PDA

View Full Version : cateye CD300DW?

davids
09-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Has anyone tried this new Cateye computer? I'm particularly attracted to the wireless, rear-wheel speed and cadence feature. It's almost indoor trainer season... :(

Any alternative recommendations for a wireless, rear-wheel speed and cadence computer?

Thanks!

Marco
09-02-2004, 10:14 AM
I have put about 1,200 miles on mine and think it is great.

A couple issues that I have had to deal with:

1. I had some initial problems with the unit that were related to the bad/stale batteries that came with it. Since the new batteries have been installed it has worked fine.

2. Depending on the wheels and tires that you are using, it can be a tight fit to get the unit on if you have an S-bend stay. Having said that, it is not prohibitive.

3. For those who like large, simple readouts, beware that the information is smaller pitch than some other units. It is not a problem at all for my friend and I that have the unit.

4. For those of the DBRK persuassion who like to meander along and not be clouded my too much (if any) earthly data, this unit is not for you. For those who like data it is great because you can see so much with one glance. I have it set to view cadence, speed, distance and elapsed time.

5. The instruction manual doesn't instruct so plan on spending some time learning the functions through hands on trial and error.

I highly recommend the unit.

Phil Selisker
09-02-2004, 10:32 AM
David.
I have one on my Ottrott. So far so good, it took a little treaking to get both pickups and magnets located correctly, but it works fine and interfernece from HR monitor or other riders is not a problem. There are some pictures of the pickup in the gallery under "2004 ottrott st" , hope that helped.
Phil

Lanny R. Levenson
09-02-2004, 11:14 AM
I've had the wireless Cateye 300CW for about 6 weeks and other than the tight fit on the chain stay and the difficulty of reading the manual, it's been great. I've been impressed that there has been no problem with lost information while riding in the rain. With my Astrale, wet weather lead to failure to get speed and distance often unless I wrapped plastic wrap around the computer.

va rider
09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
It seems this is a thread the comes up every two weeks. Here are a few links to previous discussions.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3983&highlight=cateye

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3641&highlight=cateye

davids
09-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit concerned about the chainstay issue - I've got those thick, curvy Seven stays. They look like this: