PDA

View Full Version : NO! This sucks-------}}}}}}}}

Chris
03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I HATE that banner on the side. The ones up top are fine. The one on the side sucks!

davids
03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
They do promote claustrophobia, don't they?

Me no likey, also.

Too Tall
03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I dunno fellah, that's a pretty spanky picture.

DarrenCT
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
its a cool chick on a bike

whats wrong with that.

ps: post more pix of hot girls on bikes

davids
03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Put 'em here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42124), atmo.

bluekudu
03-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Funny thing is that I think I dated her for a while when she lived in UT. Ghost from the past, so to speak. (If course I have no idea if you are seeing the same banner that I am....)

handsomerob
03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I HATE that banner on the side. The ones up top are fine. The one on the side sucks!

Although, I hate all the commercials on TV and the Radio, I understand they are a necessary evil to pay the bills. I would imagine if you want to pay for the advertising space to make it blank or the server cost to keep this forum running, Ben would be happy to oblige. :rolleyes:

Russell
03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Funny thing is that I think I dated her for a while when she lived in UT. Ghost from the past, so to speak. (If course I have no idea if you are seeing the same banner that I am....)

you must be a real horn dog if you can't keep track of all your women ;)

Chris
03-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Although, I hate all the commercials on TV and the Radio, I understand they are a necessary evil to pay the bills. I would imagine if you want to pay for the advertising space to make it blank or the server cost to keep this forum running, Ben would be happy to oblige. :rolleyes:

It isn't the banner. It's the placement. Up top, down below, whatever. I didn't complain when they started putting banners up and I don't begrudge Ben a dime... When it goes on the side, it crowds the text and will interfere with pictures that are posted as well I would imagine.

Ginger
03-13-2008, 12:20 PM
This is funny.

For YEARS there has been talk about how Serotta should recognize the forum for what it is, valuable advertising space. AND there's been nashing of teeth that if Serotta doesn't use it and see that value, the forum would go away.

Then there were complaints about the banners across the top of the forum.

So here, Serotta IS using the forum to advertise (at least they aren't google ads!) their own stuff, and people are complaining!

They've actually made use of an advertising space that they've been paying for for years turning it from a cost center to something that has some value

and people are complaining!

HILARIOUS!

I don't like the side banners either...but they don't interfere with my surfing and they are Serotta specific and I'm on the Serotta forum so it's all good!
If they do start putting up google ads there...I will pitch a fit...

:)

Have a happy :banana:

rwsaunders
03-13-2008, 12:21 PM

He was a Governor in his past life. :cool:

BUTCH RIDES
03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
hello rental space
bye

Big Daddy
03-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Wear Rock and Republic jeans... \m/

dleroy
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
The obvious here is simple. Ben & Co. are kind enough to provide us this space to discuss and post pictures of all manner of things bike. He doesn't even seem to mind if some of us find bikes from other builders preferable to his own. This takes courage and generosity. But after all Ben is running a business and it is his website. If he wants to advertise his excellent products, the sale of which pay for our playground, who are we to object? Thanks Ben; and by the way, if I decide to go for one of those nice Ti Legends do you suppose I could get that young lady in the blue jersey to help with my fitting?

BURCH
03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I actually didn't even notice the side banner today or whenever it appeared. Non issue to me.

MilanoTom
03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I sort of like the side ad ... she's cute, smiling, and heading right for me.

It's a total departure from reality.

Tom

Blue Jays
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
She looks pleasant & friendly, is wearing vibrant & colorful Serotta togs, and is riding a very nice Serotta bicycle. Nothing wrong with any of that.

DarrenCT
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM

lucky jeans

slim fit

thnx.

Ginger
03-13-2008, 12:39 PM

Nah their models don't look like they're having fun...all dour and pretending to be too cool.... it doesn't look like their jeans are giving them the warm Ahhhs...and *they're* getting paid to wear them...

(I can hear the photog now...ok, you need to look like you came from the mean streets, and all the models hear is "mean"...and wind up looking like a stepford wife...)

The Serotta model on the other hand looks like she's having a great time...

GoJavs
03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I like the ad. She's got a nice smile and cool shoes.

ss-jimbo
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't hate the ad, but I do think that flipping the leg gripper on shorts up is ridiculous atmo. Just buy a bit shorter shorts.

regularguy412
03-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't hate the ad, but I do think that flipping the leg gripper on shorts up is ridiculous atmo. Just buy a bit shorter shorts.

It's a tri-geek- thing, IMHO. It's OK by me; helps to sort'em out on the road before ya get too close.

Mike in AR:beer:

Big Daddy
03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
It's a tri-geek- thing, IMHO. It's OK by me; helps to sort'em out on the road before ya get too close.

