PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on production carbon

KonaSS
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I am building up my "B" road bike and need some help thinking through a decision. I now have a nice steel Retrotec that is my "A" bike that will see sunny day rides and the like. I will use the "B" bike when the weather is bad, when I ride on old country chip and seal roads, and it will get bolted to the trainer for much of the winter - but it needs to be capable for fast group rides, particularly in the spring and fall.

Due to the fact that I am not very good at making up my mind, I somehow ended up with two frames in my possession - a Specialized Cromo - that blue Foco bike from a few years back, and a 2006 Specialized Roubaix S-Works.

Anyway, both of the frames are the same size, and other than the HTA, both of the frames have somewhat similar geometry. i.e. I can get both of them to fit me easily.

I can only keep one frame - the question is, which one?

I have ridden the Cromo frame before and know I like it and know it can easily serve this purpose. I have never ridden a carbon bike before, and was interested in it which is why I bought this frame.

I know the best answer is to build the Roubaix up and see if I like it, but that takes time, and takes even more time if I decide not to keep it as I have to tear it down again.

So I was looking for some thoughts from the group on production carbon, or even the Roubaix if you have direct experience.

My biggest concern is the longevity of carbon bikes. I realize that carbon is strong enough that it won't spontaneously combust, but this frame will see some use and I want it to last for many years. I am trying to think down the road 3 years. Will the Roubaix be some creaky POS with chips and deep scratches that I don't trust anymore? I am fairly confident that the Cromo will still be rolling strong in that time, and I can always get it painted if I wanted. The Roubaix, I don't know, it might be ready for the dumpster then.

Am I selling carbon short? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on this issue.

cak
03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Keep the one that can take fenders. If it is going to be the "B" bike, the winter tainer, rainy day rider, then you should be able to put some fenders on it. If neither one can wear fenders, then sell both and buy one that can. And that is my opinion (ATMO).
Andrew

Steve Hampsten
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
carbon will last just fine

those blue steel frames were pretty sweet, too - i'd take one

ridemoreoften
03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I've heard good things about the S Roubaix. At the LBS an employee sold the Sworks Roubaix for the less expensive Roubaix model and was very happy with the bike.

Grant McLean
03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Most stock bikes have a warrenty.

-g

palincss
03-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I am building up my "B" road bike and need some help thinking through a decision. I now have a nice steel Retrotec that is my "A" bike that will see sunny day rides and the like. I will use the "B" bike when the weather is bad, when I ride on old country chip and seal roads, and it will get bolted to the trainer for much of the winter - but it needs to be capable for fast group rides, particularly in the spring and fall.

Am I selling carbon short? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on this issue.

I think you may have your A and B reversed. For bad weather you want fenders. For old country chip seal roads, you want wider tires with less air pressure. For a smooth roads, fair weather only toy, you don't need those things. Which of the two, Retrotec or you-name-it-carbon-frame, fits fenders & wide tires better?

Don't tell me you're afraid your steel frame will rust in the bad weather...

KonaSS
03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Regarding fenders - I understand the sentiment, but I have found that our winter weather is either dry or it is snow and ice - unrideable with a road bike. The only really wet rides I do are when I get caught out in a spring or summer storm, something that I probably wouldn't put fenders on for. Both of the frames will handle a little wider tire, at least a 25 or so.

I would be interested in hearing from more people on the longevity of carbon. Anyone riding a 5 or 6 year old carbon frame? Maybe it's just the crowd that hangs out on this board, or maybe it is just that the material hasn't been used as long, but most of the older bikes you see here are steel.

Wayne
03-11-2008, 06:21 PM
There are 2 reasons that most older bikes are steel:

1. Steel has been used for over 100 years and is proven, as long as you can keep corrosion away which is very easy. It can also take an impact and still be usable.

2. Carbon is a relatively new material for bicycle production, it should last a long time, it doesn't corrode as steel does but the resins can possibly be affected by UV rays.

