PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Tokyo Visit?

weatherman
03-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I will be in Tokyo for a week (early April) on business. Any suggestions for must see/do activities? My hosts (multi national insurance company) have some ideas/suggestions, but have asked me if I have any specific requests. I will have an open Sat/Sun and perhaps some evenings during the week.

Thanks for any suggestions. :beer:

e-RICHIE
03-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I will be in Tokyo for a week (early April) on business. Any suggestions for must see/do activities? My hosts (multi national insurance company) have some ideas/suggestions, but have asked me if I have any specific requests. I will have an open Sat/Sun and perhaps some evenings during the week.

ah must go to flames R usmo.

coylifut
03-11-2008, 09:53 AM

I'd request a hooker for sure.

Grant McLean
03-11-2008, 09:53 AM

Pack me in your suitcasemo, i'll assemble your bikes when we get there.

-g

Joel
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
My 11 year old son and I had a blast in Tokyo last summer. I'm sure that your hosts will get you set up. But here are a few things that are probably not on their list that we loved:

1) Get up at 4:30 am and head over to Tsujuki Fish Market. See the tuna auction. Have the best sushi possible at 6:00 am for breakfast.

2) Ride the subway during Friday night rush hour...anywhere. It's just something you must do.

3) Get thyself to Punch Cycles in Askasusa. Go upstairs. Take off your shoes. See the gold 3Rensho. Drool. Repeat. Then wander the back alleys and play Panchinko.

We do have tons of tourist stuff. If there's something in particular you want please let me know.

It's a blast.

Joel

weatherman
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Pack me in your suitcasemo, i'll assemble your bikes when we get there.

-g

I think Spitzer beat me to that!

Cinci Jim
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Lick my stocking, Mr. Bob Harris! Lick it! Lick it! Oh, Mr. Bob Harris!

Cinci Jim
03-11-2008, 12:29 PM

coylifut
03-11-2008, 12:35 PM

it was all lost in translation the first time. 2x is overkill.

e-RICHIE
03-11-2008, 12:36 PM
it was all lost in translation the first time. 2x is overkill.
he's up to $1100 by my abacusmo.

coylifut
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
he's up to $1100 by my abacusmo.

add another zero and he can give it away tax-free.

e-RICHIE
03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
add another zero and he can give it away tax-free.
t -
you're doing it like a chinaman atmo.

ispy
03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
If you've got a spare afternoon, go to the Aoyama / Omotesando / Daikanyama sections of Tokyo and ogle some fantastic modern architecture in the guise of superchic shopping: The Prada store building (by amazing Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron) is imo worth checking out (inside and out) even if you don't care about the clothing. In modern architecture, very few things come close to Swiss design coupled with Japanese execution:

http://scrapbook.citizen-citizen.com/photos/uncategorized/pradatokyo2.jpg

Also if this kind of stuff excites, check out:
http://www.superfuture.com/city/area/area.cfm?area=1&city=1

Kyoto is the city to go if you love love love zen gardens and temples. Tokyo on the other hand is that crazy and surreal mix of the old and supermodern.

One more thing: I wouldn't say Tokyo is the ne plus ultra of walking cities, in the sense of London or New York (where I lived for 11 years). It's so massive that it becomes overwhelming. Definitely use the subways, great people watching. I still remember there weren't too many places to sit/rest on the sidewalks, and I was moving around the city about 12 hours a day looking at stuff. Just my 2 yen.

Have fun! Eat everything! And +1 on visiting the fish market.

jsfoster
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
returning from Tokyo in early April and let you know whats current. I'll be going to the Tsukiji Fish Market first day, great breakfast. Check out the March 25th Redsox-Athletics game on TV- I'll be there, GoRedsox!
-Jon

shinomaster
03-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Go to the museum of modern art. Atmo is flames R us a toy store?

sailorboy
03-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Pretty much any park, garden, cemetary or green spot in the city will have a variety of cherry trees planted in them which should be pretty close to full bloom in the first week or two of April. Just take a walk and find a grove of them, drink a few local brews, eat lunch and sitmo. You will see many Japanese doing the same thing.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Tokyo even though I am only 40 miles away, but one place I would recommend is the Shinjuku garden. It is easy to access via train, but have someone show you on the train map first. Some pulic gardens are closed one or two days per week so check ahead.

link:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3034.html

Other ideas:

1) take a ride on the subway during rush hour

2) go to Roppongi hills in the evening

3) While there, go to a place called the Cavern Club when the Silver Beats are playing. They do a lot of the early Beatles stuff, and besides looking eerily like John Lennon, (he's half-white) your jaw will drop when you hear the John guy sing. It's dead-on for the early Lennon sound.
http://www.silverbeats.com/english/index.html Reservations are required so call ahead.

4) Eat at a sushi-go-round restaurant. They're all good here.

5) Go with some locals to a Karaoke box...after a few cocktails of course.

taz-t
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
do the kids still dress up and hang out at Harajuku (punk bands and 50's rocker dancers)?

Definitely go to the emperor's palace park/grounds...

- taz

Blue Jays
03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Try taking a trip on the famous Shinkansen "bullet" trains (http://www.japanrail.com/JR_shinkansen.html) for a few memories.

weatherman
03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Try taking a trip on the famous Shinkansen "bullet" trains (http://www.japanrail.com/JR_shinkansen.html) for a few memories.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks--I will report back on the trip once I return. :)