Mike in AR:beer:

WRONG!!!

Big Daddy
03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Nah their models don't look like they're having fun...all dour and pretending to be too cool.... it doesn't look like their jeans are giving them the warm Ahhhs...and *they're* getting paid to wear them...

(I can hear the photog now...ok, you need to look like you came from the mean streets, and all the models hear is "mean"...and wind up looking like a stepford wife...)

We're all for sale one way or another honey. \m/

e-RICHIE
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
i don't see my banner.
'am using IE on a dell boxmo atmo.

Fat Robert
03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
the flipped leg gripper is so wrong

so are the blue socks and clown shoes

(if you're a true style-a-nista like the fatro, you tug your shorts up so you look like sean yates circa '92 and rock white socks with traditional black shoes. anything else is vulgar and depraved)

nothing wrong with the ad itself, by the way

CarbonCycles
03-13-2008, 12:56 PM
If the banner ad bothers you, then either disable all scripts and images on your browser or you might not have enough things to worry about?

MilanoTom
03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
She looks pleasant & friendly, is wearing vibrant & colorful Serotta togs, and is riding a very nice Serotta bicycle. Nothing wrong with any of that.

Wow, you're right. I didn't notice the bike.

Tom

David Kirk
03-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I can't believe that anyone would have the gaul to complain about an ad on a free forum.

No one is entitled to this forum. I'm glad to see Serotta better utilizing the forum to aide in sales. The better Serotta does with sales the longer they will keep this open.

There are some forums out there without ads......I should think if they bother anyone they could go there instead.

With all due respect,

dave

Big Daddy
03-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Wow, you're right. I didn't notice the bike.

Tom

She's no Amy Wallace- \m/

WadePatton
03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Well, this place was a simple quiet(!) retreat from the absolutely completely totally obnoxious over-bannered sites found everywhere else. It's one of the things that really sucked me in at first.

Yeah the ads we see now are all Ben-terrific. And that's nothing I would complain about.

But I fear that it could lead to -at some point- becoming Jonny-Got-Bucks advertising flashing popup banner hell.

I haven't bought or sold any internet advertising, so I don't know what kind of coin is involved.

So Ben and family, thanks for the days without banners. I truly appreciated that.

BUTCH RIDES
03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Hello maybe we can all send in 5 bucs for a forum ad. atmo
bye

Fat Robert
03-13-2008, 01:04 PM
She's no Amy Wallace- \m/

(idiom theft warning)

she's pretty fastmo

IXXI
03-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh crap, G. You made me remember the podium girls thing from TOC... First, "podium girls." REALLY? Really. I'm all for tradition and t&a, but for the first time, seeing the (ahem) models at TOC, the concept struck me as....slightly tarded. Maybe its just those gals looked so freaking out o place. Sorry BD. I'm sure they were fun and all.

MilanoTom
03-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I can't believe that anyone would have the gaul to complain about an ad on a free forum.

No one is entitled to this forum. I'm glad to see Serotta better utilizing the forum to aide in sales. The better Serotta does with sales the longer they will keep this open.

There are some forums out there without ads......I should think if they bother anyone they could go there instead.

With all due respect,

dave

Amen. I'd been thinking the same thing (as I was back when there was an issue regarding acceptable subjects for discussion), but diplomatic writing was never one of my strong suits.

Thanks.
Tom

Grant McLean
03-13-2008, 01:09 PM

spoken like somebody over 5'7" !!!

Flip before you clip, that's my motto...

-g

93legendti
03-13-2008, 01:10 PM

With all due respect,

dave

Dave, well said. The forum is free to use and someone dares complain about an ad from our overly gracious host? I think some people must like to complain.

Serotta puts up an ad on its forum...WHO CARES?

CarbonCycles
03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
It's a serotta ad on a serotta owned board?!? It's not like serotta is throwing up a thousand advertisements (yet) for other brands or manufacturers.

shinomaster
03-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Funny. I don't mind it. MAybe I'm just staring at the girls chest.

davids
03-13-2008, 01:13 PM

With all due respect,

daveNot the ads - I completely understand. Just the placement. It's squished.

bluekudu
03-13-2008, 01:14 PM

I am sure its her. She did a little sports modeling then and it appears she is doing some now (Boulder/Denver)

Too Tall
03-13-2008, 01:14 PM
It's a serotta ad on a serotta owned board?!? It's not like serotta is throwing up a thousand advertisements (yet) for other brands or manufacturers.
PM sent ;)

M.Sommers
03-13-2008, 01:36 PM

(if you're a true style-a-nista like the fatro, you tug your shorts up so you look like sean yates circa '92 and rock white socks with traditional black shoes. anything else is vulgar and depraved)

I feel you dog. I am on the fence here, with the low testosterone in le peleton...it could be a Swedish male named 'Pat'. I looked fast at the ad and that was my initial thought. I'm all about tall DeFeet white socks. Question, are the sunglasses under or over the helmet strap? Also, I will give props to the no-gloves look and I believe it's Campy.

cliffnotes: No gloves, cool. Campy, cool. Flipped shorts grippers, uncool. No tall white socks, uncool. Faema color bike, very cool. Lastly, is it a hot blonde female or?

swoop
03-13-2008, 01:40 PM
spoken like somebody over 5'7" !!!