I have layed up fiberglass with resin and it is incredibly strong. My assumption is that when you try to lower the weight of a carbon frame, less layers and less resin that you may get less strength or longevity.

the real answer is to just ride and when you get tired of the bike get a new one.

Grant McLean
03-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I would be interested in hearing from more people on the longevity of carbon. Anyone riding a 5 or 6 year old carbon frame? Maybe it's just the crowd that hangs out on this board, or maybe it is just that the material hasn't been used as long, but most of the older bikes you see here are steel.

Some carbon bikes have a lifetime warranty.

I have a 1994 C-40 , not that it gets ridden that much anymore,
i've got too many bikes, but there are lots of carbon bikes pushing
15 years around with my pals. Specialized Epics, Giant (Cadex),
and Colnago carbon bikes. No big deal.

-g

dave thompson
03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Regarding fenders - I understand the sentiment, but I have found that our winter weather is either dry or it is snow and ice - unrideable with a road bike. The only really wet rides I do are when I get caught out in a spring or summer storm, something that I probably wouldn't put fenders on for. Both of the frames will handle a little wider tire, at least a 25 or so.

A good carbon bike that is well made will last many, many years. In 2003 I bought a 1994 Calfee CarbonFrames and rode the snot out of it for a year. My wife's 2000 Calfee has over 8,000 miles on it and she won't let me get her another bike, her's is just fine she says.

I think the most highly thought of carbon frames are made in the U.S, Calfee, Crumpton, Parlee spring to mind. I'm also of the mind that even mid-level carbon frames that are properly designed and well made will last more than just a few years. I don't think of carbon frames as throw-away items.

Steve Hampsten
03-11-2008, 07:01 PM
carbon doesn't wear out - ever. it's catastrophic events that kill it: cars, crashes, overhangs, drunken jumps over jersey barriers. uv may degrade it but that varies by surface treatment.

my neighbor has a 17-year-old trek alloy/carbon frame till going strong.

go to the ibis website and read what chuck ibis has to say - nothing to fear but fear and censorship itself.

atso

cak
03-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Well, as far as the longevity goes, I have little personal experiance. The only carbon frames I have owned I have not kept more than a season and they left me looking pretty good. The ones I have worked on that are more than a few years old fall into 2 categories - the ones that are babied and only ridden on nice day smooth road rides, and the ones ridden everyday everywhere. I have not seen failures per se in those ridden hard frames moreso than any other material. What I have seen is frames that are beat to heck, scratches through the clearcoat, gouges, etc, that can lead to failures, and from and aesthetic point, make the bike look like a cheap POS IMHO. I am not sure what the cost of refinishing a carbon frame is, but I would imagine that if there is a scratch or gouge that goes through the clearcoat then there would be an expensive repair to go along with a refinish. Steel otoh, takes a bit of nail polish and you are good to go.

Andrew

M.Sommers
03-11-2008, 07:14 PM
carbon doesn't wear out - ever. it's catastrophic events that kill it: cars, crashes, overhangs, drunken jumps over jersey barriers. uv may degrade it but that varies by surface treatment.

my neighbor has a 17-year-old trek alloy/carbon frame till going strong.

go to the ibis website and read what chuck ibis has to say - nothing to fear but fear and censorship itself.

atso

Nothing lasts forever. Except herpes. Twas' supposed to last forever too:

http://voyage.pierwisconsin.org/Titanic/Titanic%20bow%20railing.jpg

NateM
03-11-2008, 07:41 PM
I would suggest that you build up that Specialized and ride it,ride it on those chip seal roads,ride it in the wet,try different size tires for a different feel. If you haven't ridden a modern carbon bike you are in for a surprise. I bought a Calfee Tetra Pro in 97 and just sent it in for a repaint. It didnt need it but this way I will feel as if I have a new bike when it comes back. In another 10 years I will probably repeat this procedure. Carbon can also be repaired if you break something,in other words its gonna last if you take care of it. But then again those elastomer thingies that are stuck all over that frame may just shrivel up in time and fall out... :beer: :) :) :)