PDA

View Full Version : Diesel over $4.00 gallon

AgilisMerlin
03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
welcome to the meltdown :crap:

johnnymossville
03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
:P oh well, still cheaper than milk and bottled water.

myette10
03-14-2008, 06:13 AM
welcome to the meltdown :crap:
aka "peak oil"

Sandy
03-14-2008, 06:18 AM
I was over a friend's house yesterday. He had over 20 bikes that he is going to sell a little later this year. He uses discarded bikes that he finds in the trash or on the side of the road. Sometimes he buys used bicycles at thrift shops- Showed me a couple yesterday, one of which he bought for $19.99 minus 25%. Sometimes he just buys frames or framesets. Showed me one of them for $15. He then reconditions the entire bike, taking it completely apart and replacing/fixing whatever is necessary.

When does he plan to sell them this year?- When the weather is warmer and gasoline hits $4.00/gallon. He sells bikes each year. He anticipates this year to be an excellent one for him

:) Sunoco Sandy :)

barry1021
03-14-2008, 06:25 AM
is $110/bbl let me know. I have been an energy analyst for 20 years and cannot figure it out, other than speculation. I have been wrong wrong wrong on prices this year. Diesel is at a premium to regular gas becasue diesel is short and gas is plentiful right now

b21

Sandy
03-14-2008, 06:39 AM
is $110/bbl let me know. I have been an energy analyst for 20 years and cannot figure it out, other than speculation. I have been wrong wrong wrong on prices this year. Diesel is at a premium to regular gas becasue diesel is short and gas is plentiful right now

b21

You are an energy analyst and you can't figure it out so I wonder why I would even speculate.

Maybe because some large companies that make large profits on high oil prices want it that way, oil producing countries want it that way, or others with influence realize that high oil prices help their some of their agendas, whatever they are. Pehaps it is intentional manipulation and not fundamentals. Possible?

:) Shell Sandy :)

roman meal
03-14-2008, 06:40 AM

b21

falling dollar, demand for oil by other nations?

AgilisMerlin
03-14-2008, 06:50 AM
my grandfather was a Caltex Man :D 4over 35+ years.....on the groundfloor

now that was a LONG time ago...............prior Texaco

Sandy
03-14-2008, 06:54 AM
falling dollar, demand for oil by other nations?

Saw on televison last night pictures of Beijing, where the summer Olympics will be held. Amazing air polution because of the tremendous useage of oil products in China's expanding economy. One long distance runner has already stated that he will not run in the Olympics because ot the poor air quality. China has already stated that it will take steps prior to the Olympics to ease the problem. One of them was to take 1,000,000 autos of the road, temporarily

The dollar hit an all time low, yesterday or the day before, I believe.

Sandy

barry1021
03-14-2008, 07:03 AM
You are an energy analyst and you can't figure it out so I wonder why I would even speculate.

Maybe because some large companies that make large profits on high oil prices want it that way, oil producing countries want it that way, or others with influence realize that high oil prices help their some of their agendas, whatever they are. Pehaps it is intentional manipulation and not fundamentals. Possible?

:) Shell Sandy :)

want this, contrary to what many believe. Nor does OPEC. This move from high 80's to 110 surprised a lot of so called experts, including moi. The dollar and inflation wories clearly is the primary factor. Again contrary to what many believe, oil pricing is highly competitive, the biggest influence is clearly the Saudis, and I do not believe they want $110 oil at all. Highly public comments from Venezuela and iran about OPEC cutting production are meaningless-they ALWAYS say that becasue they cannot produce at their quotas anyway and would not have to cut....if I were a gambling man, I would short the commodity here, but that would take cajones far larger than I possess....

b21

Gothard
03-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Ahem,
Here Diesel is at 2$ a...liter.
That is 7$ a gallon to you 'mericans... :crap:

Tom
03-14-2008, 07:08 AM
The weak dollar certainly doesn't help, but is it also possible that with stock market and credit issues in the States people are investing in commodities more than before so some of this is also about speculation? In addition to increasing demand?

rphetteplace
03-14-2008, 07:10 AM
The answer to why fuel prices are skyrocketing? Simple, but we aren't allowed to talk politics :beer:

Erik.Lazdins
03-14-2008, 07:14 AM
The crack spread is worsening which drives diesel higher than it would be normally.

While regular gas is bad - diesel, jet fuel etc are worsening at a faster rate.

Its an unfortunate situation and an unfortunate term!

Good day to ride!

BdaGhisallo
03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
It doesn't help that India and China are modernizing at a fantastic rate, creating an expanding middle class that all want cars, driving up demand for crude products. I heard recently that in Beijing alone two thousand new cars hit the streets every day!! And they aren't replacements for old clunkers. That's the incremental increase in the number of vehicles on the road there!

With demand increasing like that, and not likely to slow too much for a long time to come, I can't see oil prices retreating that much.

But, even at $4 per gallon, think about the value consumers get from a gallon of gas. You can quickly travel distances that used to take folks a hundred years ago a whole day or so to go.

Dan Le foot
03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Ouch!!!
Here we are in Tucson. Maybe we will just park this 100 gallon deisel tank beast here until prices drop.
BTW
To keep ot, those are Lightspeed MT bikes up. Parlee and Ottrott are inside the Honda CRV.

WadePatton
03-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Unless you make it or grow it at home---it IS transported by diesel powered vehicles -truck, jet, ship, train. And the cost of shipping is going up.

I'll be burning a lot of corn oil this summer. ;)

97CSI
03-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Diesel is at a premium to regular gas becasue diesel is short and gas is plentiful right now. b21As a diesel driver I can tell you that diesel has been more expensive than regular at the pump for over ten years. Nothing new here.

Ouch!!! Here we are in Tucson. Maybe we will just park this 100 gallon deisel tank beast here until prices drop.Best pour some concrete. You are going to be there a while.

Dan Le foot
03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
As a diesel driver I can tell you that diesel has been more expensive than regular at the pump for over ten years. Nothing new here.

Best pour some concrete. You are going to be there a while.

Not a bad idea.
But Tucson will be 100 degrees or more in six weeks.
We have 60 gallons left in the tank. We can get to Durango with that. Will pour concrete there. Biking is better there as well.
Dan

goonster
03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
As a diesel driver I can tell you that diesel has been more expensive than regular at the pump for over ten years.

Not always. There have been brief periods during summer months when diesel was slightly cheaper than regular in PA and NJ. Even so, the current state of a 30+% premium over regular is something I've never seen before.

beungood
03-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Dudes, I stopped and filled up my Silverado Diesel bike hauler it cost me $91.00... :mad:

Louis
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
And I'm lovin' it. :D

Bring on $5 / gallon gas. Let those Hummer and Escalade drivers feel the pain. Maybe next time they will consider buying a car with better gas mileage.

bcm119
03-15-2008, 08:52 PM
And I'm lovin' it. :D

Bring on $5 / gallon gas. Let those Hummer and Escalade drivers feel the pain. Maybe next time they will consider buying a car with better gas mileage.
+1.

but I feel like drivers are "testy" lately-- more confrontations and stories of road rage floating around. Maybe a negative consequence of gas prices.

BTW regular unleaded is around 3.60 here in the Bay Area, and I've seen a few 3.89's at Chevrons and Shells.

velotel
03-16-2008, 01:14 AM
I'd love to pay 4$ / gallon instead of the 7,65$ / gallon I cough up here in France!

csm
03-16-2008, 07:37 AM
even shipping on the rails, the goods you use daily still need to get to you by truck.