PDA

View Full Version : Internal brake cable routing on Merckx

IPH
03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I recently picked up a Merckx Corsa (early 90s) that has an internally routed rear brake cable in the tt. I'm going to apply framesaver this weekend.

Questions: I assume there's a guide tube in there, but does anyone know what it's made of on a Merckx? (I've read of some builders using stainless and brass). I'm a little leary of putting framesaver in the cable tube cause I can just foresee the tacky nature of Framesaver causing my rear brake to hang up on me. Is that a realistic concern?

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks.

cpg
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
No need to spray the jet vent because it's most likely made of a material that doesn't rust. Spray the frame tubes through the vent holes.

Curt

BUTCH RIDES
03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
No need to spray the jet vent because it's most likely made of a material that doesn't rust. Spray the frame tubes through the vent holes.

Curt
thank you good idea
bye

Blue Jays
03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I'll stake good money that it's constructed of stainless steel, brass, or a similar material about which you won't have to be concerned. :)

IPH
03-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Non-rusting material is certainly the only sensible choice for this application. But since I work where too many non-sensical things happen, I've learned not to assume!
Thanks again.

thwart
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I think there is a history from years ago of this tube being a rust problem.

I don't know if your frame is modern enough that frame builders had changed the way things were fabricated to using rust proof materials, but CG probably does. Just to be safe, I always goop up the cable housing with a little bit of lithium grease (or something similar) before inserting it. Makes me feel better...

And... I never sweat on that particular bike. :D

Marron
03-14-2008, 07:34 PM
The top tuge cable routing on my late 80's Corsa Extra has been rust free here in Seattle with no special treatment.

SoCalSteve
03-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Non-rusting material is certainly the only sensible choice for this application. But since I work where too many non-sensical things happen, I've learned not to assume! Thanks again.

You work on movies and TV shows as well?

Just askin'

Steve

BUTCH RIDES
03-15-2008, 09:18 AM
The top tuge cable routing on my late 80's Corsa Extra has been rust free here in Seattle with no special treatment.
mine too
bye

IPH
03-15-2008, 10:45 AM

Glad to hear that, Marron. Thanks!

IPH
03-15-2008, 10:47 AM
You work on movies and TV shows as well?

Just askin'

Steve

No, but I suspect the problem is a ubiquitous one!