a belgian cop in full riot gear that says, la police vous parle tous les soirs" because your pissed about Belgian cops rifling through your gear before podunk little races. an added bonus is that you can use the tatoo to cover up the needle marks caused by the use of the products the pigs were looking for.

jerk ( or you could just get a ghey lion like frank and nico got.)

Louis
03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Not me. Cool:

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/chainwheels/

Interesting stuff. Some of those chain-rings are really cool. Helps you realize what the weight-weenies have done to cycling. Lots of the distinctive / creative stuff has been lost over the years.

Too Tall
03-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Try a Rookie Mark sport. They rub off.

Big Daddy
03-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Not cycling specific, but my Celtic heritage...

flux
03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Here we go again...

Do you know David? On an internet bicycle forum, Who the hell are you to rip on (out) a guy who could ride circles around you on a Huffy MTB?

onekgguy
03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
http://cyclingtattoogallery.blogspot.com/

I like this one best (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93537824@N00/995334275/) from that site.

Kevin g

Big Daddy
03-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Do you know David? On an internet bicycle forum, Who the hell are you to rip on (out) a guy who could ride circles around you on a Huffy MTB?

+1

Strong like bull!

Ginger
03-15-2008, 08:27 PM

Take up trail riding, push the envelope. The scars you gather will make a tat look like a silly thing to do...I still have the chain ring claw scar on my *left* calf...that was a good one...

jerk
03-15-2008, 08:49 PM

word.

cologne is the new tatoo. discuss.

jerk

Ginger
03-15-2008, 09:00 PM
word.

cologne is the new tatoo. discuss.

jerk

My buddy picked me up for dinner and he reeked like he'd been doing heavy manual labor for 5 days with no shower...it was raining or something so I couldn't just open the window. We've been buddys for a long time...and the stench was turning my stomach...so...
"Hey, didja get a chance to shower before you came? You can use mine if you didn't..."

turns out it was the new cologne that his girlfriend had picked out for him. She said it was "musky"

Yeah...whatever. Why is it that men's colognes think that smelling like old sweat is sexy? Of course, it did explain why some bars had begun to smell like locker rooms.

Steve in SLO
03-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Try a Rookie Mark sport. They rub off.

I have a friend who has a tattoo of a rookie mark. Pretty damn funny the reactions he gets...

M.Sommers
03-15-2008, 10:19 PM

The other side of the coin offers...

None of us can weld/lug a frame, yet we all have opinions on frames, none of us can build sunglasses, yet we judge Oakleys and now Giro shades and none of us prolly make wine or beer, yet we judge em' all day long (DarrenCT can make beer tho).

Marketing oneself as a freak offering the, "UCI made up the line of 'legal' and 'illegal' just for them" offers insight into how he's unable to 'get' it (aka how the world works).

The fact that's been without a sponsor, yet filled with talent ought to help the lightbulb turn on too; Webcor asked him to remove them, they were't looking to promote a 'badboy' image and $pon$or$ support the big picture. They gave him an option, time to remove them and he took a left turn. If David Clinger wants to start up 'Clinger Racing' all the power to him, but in the meantime, there's got to be some common sense/middle ground for him to locate/find and work with. Getting arrested in PA and sent to jail only supports his badboy image, not wanting to fit into a team sport, society or even a bar only raise one's eyebrows higher. Some say Dave is a loser, a self-indulgent, immature wannabe who let his team, his teammates down. “I knew it (the facial tatt) would be controversial, but I kind of just did it… I needed it, and I wanted it." Hmm...he uses the word 'I' four times, doesn't sound like a team guy.

“It’s somewhat of a publicity stunt (the facial tatt) as well,” he (Clinger)added. “Nobody in the cycling community has a facial tattoo.” Of the team's reaction to have the tattoo removed Dave offered he was ready, "To walk in there and tell them to fire me if they wanted to." Lastly, he had his face inked for a race of people for which he read a few books and saw a documentary...not exactly deep or brilliant stuff. Most think Dave spent too much time with a bong or pipe. :rolleyes:

Dr. Phil would simply ask, "Hey Dave, those tatts...how they working for ya?"

But, like you say, he's too good to not be racing (and thankfully Ball has built a team straight out of a western movie ala 'The Magnificent Seven'. :) ).

:beer:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:SUDrQFiwAAQJ:www.velonews.com/news/fea/7520.0.html+david+clinger+webcore&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:SUDrQFiwAAQJ:www.velonews.com/news/fea/7520.0.html+david+clinger+webcore&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:PVh2pJjXvI8J:www.cyclingnews.com/features/%3Fid%3D2005/webcorcamp+david+clinger&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGQ7eTbwLk

Louis
03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
I just thought of something. Ask David Lee - you have to figure that at least one of his tats is cycling-related.

flux
03-15-2008, 10:23 PM

girlie
03-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Dr. Phil would simply ask, "Hey Dave, those tatts...how they working for ya?"

you did not just fake quote Dr. Phil :crap:

RudAwkning
03-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Here we go again...

Here we go again indeed :rolleyes:

Dude
03-16-2008, 12:58 AM
I know he is evil because he hates new jersey. Anyone who hates NJ must have a warped sense of the world.

Dude
03-16-2008, 01:00 AM
I want to know who got this tattoo. I gotta say it looks ree-deeck-you-luss.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93537824@N00/1517038018/

toaster
03-16-2008, 06:49 AM

A tattoo of Lance?

That's going to look dated real quick.

BumbleBeeDave
03-16-2008, 07:01 AM
So Breguet doesn't like Tattoos? So what? So mentioning Clinger elicits some strong emotions . . . again, so what? We've covered this ground (several times) before. The fact that he would get the tattoos says something about him. The fact that he would have friends here who would jump to his defense because they know him also indicates something about him.

CSIowner . . . I've thought about a tat, but never quite followed through because once it's there, it's THERE. but I have and still do consider it. Something small, something tasteful, something people will easily understand means I'm a serious cyclist--and something I can honestly say to myself I wouldn't be ashamed to still have there twenty years from now. A small chainring. A small bicycle. Maybe a small Serotta "S" Pretty safe--I can't see myself not having a Serotta of some sort when I turn seventy.

I'd put it small and on the outside of my ankle so that it shows with bike socks, but can be easily hidden under regular socks. and maybe make it some design that could be easily enlarghed or added to if you want to. Like the small chainring--if you like it, you could add some more to make a chain of them around your ankle. So you'll still have options as to how much you get and how much others see.

BBD

J.Greene
03-16-2008, 07:47 AM
CSIowner . . . I've thought about a tat, but never quite followed through because once it's there, it's THERE. but I have and still do consider it. Something small, something tasteful, something people will easily understand means I'm a serious cyclist--and something I can honestly say to myself I wouldn't be ashamed to still have there twenty years from now. A small chainring. A small bicycle. Maybe a small Serotta "S" Pretty safe--I can't see myself not having a Serotta of some sort when I turn seventy.
BBD

Be careful with an S Dave. You never know if Serotta will be owned by Trek someday. Or worse, Pacific.

JG

BumbleBeeDave
03-16-2008, 08:05 AM
. . . I'd put it where I could hide it! :beer:

BBD

mike p
03-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Anytime I see tats especially on women I can't help but think trailer park trash. I know, I know, forgive me father for I have sinned. I know many who make much more $$ and are much classier than I have tats but I can't shake it. Blame my great parents or the church or whatever. I guess it was instilled in me as a kid and it stuck.

Mike

RudAwkning
03-16-2008, 08:18 AM
So Breguet doesn't like Tattoos? So what? So mentioning Clinger elicits some strong emotions . . . again, so what? We've covered this ground (several times) before. The fact that he would get the tattoos says something about him. The fact that he would have friends here who would jump to his defense because they know him also indicates something about him.

I'd put it small and on the outside of my ankle so that it shows with bike socks, but can be easily hidden under regular socks. and maybe make it some design that could be easily enlarghed or added to if you want to. Like the small chainring--if you like it, you could add some more to make a chain of them around your ankle. So you'll still have options as to how much you get and how much others see.

BBD

Dave,

It's not a matter of Breguet disliking tattoos. When someone says something like "Very, very, very few tattooed people are cool. Definitely less than the general population", it's just ignorance and bigotry. First off, most people cover 90% of their body, so you'd never know if they had a a tattoo or not. Most people don't immediately disclose that they have a tattoo during a conversation either. And, as you recently admitted you'd do, some folks "hide" them, so you'd never know.

On top of that, someone started a topic in regards to wanting a tattoo and he immediately saw the opportunity to jump in and go "oh boy, let's hate! Let me find the most absurd examples to exemplify my disdain!".

It's one thing to dislike tattoos. I disklike a lot of **** (like carbon bikes.....but many of my friends like carbon). It's another thing to make a blanket statement about people with tattoos. Go ahead and insert, "black people", "asian people", "gay people" or even "cyclists" into the statement above and you'll see what I mean.

To dislike tattoos is one thing. To judge people with them is another.

Of course maybe he forgot to insert a :) when he typed it. It's the internet, so it's all open to misinterpretation :D

xjoex
03-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Nothing wrong with a cycling related tat, if your going to get something on you , it might as well have meaning to you.

I have a chakra that looks like a bike ring on my arm. Its rad.

-Joe

bward1028
03-16-2008, 08:50 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/upperclasstwit42/103_1213.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
03-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Dave,

It's not a matter of Breguet disliking tattoos. When someone says something like "Very, very, very few tattooed people are cool. Definitely less than the general population", it's just ignorance and bigotry. First off, most people cover 90% of their body, so you'd never know if they had a a tattoo or not. Most people don't immediately disclose that they have a tattoo during a conversation either. And, as you recently admitted you'd do, some folks "hide" them, so you'd never know.

On top of that, someone started a topic in regards to wanting a tattoo and he immediately saw the opportunity to jump in and go "oh boy, let's hate! Let me find the most absurd examples to exemplify my disdain!".

It's one thing to dislike tattoos. I disklike a lot of **** (like carbon bikes.....but many of my friends like carbon). It's another thing to make a blanket statement about people with tattoos. Go ahead and insert, "black people", "asian people", "gay people" or even "cyclists" into the statement above and you'll see what I mean.

To dislike tattoos is one thing. To judge people with them is another.

Of course maybe he forgot to insert a :) when he typed it. It's the internet, so it's all open to misinterpretation :D

. . . to one small quote and a posted pic. I see dislike in what he says, but I have no idea whatsoever why he doesn't like people with tattoos. There could be a hundred reasons why he feels that way that don't have anything to do with bigotry or hatred. I'm not saying I agree with him, I'm just saying it's no surprise that he said it because he's said it before. Calm down . . .

BBD

RudAwkning
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
. . . to one small quote and a posted pic. I see dislike in what he says, but I have no idea whatsoever why he doesn't like people with tattoos. There could be a hundred reasons why he feels that way that don't have anything to do with bigotry or hatred. I'm not saying I agree with him, I'm just saying it's no surprise that he said it because he's said it before. Calm down . . .

BBD

Sry. Maybe I read a little to into it :)

But I'm also conscious of when I make stupid blanket statements about things. There's a difference between me saying "carbon bikes suck and their owners are idiots" and "carbon bikes simply aren't for me". Same thing applies to most things.

Perhaps I'm also in a pissy mood because I had to be in the office at 7:30am to shutdown 60 servers, only to find out that the outage was only affecting the first floor. I missed the group ride to Mt. Diablo today for nothing :crap:

Ginger
03-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I rode with bikers...the other kind...for a while. And, while I have considered getting a tat, the photo below is the sort of thing that I saw enough of to change my mind, and should be a good question for the tat artist on the board...Hey... Shoe???

New tats, couple years old, look good. Old tats? Not so much. Even less so if the skin is exposed to light. So...Hey Shoe, have they come up with new inks that stay in one place better and age well???

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1321/917080471_dd674c5008.jpg?v=0

William
03-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Anytime I see tats especially on women I can't help but think trailer park trash. I know, I know, forgive me father for I have sinned. I know many who make much more $$ and are much classier than I have tats but I can't shake it. Blame my great parents or the church or whatever. I guess it was instilled in me as a kid and it stuck.

Mike

That's your cross to bear. That's too bad. I know quite a few people with tats from all walks of life...wall street types, law enforcement, military, and average joes. They run the same bell curve from good to bad as non tattooed people. I even know one guy who owns and runs a tattoo place. Covered head to toe and looks like the biker type who's appearance scares the carp out of most people. One of the nicest guys you could know who wouldn't think twice about giving you the shirt off his back....figuritivley speaking of course.

A tattoo is an image. Art. you may like it, you may not. If someone has a problem with it, that says more about them then the person wearing the image. Atmo.

I would agree that if you are going to get one, choose an image that has a deeper meaning to you. As BBD said, once it's there, it's there. That being said, if you choose to do it..more power to you. If you don't, no problem there either. It's your choice.

William

dookie
03-16-2008, 09:51 AM
saw one last fall on one of the volunteer mechanics at the local MS150...no photos, but it was frickin' cool.

picture the miller high life girl in the moon logo, but replace everything imaginable with bike parts...she was sitting in a partial chainring, cogs for stars, hoisting a waterbottle not a pilsner glass...you get the idea.

mike p
03-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I agree completely.

Mike

That's your cross to bear. That's too bad. I know quite a few people with tats from all walks of life...wall street types, law enforcement, military, and average joes. They run the same bell curve from good to bad as non tattooed people. I even know one guy who owns and runs a tattoo place. Covered head to toe and looks like the biker type who's appearance scares the carp out of most people. One of the nicest guys you could know who wouldn't think twice about giving you the shirt off his back....figuritivley speaking of course.

A tattoo is an image. Art. you may like it, you may not. If someone has a problem with it, that says more about them then the person wearing the image. Atmo.

I would agree that if you are going to get one, choose an image that has a deeper meaning to you. As BBD said, once it's there, it's there. That being said, if you choose to do it..more power to you. If you don't, no problem there either. It's your choice.

William

rwsaunders
03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I rode with bikers...the other kind...for a while. And, while I have considered getting a tat, the photo below is the sort of thing that I saw enough of to change my mind, and should be a good question for the tat artist on the board...Hey... Shoe???

New tats, couple years old, look good. Old tats? Not so much. Even less so if the skin is exposed to light. So...Hey Shoe, have they come up with new inks that stay in one place better and age well???

We once had a secretary show us her parrot tattoo (on her thigh...in honor of Jimmy Buffett) at the company Summer picnic. She had recently turned 21 and she had been gaining a few pounds due to her ability to now drink legally.

Upon seeing the parrot, one of the guys commented that if she didn't curb her drinking, one day the Parrot might evolve into a Condor.

M.Sommers
03-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Two words: Sheryl Crow.
Two more words: Laser removal.

(that leg was Crow's fwiw). :D

BumbleBeeDave
03-16-2008, 12:29 PM
As BBD said, once it's there, it's there.

. . . as Ginger notes. I've also noticed that some--or is it most?--fade over time. Another mention I've seen is that what looks cool when you're 30 or 40 may definitely end up not looking cool when you're 70 or older. Certain body parts tend to, ah, change in appearance as we get older . . . :rolleyes: I guess if you go with the small and tasteful route you could also always have it lasered, as Mr. Sommers mentions.

And entirely apart from whatever I or others may think of Clinger as a person, I think he probably will have some cosmetic problems with his face when he gets older. If I'm understanding correctly, he got it done, then got it lasered, then got it RE-done? Even if he just got it done once, what does that much pricking with the needle and that much ink do to the long-term health of your skin? I wouldn't think it would be good for it . . .

BBD

Louis
03-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Another mention I've seen is that what looks cool when you're 30 or 40 may definitely end up not looking cool when you're 70 or older. Certain body parts tend to, ah, change in appearance as we get older . . . :rolleyes:

I have problems with the statement "Don't get a cycling tattoo because thirty or forty years from now it will" then insert any of a number of statements such as "will look ridiculous" or "won't reflect an important part of your life" or "your skin will be all saggy" or whatever. It seems to me that it's a denial of the most basic facts of life: Times passes, we age and change. Not doing something because one is afraid that it will show than you have aged is silly because it is attempting to deny the obvious, the irrefutable.

IMO having having a cycling tat (I don't have one, but believe me, I've thought about it long and hard) to commemorate something you love, something that is an important part of your life, would allow you later, perhaps even when you are old and decrepit and unable to ride even to the end of the block, to look back fondly at a time when life was different and you were the type of person who could ride distances that most of your friends could barely imagine. A time when you would stop for water at a country store and the folks at the counter would ask you "Where are you riding from?" and when you tell them their jaw drops because they have never imagined someone riding that far on a bicycle. Not that that cyclist is necessarily better or worse than the person I'll be when I'm 70 (if I'm lucky enough to get there) just that he will have been a different part of what will hopefully continue to be an interesting life.

Just because my body is inexorably changing does not mean that I should be in denial. If you want a tat, cycling related or not, get it. Yes, it will fade. So what? Eventually we all end up in the same place - dead.

Ginger
03-16-2008, 01:23 PM
More apt advice would be to get the tat you want. If you can't afford to get the tat you want, wait until you have enough money to go to who you want and have them ink you with what you want.

BumbleBeeDave
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I have problems with the statement "Don't get a cycling tattoo because thirty or forty years from now it will" then insert any of a number of statements such as "will look ridiculous" or "won't reflect an important part of your life" or "your skin will be all saggy" or whatever. It seems to me that it's a denial of the most basic facts of life: Times passes, we age and change. Not doing something because one is afraid that it will show than you have aged is silly because it is attempting to deny the obvious, the irrefutable.

IMO having having a cycling tat (I don't have one, but believe me, I've thought about it long and hard) to commemorate something you love, something that is an important part of your life, would allow you later, perhaps even when you are old and decrepit and unable to ride even to the end of the block, to look back fondly at a time when life was different and you were the type of person who could ride distances that most of your friends could barely imagine. A time when you would stop for water at a country store and the folks at the counter would ask you "Where are you riding from?" and when you tell them their jaw drops because they have never imagined someone riding that far on a bicycle. Not that that cyclist is necessarily better or worse than the person I'll be when I'm 70 (if I'm lucky enough to get there) just that he will have been a different part of what will hopefully continue to be an interesting life.

Just because my body is inexorably changing does not mean that I should be in denial. If you want a tat, cycling related or not, get it. Yes, it will fade. So what? Eventually we all end up in the same place - dead.

. . . has an excellent point. I had not thought about it that way. I stand corrected, Sir . . .

BBD

William
03-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Well put sir. :beer:

William

shoe
03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
this goes out to ginger as to will the newer tattoos age better than the ones of yesteryear...and what roll does the sun play...well leave anything out in the sun and see what happens...to make the tattoos last longer we just have the clients remain indoors from 10 am to 4 pm(the rest of their life)...and only eat grass fed veal...and they will last forever..unfortunately the vegetarians are SOL...they have gotten better over the years. the sun will beat down any tattoo over time so keep it covered or use some sunblock.....the thing to remember is your wildest dream is not always the best tattoo idea....it is an image that has to last a long time and will change a bit over time so it is important to realize that. pick an image that is clean and readable and that will look good even over time - the lines and color will soften up to some extent. everyones skin is different and that can play a roll as well. also it is important to choose someone that will do a good job of your tattoo. look at their portfolio. don't just assume since they work in a shop that they are good...look at their photos and see if the tattoos they have done are clean and readable....if you are unsure of what cycling tattoo to get ..simply become a triathlete do an iron man and just get the logo....most people that get ironman tattoos are not as cool as the general population( insert sarcasm-see previous comments above). i have done the serotta s before but no dancing bananas.. i would be open to serotta flying me to an event to tattoo serotta logos and dancing bananas however...good luck with your decision...if you have any general tattoo questions just let me know....dave

RudAwkning
03-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Got this done in December shortly after my b-day as a gift to myself. Sort of a way to comemorate cycling as a part of my life. Working pro-bono at Stone's Cyclery for the last 2 1/2 years, completing the "3 peaks in 3 days" extravaganza over Turkey day weekend, signing up for the 200k and 300k brevets, getting my Kirk (my first modern Campy equipped bike!), etc. It just seemed like a good way to celebrate all that. It was especially cool as a customer of ours, who bought a Bob Jackson from us a year earlier, did the tat. He was more stoked than I was. As it gracefully fades, I'll just call it petina of the skin :D

M.Sommers
03-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Got this done in December shortly after my b-day as a gift to myself.

Wow, that is pretty cool.

William
03-17-2008, 03:08 AM
For you PDX folks......

If you feel like you want to finally get that artwork inked , go down to "A 21st Century Studio-tattoo" and ask for Lyon. Tell him Big Bill sent you.

William

PS: If he gives you the blank stare, just tell him I'm the guy who used to whoop up on him at JD's. :cool:

stevep
03-17-2008, 05:08 AM
thats nothing.
e-richies first tattoo was to commemorate campagnolos arrival at modern shifting...

it reads...

syncro 1 will last forever.

seriously.
sounds funny now but a year later he looked into getting his arm removed... cost too muchmo.

bostondrunk
03-17-2008, 06:01 AM

Kind of like how Tom Danielson could ride circles around -everyone- here, but y'all feel free to cut him up!
So he doesn't like Clinger's tattoo. Neither do most people in the free world...

Big Daddy
03-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Kind of like how Tom Danielson could ride circles around -everyone- here, but y'all feel free to cut him up!
So he doesn't like Clinger's tattoo. Neither do most people in the free world...

thats the problem...dude is riding circles when he is suppose to be riding in a straight line! :bike: :beer:

to everyone wanting and thinking about getting a tattoo, regardless of the image...think about about what and where you want it, and just do it.

do not let anyone here persuade you from what you want to do to your body.(legally and safe of course). Assuming you are going to a safe studio to have it done and not down in Haiti or something.

I came from great parents, a great church...and lo and behold a tattoo ended up on my leg! ;)

Opinions and a55holes people, everyone has them...do what you want to and enjoy.

M.Sommers
03-17-2008, 07:03 AM
A tattoo of Lance?

That's going to look dated real quick.

I thought you wrote, "A date with Lance, that's always quick."

:D

http://socialitelife.buzznet.com/2007/11/30/lance_armstrong_on_his_makingout_marathon.php

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/07/22/early.lance/001088032.jpg

manet
03-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Steelhead
03-17-2008, 07:26 AM

Is that a "Lance in retirement" tattoo? He looks fat and is riding a Colnago.

M.Sommers
03-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Is that a "Lance in retirement" tattoo? He looks fat and is riding a Colnago.

The Lance tattoo, is that a saddle sore...or herpes?

:D

Flat Out
03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Got this done in December shortly after my b-day as a gift to myself. Sort of a way to comemorate cycling as a part of my life. Working pro-bono at Stone's Cyclery for the last 2 1/2 years, completing the "3 peaks in 3 days" extravaganza over Turkey day weekend, signing up for the 200k and 300k brevets, getting my Kirk (my first modern Campy equipped bike!), etc. It just seemed like a good way to celebrate all that. It was especially cool as a customer of ours, who bought a Bob Jackson from us a year earlier, did the tat. He was more stoked than I was. As it gracefully fades, I'll just call it petina of the skin :D

Well done, sir. Love it.

J.Greene
03-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I admire and like people who have the confidence and self esteem to go against convention. With that said, Clinger's tats seem to be a bit foolish. I don't have to live with them, or him and only wish him the best. It does not suprise me that he'd not find much acceptance in a place like this. Look at the girl to the right, she's the anti Clinger.