Flip before you clip, that's my motto...

-g

i'm with mr grant.

H.Frank Beshear
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
It's a bit cramped but I like it better than it was, after about third post the ads gone anyways. Like has been said it's a free forum if Ben want's to advertise more power to him. It was a bit of a shock the first time but I'll get used to it. Frank

Chris
03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I haven't seen anyone complain about the ads and I certainly wasn't. It's just the layout of the forum. That was all...

Gothard
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
It *is* Ben's sandbox, and they do as they please.
That said, the placement is annoying. My opinion, nothing else.

rpm
03-13-2008, 01:47 PM
If you click through on the ad you get some decent copy on why you should buy a Serotta. Last year we had threads about how lame their website was and how they needed to explain to people why they should pay a premium price to buy a Serotta instead of all the other bikes out there.

They've obviously now hired somebody who gets it, and the ads on the forum are part of a vastly improved web presence. What's good for Serotta is good for the forum. A toast to the founder of the feast. :beer:

14max
03-13-2008, 01:49 PM

woolly
03-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't like it because it makes it too obvious to others what I'm doing - which is NOT working at work! PLEASE move them back to the top!!

abqhudson
03-13-2008, 01:54 PM
<Originally Posted by David Kirk
<I can't believe that anyone would have the gaul to complain about an ad on a <free forum.
<No one is entitled to this forum. I'm glad to see Serotta better utilizing the <forum to aide in sales. The better Serotta does with sales the longer they will <keep this open.
<There are some forums out there without ads......I should think if they bother <anyone they could go there instead.
<With all due respect,
<dave

Well said and I agree. I very much appreciate the opportunity afforded by Ben's forum.
Jim

Grant McLean
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
ads are part of life...
but i wish i could scroll left, on my 12" powerbook monitor
it's a bit squished when the ad takes up the space on the right.

-g

Pete Serotta
03-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I do not think the pictures will be impacted (except smaller) I will ask.

YEp I have a large screen so things are not bad....

next step is "paid" advertising.....yep I do not know when for I am out of the loop but just "a heads up" it will be coming at sometime.

It isn't the banner. It's the placement. Up top, down below, whatever. I didn't complain when they started putting banners up and I don't begrudge Ben a dime... When it goes on the side, it crowds the text and will interfere with pictures that are posted as well I would imagine.

Pete Serotta
03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I am originally for NY, "anything is negotiable". Where would be a better placement? Thanks

I haven't seen anyone complain about the ads and I certainly wasn't. It's just the layout of the forum. That was all...

e-RICHIE
03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Where would be a better placement? Thanks
room 871 at the mayflower hotel atmo...

burlsube
03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
If you are using FireFox there is always AdBlock Plus....

Pete Serotta
03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
room 871 at the mayflower hotel atmo...

W could not afford it and it is occupied. Give us your credit card ## and we will see where it goes.... :D

davids
03-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I am originally for NY, "anything is negotiable". Where would be a better placement? ThanksThe top was fine, thanks.

Ginger
03-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I do not think the pictures will be impacted (except smaller) I will ask.

YEp I have a large screen so things are not bad....

next step is "paid" advertising.....yep I do not know when for I am out of the loop but just "a heads up" it will be coming at sometime.

Pete,
It is a matter of whoever is designing the web page having too large of a monitor and not considering the viewing audience. :)

On home computers, everyone is going to bigger and bigger monitors, but at the same time you have the proliferation of the small personal laptop for web browsing and these return to the VERY old 13" screen.

Funny how what's old is new again, yet many don't see it.

Ginger
(who designs on as big of a screen as possible...but is careful of actual page width for viewers.)

That said, this particular ad belongs in that format along the side of the page.

Please do NOT put ads on the left side of the page.

Thanks.

e-RICHIE
03-13-2008, 02:24 PM
The top was fine, thanks.
no spitzer jokes atmo.

davids
03-13-2008, 02:25 PM
no spitzer jokes atmo.I thought about pulling it out.

