PDA

View Full Version : Mike Garcia Wheetset issue

sam.g
03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I own a set of custom built Mike Garcia's wheels and overall have been very pleased with his work. The set includes DT R1.1 rims with a DT 240 rear hub, Speedcific front hub and Wheelsmith spokes. I've encountered absolutely no problems with these wheels which have remained perfectly true for over 3,000 miles but have had one continuing issue. That is the rear wheel has been extremely difficult to insert between the stays of my CSi when changing a tire or fixing a flat.

This week I took advantage of a pre-season tune up special at a trusted shop and in passing mentioned the problem of inserting the rear hub. After measuring we discovered that my rear hub was actually 135mm instead of the road standard 130mm. The shop recommends buying a smaller spacer from DT for the left side but also redishing the wheel.

So what would be the best option at this point, correct the size to 130mm and redish the wheel or just leave it alone which requirers a second pair hands everytime I need to change a rear flat? BTW; the rear wheel requirers no truing, it's fine the way Mike built it.

Sam in Cincy

chrisroph
03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
You should respace it to 130 and redish it. This is not difficult to do. You might want to contact Mike and discuss the issue. Sometimes these things happen.....

znfdl
03-14-2008, 12:53 PM
You should respace it to 130 and redish it. This is not difficult to do. You might want to contact Mike and discuss the issue. Sometimes these things happen.....

+1, he will right by you.

sam.g
03-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I have no reason to believe that Mike wouldn't make it right, even after two years if I choose to contact him. However it may cost me more to pack and ship the wheel back to Mike than to let the local shop sell me the $20 DT spacer and re-dish the wheel.

The only reason can I see to leave well enough alone would be if it is a stronger build with less dishing at 135mm. Am I mistaken here?

Sam in Cincy

stevep
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
no, fix it.
you dont wanna be spreading the frame all the time... not good karma

Alan
03-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I had him retrue/retension a wheel he built for me and he paid the shipping both ways. He was very good about dealing with a minor issue. Call him to discuss.

Alan

chrisroph
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Then just do it locally. But be sure to do it. Those must be the only wheels you use on that particular bike? Its just a new spacer and a few turns with a spoke wrench and a couple checks with the dishing tool.