09-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Well, I don't understand Ugo DeRosa...

dave thompson
09-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Well.... the paint job is interesting.

weisan
09-03-2004, 09:58 AM
Push the limits.

De Rosa, Colgnago, Serotta....that's what they do and admired for by their peers.

poussez
09-03-2004, 10:19 AM
makes the gold frame Colnago did for the Pope look like a serious frame.

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2004, 10:29 AM
The "Salvador Dali" model!

BBDave

Smiley
09-03-2004, 10:29 AM
WHY , sometimes we over engineer for what purpose ?

Too Tall
09-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Yah see???? This is EXACTLY what happens when you let Italian reality shows take over a respectible bike shop. "Pimp il mio giro"

bostondrunk
09-03-2004, 10:51 AM
I honestly don't understand why they do something like this. Companies talk about how expensive it is to create the carbon molds, etc.
Why would they bother with a joke like that? I suspect you will only see the very odd sponsored rider on that embarrasement, and the odd very rich idiot who thinks he'll b e cool for owning it....

pale scotsman
09-03-2004, 11:12 AM
So that's what happened to the King frameset I left in my van to bake for a few days in the airport parking lot.

Looks like they slapped a new fork and a paint job on it. ;)

Bill Bove
09-03-2004, 11:15 AM
I honestly don't understand why they do something like this. Companies talk about how expensive it is to create the carbon molds, etc.
Why would they bother with a joke like that? I suspect you will only see the very odd sponsored rider on that embarrasement, and the odd very rich idiot who thinks he'll b e cool for owning it....

Good call oh inebrieated one. It looks to be a very expensive frame with Centuar components hanging from it.

OldDog
09-03-2004, 11:34 AM
HA!

I'll take my oldschool lugged SLX De Rosa any day. This new carbon frame is a perfect example as to how silly this industry has gotten to compete for your dollars.

A number of years back, when aluminum was just getting popular and De Rosa jumped into the fray, one of Ugo's son's was quoted in one of the magazines, to the effect: "we're not really going to produce these, are we?"

Your there kid, fight for your market share. I bet this Italian beauty is made in Tiawan.

jeffg
09-03-2004, 12:17 PM
sort of ;) It's targeted to the mid-range market supposedly, like the new Colnago E1, or perhaps the new Trek Pilot (though why they show it with a short upturned stem is beyond me).

Climb01742
09-03-2004, 12:55 PM
ugh-o derosa.

dbrk
09-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Dang. Things sure have gotten weird, no? Being already skeptical of, say, 99% of the "innovations" and "improvements" in the cycling industry, I'd say this one goes past that really stupid looking Pinarello fork for being the worst thing I have seen in a long, long time. Of course, to each his own.

It was, in fact, Ugo DeRosa himself in CycleSport in the same issue that featured Ernesto Colnago saying that DeRosa would never make carbon bikes, that they were just glued together, that this was not really what bikes were about---and clearly taking a shot at Colnago who was having so much success with the C40. I suppose I could find that magazine...somewhere....but that's a fact 'cause I remember it vividly and it stuck and I snickered to myself, "oh yeah...we'll see..." Since then carbon became the new aluminum and so now that everyone makes carbon bikes there is going to be a next...but this? I will say a novina for Ugo to come to his senses. May God and Antony and Madonna di Ghisallo be with him.

dbrk

dirtdigger88
09-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Maybe if you ate some of those funny mushrooms that I have heard about. . .no, what am I thinking- this bike would still suck.

Jason

Kevan
09-03-2004, 04:08 PM
to deflect police radar. :D

It does sorta look like a VHS tape left in a hot car.

Maybe it's meant for lumpy people.

Kevin
09-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Maybe it straightens out under a full load.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2004, 07:25 PM
. . . Paint it yellow and black and put a little bumblebee on the stem and it might look pretty cool . . . ;) ;) ;) :eek:

BBDave

shinomaster
09-04-2004, 12:29 AM
The digital image just warped when you down loaded it.

Seriously though I have had a crush on every Derosa bike I have ever laid my eyes on, but this....hmmm.....It just looks confused.