PDA

View Full Version : San Marco Regal saddle question

d_douglas
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
You know how there are two types of rails for these saddles? What is the story with the whacky ones that look like some sort of composite? Can they be used with a standard seatpost? Are they strong and reliable like the standard rails systems?

Thanks for your replies.

bostondrunk
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I've only ever seen brass and ti. What did you see?

MilanoTom
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I've seem 'em with weird looking cast aluminum rails from the pre-ti days, but recall reading somewhere that they're not very durable. I also doubt that they're any lighter than the ti-railed model.

Tom

MilanoTom
03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I've only ever seen brass and ti. What did you see?

The brass is copper-plated steel. Got one on my Grandis.

TMB
03-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I've seem 'em with weird looking cast aluminum rails from the pre-ti days, but recall reading somewhere that they're not very durable. I also doubt that they're any lighter than the ti-railed model.

Tom

Those are the ones from the '80's.

They are not lighter.

justinf
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Those are the ones from the '80's.

These are to be avoided as far as I'm concerned. . . they don't fit in very many modern seatpost designs. And as TMB noted, not light.

Kervin
03-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I had one of the cast railed ones back in the day. They came with a longer allen bolt so that it would work with a campy single bolt seatpost. They also had an adjustable tension bolt under the nose of the saddle. I used it for a very long time and at 180 pounds never had any problems (unlike the Turbo SL I used before that).

d_douglas
03-13-2008, 12:40 AM
I think I will avoid the incredibly stylish brown model that I am dying to own if it had a standard set of rails. Bummer..

justinf
03-13-2008, 05:24 AM
I guess the ti ones are the only "light" ones. Don't get me wrong, I love a Regal, and have never worried about the weight. I just have one of the cast ones that keeps getting bounced around my parts bin because it rarely fits on a post. Alas.