PDA

View Full Version : Technique for aquaseal on Tubulars...

tbushnel
03-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I thought about trying the aquaseal treatment on my bad weather tubular wheels so the base tape doesn't get so yucky. Any advice on technique?
Apply with brush, gloved finger...?
Is aquaseal the way to go, or could you use liquid latex (I think I have both sitting around somewhere) or is there a preferred product.
any help is appreciated. :)

ted.

03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
For heavy-duty rain-repellency, the Aquaseal approach is much better -- I'm talking about cross conditions or daily riding through floods. In Seattle you are near the end of the rainy season so you might just want to go the latex route. Nothing particularly wrong with Aquaseal but it might be a bit overkill.

Everyone has their own Aquaseal routine but I like a two-step process. First, before you start, use a toothbrush and soapy water to scrub the tire really clean (doing this while mounted on the rim and inflated). I then give a coat or two of latex for good measure first of all; you can apply the latex to a wet tire but let it dry thoroughly before using Aquaseal. The first Aquaseal step is to use a toothbrush to work the Aquaseal into the sidewall texture and whatever part of the base tape is exposed. If you don't do this, water and dirt just get underneath. Then before letting the stuff dry, apply a smooth but thin coat (thick enough that fabric texture doesn't show through; sagging or lumpy Aquaseal doesn't really do anything for you). For that coat, I am going for actual sidewall protection and for good cosmetics, so I tend to use a finger wrapped in saran wrap or a really well-fitting synthetic glove. Don't leave ridges or lumps behind. And then let it dry somewhere that's dust-free -- you'll be amazed how much dust the stuff attracts in 24 hours, not to mention dog hair, lint, etc. And of course if a kid gets hold of a fresh Aquaseal job, you have just Aquaseal-fingerprinted your entire house. Do be sure to work the Aquaseal into the base tape area -- you can actually smooth over the crack between the rim and the tire.

Louis
03-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm wondering, is there a group of cyclists that is more into rituals than tubular users? If so, I'd like to know who they are... ;)

tbushnel
03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
11.4 - once again, thanks for the detailed info. I think I will probably leave it at liquid latex for now. Good to know the full deal for next winter/cross though.

Louis - don't be hatin :D - I have a thing for clean wheels and tires :beer: . Cleanliness is next to.. next to... well, you know.

Ted.

Hank Scorpio
03-15-2008, 09:49 PM
To get Aquaseal really smooth run an ice cube over the top of it applying light pressure.

03-15-2008, 11:37 PM
To get Aquaseal really smooth run an ice cube over the top of it applying light pressure.

Hey, you're just proving Louis' point.

Anyway, that's something you learned from the former Gov of New York. So no points for you on this one.

03-15-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm wondering, is there a group of cyclists that is more into rituals than tubular users? If so, I'd like to know who they are... ;)

Ummm, how about those people who try to figure out how to solder the ends of their brake and shifter cables?

Or how about anybody who races cross? How many laps to figure out whether to go down 1.25 psi in pressure?

Anyway, it's not ritual. It's technology. :)

tbushnel
03-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Ummm, how about those people who try to figure out how to solder the ends of their brake and shifter cables?

Whats so bad about that. I feel I am being unfairly labeled :) .
ted