PDA

View Full Version : Masi Faema

Chris
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
This is a beauty. Hey Richard, when they say you collaborated, I guess this is in reference to the lugs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masi-Nuovo-Prestige-FAEMA-Frameset-60cm_W0QQitemZ270218891939QQihZ017QQcategoryZ98084 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

paulandmonster
03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
i know the importer of this frame have riden a few milanos myself including a prototype. if you have any questions on theese frames let me know and ill put you in touch with the importer really nice guy. theese bikes are made in italy in milan by masi they are then custum painted here in us in retro team colours. retro colours are extra standard colours are great also. frames ride real well and if i wasnt such a nago guy again id be riding a milano again. i went colnago bataglin merkcx merkcx milano milano colnago colnago colnago as my primary bikes

Polyglot
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
The seller in this case is the importer.

jerk
03-11-2008, 12:42 PM
greg honn has been described in many different ways...but this is honestly the first time in living memory anyone has described him as a "nice guy".

jerk

Kahuna
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Flippin' A. That's a name I haven't heard of in a long while. That dude sold me my first Pinarello and Campy gruppo back in `83. That bike served me well.

-K

greg honn has been described in many different ways...but this is honestly the first time in living memory anyone has described him as a "nice guy".

jerk

merckx
03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
That was my frame. I ordered it from Greg Honn two years ago and requested that it be painted in Faema livery. When I spoke with Honn, I specified that I wanted a classic 60cm frame that had a STA of 72 degrees or less. He said he had exactly what I was looking for and sold me the Masi Prestige. The frameset was unpainted so I waited about three months for the Faema paint job. No big deal. However, when I took delivery of the frame, I saw straight away how poorly it was constructed. There were significant gaps in the the lugs. There was very little effort to fill in all of the areas with brass during the brazing operation. On one of the fork tangs, you could see daylight through it. In addition, the threads in the BB were all bunged up. Honn had just freshly faced and tapped it, but you couldn't screw in a BB in the least. What a cob job. Finally, when I measured the setback, it wasn't even close to what I specified. Even without the shoddy build quality, I couldn't ride it because I couldn't get my seat positioned where I wanted it. He outright lied to me about the geometry just to get rid on the POS. I asked Honn for my money back and the SOB kept $400.00. So, you can imagine what I think of him. It looks pretty, but STAY AWAY.

sspielman
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
That was my frame. I ordered it from Greg Honn two years ago and requested that it be painted in Faema livery. When I spoke with Honn, I specified that I wanted a classic 60cm frame that had a STA of 72 degrees or less. He said he had exactly what I was looking for and sold me the Masi Prestige. The frameset was unpainted so I waited about three months for the Faema paint job. No big deal. However, when I took delivery of the frame, I saw straight away how poorly it was constructed. There were significant gaps in the the lugs. There was very little effort to fill in all of the areas with brass during the brazing operation. On one of the fork tangs, you could see daylight through it. In addition, the threads in the BB were all bunged up. Honn had just freshly faced and tapped it, but you couldn't screw in a BB in the least. What a cob job. Finally, when I measured the setback, it wasn't even close to what I specified. Even without the shoddy build quality, I couldn't ride it because I couldn't get my seat positioned where I wanted it. He outright lied to me about the geometry just to get rid on the POS. I asked Honn for my money back and the SOB kept $400.00. So, you can imagine what I think of him. It looks pretty, but STAY AWAY.

I saw that bike at the Wesminster (MD) swap meet about a month ago. I wasn't going to say anything, but I thought, too, that the build quality was pretty shoddy....

MilanoTom
03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

jerk

I bought one of his Milano 31.4 Volumetricas over two years ago, and it's still up on his website inventory list. I can't say he's struck me as being particularly offensive, but it's almost as though he couldn't be bothered with the great unwashed (which, in this case, may be everybody).

Tom

Gothard
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
It seems Alberto is not Faliero?

MilanoTom
03-11-2008, 01:26 PM
It seems Alberto is not Faliero?

Alberto = Son of Faliero

Gothard
03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
That was a question regarding the craftsmanship.

merckx
03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I doubt that Alberto knows the business end of a torch.

MilanoTom
03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
That was a question regarding the craftsmanship.

Apologies for not recognizing it as a cryptic statement rather than a question. I should know better.

sailorboy
03-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Buy at your own risk from him. I also got a volumetrica that he insisted was built by Alberto, and was in new condition. I too found construction flaws, and multiple chips in what could only be kindly described as a shabby paintjob. He even slapped two rainbow world champ stickers high up on the seatstays to cover a huge gouge in the paint that went clear into the tubing. The sticker always looked odd to me there, and I was horrified when I finally peeled them off to see what they were hiding. My emails to Mr. Honn were not returned when I called attention to this omission from his initial claims on the perfect condition of the frame.