PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Hamilton sighting...

SoCalSteve
03-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi all,

I was in a bike store (in Santa Monica) this AM when who walks in (all kitted out in Rock Racing black and neon green) but Tyler Hamilton...

He was there to just add air to his rear tire as he was heading out to meet the rest of the team on a training ride.

I asked him if he was racing the next day and he was very warm, nice and approachable. He asked about the course and I told him that I didnt have a clue, but it was next to LAX. A salesman (who was there behind the counter) said that it was probably going to be a very boring race for Tyler as it was long, flat and 2 U-turns and that was the whole course...

I then said that if he got bored, he could just look up and watch the planes take off and land. Tyler seemes mildly amused by this.

All in all, he seemed like a very nice man and Oh Boy, that Rock Racing kit and bike is surely something else! Quite a statement!!!

Steve

Louis
03-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen. Maybe I should send him my old Silca floor pump. The chuck might work for him...

swoop
03-15-2008, 12:22 PM
la circuit race on manchester. they'll all be there.
i might do the 35/ 123.. or feed my buddies in the 1/2... i'm still deep in the flu... but fit.

c'mon down.

socalcycling.com

(i wont be doing anything if it rains).

to note... its a pretty lame course... out and back, head wind and tailwind. well over 40mph in the sprint. u turns. bradhouse makes the start finish crowd the road so you go from double wide lanes to cones and there are lame crashes for a completely non technical flat course.

poor tyler. last year we did 70 something miles up and down that stupid road. its mind numbing.

SoCalSteve
03-15-2008, 02:25 PM
la circuit race on manchester. they'll all be there.
i might do the 35/ 123.. or feed my buddies in the 1/2... i'm still deep in the flu... but fit.

c'mon down.

socalcycling.com

(i wont be doing anything if it rains).

to note... its a pretty lame course... out and back, head wind and tailwind. well over 40mph in the sprint. u turns. bradhouse makes the start finish crowd the road so you go from double wide lanes to cones and there are lame crashes for a completely non technical flat course.

poor tyler. last year we did 70 something miles up and down that stupid road. its mind numbing.

Its not supposed to rain tomorrow. Possible rain this evening is all.

Sherry and I will make our way down there around 10:30. I'll call-look for you.

Looking forward to it!

Steve

M.Sommers
03-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Free Tyler.

Big Daddy
03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh Boy, that Rock Racing kit and bike is surely something else! Quite a statement!!!

Steve

\m/

rwsaunders
03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
We've been looking for Mr. Hamilton.....

swoop
03-16-2008, 06:03 PM
well, tyler looked strong. hilton clark and dominque rollin came over the top of the entire rock lead out and easily took the sprint with enough of a gap to celebrate. given that rock had what looked like 12 guys there.... i was surprised to see them get worked over (kayle came in third?). i'm sure ball wasn't thrilled for the botched lead out. i think the tempo of the lead out was slower than expected and everything bogged down.

highlight of the day was hearing bahati yell my name from the field as they rolled by... there's nothing like getting a little love during the race when you're just sitting on the sidewalk.

a friend averaged 260 watts and 26mph in the field.. so it wasn't a hard race... just very very windy and choppy.
rock worked to cover all the breaks to keep everything together because their numbers favored a field sprint... so nothing got away.
its a long hard tailwind coming into a downhill sprint.. hard to time and read... lots of guys looked to be spinning out their 12s.....
clarke and rollin were impressive... had to be hitting close to 48mph...

that's my version.

i ran into the good tom (sexy parlee. did you lose weight? you looked good). i met the next director of global operations for seven.. whom i should of schmoozed harder.... he took my picture. he knew who pucci is so he's got cred in my book.
i didn't race masters. i fee great except for the remnants of the flu. so i just hung out. lots of strong folks in every category and plenty of full fields.... that's a kind of happiness.