PDA

View Full Version : Askiong advice again RE cheap frame

Dekonick
09-02-2004, 11:45 AM
OK - I rode trainers and decided they suck. I am sticking with my computrainer at home, but will get rollers for work. I am also looking at getting a crappy bike - would prefer steel, but the Nashbar road frame, and/or their touring frame are looking promising -

I need a junk bike - no name, something that really doesnt matter - something that I can crash, leave around and not worry if its stolen, etc...

I need a bike I can leave at work to ride when I am there. I will put a set of old ultegra 600 STI on the frame (8 spd) and go with a cheap fork/headset/bar option. What I want to know is: have any of you ever tried any of these crappy frames? I just need something to put on the rollers for 30 min or so, but I gotta be able to get off, ditch the bike, get dressed, and be out the door in under 2 minutes. This means the bike is gonna get trashed.

I am open to suggestions!

(also looking for good fixxie's - websites are welcome!)
Advice on a frameset? The touring frameset/fork combo for $200 looks pretty good...for what I want to do.

I decided to go with the buy a junker now, get a nice touring frame later approach...

Richard
09-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Home of the $500 frame and fork:
http://www.gvhbikes.com/

Smiley
09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
E-Bay , and make what you want out of it .

William
09-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Get your fix hear. :)

http://search.ebay.com/fixed-gear_Road-Bikes-Parts_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacateg oryZ22680Q26catrefQ3DC6QQsotrZ2QQcoactionZcompareQ QcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

William

dave thompson
09-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Here's the 'eBay bike finder' in which you can search by brand, size, price or any combination of all three criteria. Very useful.

http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/list-road-bikes.cgi

Louis
09-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Dekonick,

I’m not ashamed to admit it: these days much of my riding is on a Nashbar road frame. (My “good” frames are sitting unbuilt in the basement because of parts and “time to build them up” shortages – I’m too busy riding.) Believe it or not, if you factor in the price, it’s got to be one of the very best deals out there. I have a Kestrel EMS fork on it and can put in a good 4 to 5 hours in the saddle without feeling that the aluminum is bothering me. The handling is great, quick, but stable, and when I hammer (as best I can, which might not be a whole lot compared to others) the bike is stiff. Overall, it’s a much better frame than the old steel Trek I used to have, which handled like a truck and was as wimpy as a noodle. Compared to a CSi or a Legend the Nashbar might be a “crappy” frame, but considering the price it sure does the job efficiently. Since it doesn’t have any corrosion issues it could also serve you as a good rain bike.

Good Luck

Louis

coylifut
09-02-2004, 10:54 PM
There's a seller on ebay, applecart2, that's been selling fixed gears for a couple of years. A friend of mine bought a Panasonic last year and paid $135. It's completely adequate, especially for less than the cost to build a fixed gear wheel. No, I'm not associated with the seller in any way. It's the kind of bike you could lock out side and nor worry about it. Riding fixe on rollers is sublime.

dave thompson
09-02-2004, 11:00 PM
I bought my Schwinn fixie from applecart2 (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25&userid=applecart2) on eBay. I think I paid less than $75.00 for it. It's a great way to get involved with the fixed gear world to see if you like it.

shinomaster
09-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Forget NAshbar! Get a new old Cannondale Caad 4, or 5 on ebay or in your local shop on clearance for $500. No it's not steel. No it's not the best bike in the whole world. No it won't win the respect of your stuffy peers on this Forum.
Yes it will ride fast. Yes it will be rust free fo' evah! Yes you will give up steel for Can O' Dale! ha ha.. Ok Just kidding!! But they are great beater frames, and fairly comfy and cheep and light. Rivercity bikes in Portland Or has em' on sale!

Shinomaster (cannondale Pimp)

Oh...and if when you get it, it looks to pretty to leave out in front of your local homeless shelter--take a can O' Krylon to it!! Spray away!!

Too Tall
09-03-2004, 06:03 AM
Goodwill.

Dekonick
09-03-2004, 08:13 AM
The reason the Nashbar frame looks good to me is the cost: $99 right now!

Its a tin can, and it will only be ridden for short periods on a trainer at work. I dont want to sink any cash into it as it is just : A TRASH BIKE :

I just want something to ride at work for 30 min to an hour on a set of rollers. I want something that I can paint really ugly so it wont walk (at least not far)

I am always EXTREMELY nervous when I have my Serotta's with me at work. I trust everyone I work with, but there are alot of other people who have access or just walk into the place. (its funny - I worry less about my laptop than my bikes! Guess I have my priorities straight eh?)

Gonna check out applecart again - I have been looking at his bikes for awhile. Still think I am gonna get a Nashbar frame to build with an old set of ultegra 600 STI I have sitting doing nothing.

Gonna go for a ride - take care! :bike:

Jeff N.
09-03-2004, 08:40 AM
E-Bay , and make what you want out of it .Absolutely! Look for a C'Dale. They're all over the place. Jeff N.

Marron
09-03-2004, 11:29 AM
My current commuter/fixie/travel bike is an old Merckx Corsa Extra that came built up with DA 7 speed. I paid $350 for the whole shooting match and basically got a state of the art bike circa 1989 for about 20% of the original price and a fraction of what a comparable new frame would cost today. It fits like a glove, will probably be going long after I've stopped and still looks cool with the rainbow color scheme (admitedly in 80's purple, pink and green).

As I was riding it to work this morning I was thinking once again that this was a great bike. How do you think you'll feel about a $99 Nnashbar frame?

alembical
09-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Dekonick,
Just to echo Marron..... It does not sound to me like you want to buy a cheap new frame. For the same amount of money, you can find an older used highend frame or bike. For what you are looking for, these old bikes make the best sense. No need to spray paint a new frame, just buy a 10 + year old bike. The funny thing is that a new Scattante (or some similiarly priced new bike) is more likely to get ripped off than some old Peugot/Raleigh/Schwinn/etc.... The only people who recognize the classic bikes are the ones who would never steal them.

Alembical