PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rides for NC vacation

Elefantino
03-12-2008, 07:18 AM
OK ... my riding and life partner and I are going to the NC mountains on Sunday for a week (Bryson City), to celebrate my Big Five-O.

We're bringing the road bikes, of course. (No mountain biking for me; my back can't take it.) I've gone on Trails.com and downloaded a couple of road rides, but you all with local and/or "spring gathering" knowledge may know better ones.

Keep in mind that whilst (sorry, girl) I can climb anything, albeit often slowly, she is not a climber (yet) and doesn't want to be Hogpen-like punished.

If you have ideas, cue sheets, Web sites or other pointers for rides in the area, we'd appreciate your help.

Thanks,
E. and iheartatmo
(Mike and Anne)

Ginger
03-12-2008, 08:33 AM
OK ... my riding and life partner and I are going to the NC mountains on Sunday for a week (Bryson City), to celebrate my Big Five-O.

We're bringing the road bikes, of course. (No mountain biking for me; my back can't take it.) I've gone on Trails.com and downloaded a couple of road rides, but you all with local and/or "spring gathering" knowledge may know better ones.

Keep in mind that whilst (sorry, girl) I can climb anything, albeit often slowly, she is not a climber (yet) and doesn't want to be Hogpen-like punished.

If you have ideas, cue sheets, Web sites or other pointers for rides in the area, we'd appreciate your help.

Thanks,
E. and iheartatmo
(Mike and Anne)

girl? It's ok...whilst is not the same if it's forced.
go here:
http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/

Click on "Cue Sheets" on the left of the page. Find your town...

there ya go.

I liked riding from the NC Folk arts center up the parkway. :)

There's also a loop out of Brevard that goes through Dupont state forest and it's very nice. Seems to be a state or county marked route so you may want to do some searching on those too.

And I know of a killer climb or two out there...they build roads straight up hills...although tell Anne that I can climb most of it out there with my compact and a 13/29 and I've done it when I'm out of shape...(it just takes a bit longer...) so most of it should be a cakewalk for her!

J.Greene
03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
The bike shop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center can steer you right. It's only 10 min or so from Downtown Bryson. Breakfast over looking the Nantahal river at the Center is a great way to start the day.

JG

michael white
03-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Bryson City is great for hiking in Smoky Mtn, mtn biking at Tsali, riding the narrow-gauge train. I'm sure there's plenty of great road riding too.

ericspin
03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Man, you are wearing this birthday thing out aren't you? :) New bike, vacation in the mountains, what else you got cookin'. Hey, it's all good, I think I will use you as an example since my big 5-0 is coming up April 7. I'm sure there's something in the Serotta garage that would fit me and I would love a trip to Asheville right about now. Just remember to back me up, OK?

Eric

WadePatton
03-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry for the back trouble-I'm experiencing a bit right now myself, but have you ridden the trails at Tsali? They're not technical nor steep--far from it. IOW if I wanted an "easy" trail ride--that's where I'd be doing it.

Just sayin.

Enjoy the trip. I'll be over there in April. ;)

1centaur
03-12-2008, 10:53 AM
I will re-suggest what I did earlier in a Computrainer thread - go to Motionbased.com, click on Trail Network, search for the names of the towns you will be near, click on the road cycling hits that come up, and study the maps and elevation profiles. You will soon know what the locals with GPS devices ride a lot. At that point, you could ask about specific routes here and elsewhere and get a very good idea of the scenery and pitfalls.

Pete Serotta
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Ginger and J Greene hit the locations to check. Also LIBERY BIKE IS ASHEVILLE. Mountain biking around there is wonderful and second to none. You can rent them. If any specific questions please let me know. I envy the trip - it is a wonderful area. Also have a great 50th.......PETE

Thanks,
E. and iheartatmo
(Mike and Anne)

Elefantino
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
girl? It's ok...whilst is not the same if it's forced.
Sorry about that. I forgot it was you, not girlie, who had the whilst aversion.

Anyway, thanks!

Elefantino
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Man, you are wearing this birthday thing out aren't you? :) New bike, vacation in the mountains, what else you got cookin'. Hey, it's all good, I think I will use you as an example since my big 5-0 is coming up April 7. I'm sure there's something in the Serotta garage that would fit me and I would love a trip to Asheville right about now. Just remember to back me up, OK?
I have a feeling that subsequent birthdays will not be as lucrative!