JG

Steelhead
03-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Google this: Bicycle Chainring Tattoo Project

I like what this guy is doing and how he has different chrainrings done from shops around the world. Haven't seen a recent update in awhile, but I like what he is doing. :)

goonster
03-17-2008, 09:39 AM
what looks cool when you're 30 or 40 may definitely end up not looking cool when you're 70 or older.

At 70, or older, a faded tattoo will be the last thing keeping me from looking cool.

RudAwkning
03-17-2008, 10:47 AM
At 70, or older, a faded tattoo will be the last thing keeping me from looking cool.

Agree. At age 70+, I can see myself having MANY more regrets than just a tat :D

andy mac
03-17-2008, 03:23 PM

+1000

Ginger
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
+1000

Looks like if she'd (I'm assuming she ) had just gotten it a few inches lower it would be as sharp and sexy as when she first got inked...

sort of like real estate...location location location!

Ginger
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Now...the OP didn't ask our opinions about whether or not to get a tat...what they asked was if anyone had one, to show them!

We've had a few here...c'mon. I *know* others on this forum have cycling related tats...I've seen a few of them (only ones that are safe for viewing at work...really)

So...doesn't anyone else here have a cool cycling tat? (their own...not something they fished off the web?)

Grant McLean
03-17-2008, 03:32 PM
I admire and like people who have the confidence and self esteem to go against convention.

JG

at our shop, "going against convention" would be remaining tat-free !!

-g

M.Sommers
03-17-2008, 04:18 PM

-g

GREAT point!

Old-fashioned...hopefully it never goes completely out of style. How true, to be cool nowadays, one might *try* not to get a tatt.

Clinger mentioned his fiancee was a part of the decision for his facial tattoo, I wonder...did they get married after all...and will the marriage last as long as the tattoo? How many tattoos will the likes of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears etc have removed based on lost loves and current romps?

http://www.tmz.com/2008/03/13/brits-tats-disappearing-faster-than-her-career/

Too Tall
03-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I have a friend who has a tattoo of a rookie mark. Pretty damn funny the reactions he gets...
Sweet :) Good sense of humor. Under the right circumstances it can be quite caliente'

ericspin
03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Lots of ink here but oddly enough not cycling related.........yet. I'll have to download some pics. More totem-like..........

J.Greene
03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
-g

At my office everyone is old, Republican, baptist, prudish, boring, and not tatooed. I make a living off those people, but my heart has tats and earrings.

JG

Kahuna
03-19-2008, 12:53 AM
One of my faves, the chainring "badge of honor" (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/leoego/).

-K

andy mac
03-19-2008, 06:34 AM
At my office everyone is old, Republican, baptist, prudish, boring, and not tatooed. I make a living off those people, but my heart has tats and earrings.

JG

yikes, they are often the truly scary ones!

behind closed doors....

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Steelhead
03-19-2008, 06:49 AM

JG

Kinda like the Govenor(s) of New York? ;)

What is a "rookie mark"?

Steelhead
03-19-2008, 06:50 AM
ooops, governors

ClutchCargo
03-19-2008, 07:33 AM

What is a "rookie mark"?

Kinda not! last time I looked these governors were Dems, from their actions evidently not prudish, from the ink they're getting, not boring, and not that old (at least compared to this forum's demo)! :D

think the 'rookie mark' referred to is the greasy chainring imprint on a fred's calf.

P.S. hey, csiowner, how about my avatar as a tattoo? a little bit of the Haring karma!

Ride on!

M.Sommers
03-19-2008, 07:36 AM

What is a "rookie mark"?

Governor of NY's badge/tattoo of honor = herpes

Ken Robb
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I have a really cool one on my calf that looks like the teeth on my big ring---I didn't really plan to have it---it kind of just happened. :)

Ginger
03-19-2008, 03:05 PM
I have a really cool one on my calf that looks like the teeth on my big ring---I didn't really plan to have it---it kind of just happened. :)

You know...it is incentive to keep your drivetrain clean.

Ken Robb
03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
You know...it is incentive to keep your drivetrain clean.
I clean it all the trime--with my calf :rolleyes: .

stevep
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM

and it was free!!