Blue Jays
03-13-2008, 02:26 PM
This nice low-key advertisement is fine where it is located. Those with issues should obtain a larger monitor.

Pete Serotta
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I thought about pulling it out.

Get that credit card out....

Ginger
03-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Oh yea, no argument there.

I would think that Rock and Republic could spend enough money to get enthusiastic models...

That's all.

I hear there are probably some hotties in NY who are out of a job...

hmmm...

Bill Bove
03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
she does a Liz Hatch impersonation and lowers that zipper :D

Hmmm, she's riding Campy :banana: I think I love her, more advertising Pete :banana:

IXXI
03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Aren't they supposed to be able to fake anything for coin?

I would think that Rock and Republic could spend enough money to get enthusiastic models...

That's all.

hmmm...

CarbonCycles
03-13-2008, 02:48 PM
This nice low-key advertisement is fine where it is located. Those with issues should obtain a larger monitor.

Or stop reading the forum at work...NOW GET BACK TO WORK (myself included)

quaintjh
03-13-2008, 02:52 PM

+1 (some red on the shoes works ok though)

Big Dan
03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
I like it.
We need another girl on the other side..

regularguy412
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I am originally for NY, "anything is negotiable". Where would be a better placement? Thanks
OK. I have my flame suit on.

Why not make the ads smaller and let them take up space at the bottom of each post ,, just like part of someone's signature? They could be like the quote or edit 'buttons' that are on the posts anyway. That way, the posts are not squished and the ads show up more often. The individual ads could 'rotate' among the various posts as each post is made. Picture attachments would not be affected anymore than necessary, as well.

We need to let the ads remain, as they are necessary revenue-generating items. However, forum readability is also important. I'm just searching for a compromise.

Mike in AR

MarleyMon
03-13-2008, 03:43 PM
This forum is a bargain, even at twice the price.

Chris
03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
OK. I have my flame suit on.

Why not make the ads smaller and let them take up space at the bottom of each post ,, just like part of someone's signature? They could be like the quote or edit 'buttons' that are on the posts anyway. That way, the posts are not squished and the ads show up more often. The individual ads could 'rotate' among the various posts as each post is made. Picture attachments would not be affected anymore than necessary, as well.

We need to let the ads remain, as they are necessary revenue-generating items. However, forum readability is also important. I'm just searching for a compromise.

Mike in AR

Post of the day! I love the idea.

Ginger
03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
We need to let the ads remain,

Tee hee....like you have a choice?

I prefer the ads helpfully corralled on the edges rather than being bombarded with them throughout the threads.

Um...guys...
There's a size limit on images anyhow if you're loading them directly onto the site. So the ads are probably sized with that in mind...(I don't know that for a fact...)

The ones that are larger are generally linked...

72gmc
03-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Dear Pete and Ben,

I have a big screen. She looks like she would be nice to ride with. I hope she sells a lot of Serottas. Please keep it up.

:beer:

1centaur
03-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Hey, no need to bring the French into it!

72gmc
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey, no need to bring the French into it!

I too was wondering which Gaul was complaining... but I'd like a Kirk someday so I'll try to stay on his good side.

AgilisMerlin
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
their forum.

we are guest, jmo

no brainer.....

Elefantino
03-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I had to go to Firefox to see what you all were talking about.

Camino browser kills all display ads for us Macheads.

Big Daddy
03-13-2008, 09:13 PM

That's all.

hmmm...

They do what their daddy tells them to do... \m/

as far as said hottie...I already have one freak being looked at by the courts, I don't need another one. Let "The Donald" skank around with her.

CarbonCycles
03-14-2008, 12:19 AM
PM sent ;)

Clear out your inbox :)

William
03-14-2008, 03:52 AM
I prefer the adds at the top and/or bottom. Aesthetically speaking, I think the added adds on the side are wrong. Throws off the whole symmetry of the page. Plus, if you do have a lap top, it's probably really going to cut down on the visual quite a bit.

The rolling add is a good idea. Every time the viewer goes to a new page (or refreshes) a new add is in that location. A good way to get a lot of coverage without littering up the page with too many adds. Pop ups? Don't even think about it. :no:

Yes this is Serotta's site and they can do as they please. But one would hope that they are open to suggestions on getting add space without turning off too many viewers. It's a balancing act that the advertiser has to walk without turning off too many viewers.

Atmo,
William

Tom
03-14-2008, 05:34 AM
When I first saw the change, I noticed the big garage banner at the top and thought to myself "Funny, they only are running one banner now... " and it wasn't until I had looked at two or three threads before I realized that there even was a banner over there on the right. It's funny. To me, they're less obtrusive over there than up top.