PDA

View Full Version : How to get in shape

Too Tall
03-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Ride your dang bike ;) All kidding aside...15 of my teammates decided to have a rolling training camp woo hoo. Great concept, we ride from our local area about 100-110 each day. First day (today) from Bethesda, MD to Front Royal, Va. Second day to Charlottesville, Va. than return to Front Royal and last to DC again. So far so good. It's painful, these guys know the pain closet real real well. Trust me, I did NOT go for any sprint points or KOMs today I know better, these are long hard riding days. Have GOT to realate a hilarious "incident" at dinner that produced tears. One of the 18 yrs. old guys asks to get out of the table 'cause he has to pee real bad...just than it causes another dewd to go into full hamstring cramp...the kid looks desperate I ask Mr Cramp to haul his fanny out of way and walk it off besides the kid is gonna wet himself...Mr Cramp says no he has to wait...what a moron...so I'm holding on to my best pal ..a Dutch super star who is not helping matters ...anywho I'm about to pee myself laughing over Mr Cramps plight and the kid is going to explode.... you had to be there. Road trips are the best.

Gimme some road trip stories, I can't get to sleep.

itsflantastic
03-14-2008, 07:59 PM
When I rode across the country two years ago, I got stuck in a huge storm in Minnesota. At first I thought I was going to outrun it and make it to camp, but I had a false sense of security because of the huge tail wind. As soon as I turned the corner to get on the road to the camp (which ended up being a few miles down it) I was riding between corn fields with a 60+ mph side wind.

Next thing I know, I get hit in the head with some corn or something.

Finally I make it to this house. I go and knock on the door, asking if I can just step inside until the storm passes. Turns out I've interupted a guys 50th wedding anniversary.

we had beer can chicken and cake. but boy, was that a strange family. I ended up camping in their back yard.

Not a funny story. No punch line. But hey, it's what I thought of.

This other time a really nice lady in the midwest (an anonymous town with a population of 127) let me sleep in her back yard. When I woke up in the morning she had written a short story about me...and Jesus. . . Me and Jesus!

I didn't tell her I was Jewish :rolleyes:

Bicycles!!! Enjoy the rest of your riding!

regularguy412
03-14-2008, 10:38 PM
This other time a really nice lady in the midwest (an anonymous town with a population of 127) let me sleep in her back yard. When I woke up in the morning she had written a short story about me...and Jesus. . . Me and Jesus!

ROFL.

The truth is stranger than fiction.

Mike in AR :beer:

navclbiker
03-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Is that White's Ferry in the 3rd pic? I went there last weekend and they were closed for the (still) winter season.

stevep
03-15-2008, 03:50 AM
looks like fun giant man.

show those punks where its at.

bcm119
03-15-2008, 04:05 AM
damn... not even a little green tinge to those trees yet? looks bleak.

stevep
03-15-2008, 04:10 AM
damn... not even a little green tinge to those trees yet? looks bleak.

they are in alaska.
cant be like that in virginia.

bcm119
03-15-2008, 04:12 AM
they are in alaska.
cant be like that in virginia.
Must be Fairbanks... I think the daffodils are out in Juneau.

KeithS
03-15-2008, 05:32 AM
itsflantastic wrote:

....60+ mph side wind.

Next thing I know, I get hit in the head with some corn or something......

....we had beer can chicken and cake. but boy, was that a strange family. I ended up camping in their back yard.

You may have been hit by a piecce of Dorothy's house?

Midwestern hospitality at it's finest. Those are my probably my relatives, watch who you're calling strange! :rolleyes: Probably not though, my peeps are mostly teetotalers, and beer can chicken sounds just too exotic. That evangelical sister who thought you were pedaling for Jesus, sounds like my aunt Nancy.

You know you have become a part of their legends too. "Remember that time that Jewish kid rode in here during that thunderstorm at Torvald and Helga's anniversary? Wasn't that something?" Lake Wobegon is probably a cultural phenomenon lost on some, but as strange as Gary Keillor is he's spot on. It's where I'm from, not where I am.

Great stories all. TT, thanks for starting the thread.

johnnymossville
03-15-2008, 06:35 AM
When I rode across the country two years ago, I got stuck in a huge storm in Minnesota. At first I thought I was going to outrun it and make it to camp, but I had a false sense of security because of the huge tail wind. As soon as I turned the corner to get on the road to the camp (which ended up being a few miles down it) I was riding between corn fields with a 60+ mph side wind.

Next thing I know, I get hit in the head with some corn or something.

Finally I make it to this house. I go and knock on the door, asking if I can just step inside until the storm passes. Turns out I've interupted a guys 50th wedding anniversary.

we had beer can chicken and cake. but boy, was that a strange family. I ended up camping in their back yard.

Not a funny story. No punch line. But hey, it's what I thought of.

wow, she knew you were jewish just like jesus eh? LOL hmmmmmmm

toaster
03-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Good pictures. You dudes look really PRO!

39cross
03-15-2008, 07:23 AM

I didn't tell her I was Jewish
Must have been the beard...or the beatific look in your eyes.

Great stories!

It's not easy to top TT in his own thread...your weather is a lot better than ours today.

Bud
03-15-2008, 08:06 AM

That's hilarious...did you get a copy of the story?

Kervin
03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
... Second day to Charlottesville, Va. than return to Front Royal and last to DC again.....

Where are you riding from on Sunday? I'd like to tag along for a bit.

swoop
03-15-2008, 12:57 PM
few things in life more enjoyable than the threat of seeing a friend pee themselves in public.

bikin' is good stuff.

Too Tall
03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Day two...ride from Front Royal Va to Charlottesville Va Daaaang that was hard. Today was 110 miles and two mtn. passes. To give you an idea of how bad I suk compared to these cat 1/2 guys I rode threshold on the first long climb and was a min. off and it could have been worse. Dang...the sukiness...it burns ;) hehe. Anywho, the guys are nice to me and are cool when I skip the front when they are railing it on rolling grounds altho there was a yell for "Big Guy to the front" on a very long slight downhill that went on forever AND a tailwind...I love these guys :) I wish there were something funnier than that jr. story from yesterday buttt OH BUTT the other jr. rider comes up to me today and confides "Josh my arse really hurts....do other peoples butts hurt this much too?" OMG he must think of me like dad fawk. So I supressed laughter and had a nice conversation about personal hygene. hehe. Kids.

I'm roasted. Tommorrow is only 90 miles. Thank gawd.

PS - recognize this guy from American Gladiator? Don't bother googlestaking just take my word for it. He's a doc and a cat 1 funny as hell. I've got a video of him doing a tap dance after today's ride. His idea of one upsmanship after a torturefest is to challenge guys to one legged full squats....bastid.
PS - No, that is White's Ferry. Dewds, the Va countryside is more beautiful than almost ANY french country road I've ever ridden. I can not tell a lie, it's to die for.