PDA

View Full Version : Sunnyvale CA

Satellite
03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Any Serottta Folks want to highlight some good routes in Sunnyvale CA? I will be traveling to Sunnyvale the 16-20th March for business. I am thinking of having my bike shipped ahead.

I have taken my Mountain Bike before and rode the open spaces everyone kept warning me of Mountain Lions; I never seen one but was paranoid the whole time. I am thinking about taking the VaMoots this go around and trying the road.

Best Regards,

Satellite

Dude
03-10-2008, 10:42 PM
tons of good riding up there. it might take you about 20-30 mins or so to get out of sunnyvale, depending on where you are staying but the riding out here is amazing. Up or down the santa cruz mountains, head north to palo alto and then go up the mtns.

There is too much riding to do. Definately bring your bike.

erector
03-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I've lived here quite a while, and would find it a privilege to see a mountain lion (from afar). I wouldn't worry about the riding though, you'd be fine in the hills.

For a road ride, there's a great hill known as "old la honda" road, fun climb and a great story. There's also La Canada road, which can link up to old la honda if you want to make it a nice long ride. Both are great, La Canada is by the reservoir, very nice views.

pm me if you'd like to know more specifics.

Satellite
03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
pm me if you'd like to know more specifics.

Erector,

I have sent you a P.M.

Satellite

Satellite
03-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I got my bike boxed up last night check UPS website and the quote is to have my bike shipped today arrive at the Hotel on Friday and cost $26w/out insurance (I will be insuring), I arrive on Sunday. Much cheaper than Airline prices $85/each leg wow.

Does anyone rent High-End bikes in the Sunnyvale area? I am sure shipping mine is cheaper than even a low-end rental I am just curious. My dad thinks I am crazy for taking my VaMoots and I should rent a bike if I want to ride, now he has me worried. It took me so long to dial my steed in that I couldn’t imagine riding a different bike now.

Anyways she is boxed up and heading to UPS. Keep the ride ideas coming my way.

Best Regards,

Satellite

MadRocketSci
03-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Palo alto is about 10 miles from sunnyvale. easy trip up 101 by car, but if you want to ride there, find the way to foothill expressway and take that north until it hits page mill, alpine, or sand hill rd.

some maps:

http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/local_rides.html

I recommend the big coast loop if you have time

king's mtn is nice too but i personally avoid skyline rd (hwy 35) and 92. I would do an out and back, the descent of kings is great.

Satellite
03-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I got my bike shipped today. Wow what a price difference. I used my double All Sports Case originally it is an oversized package according to UPS. UPS wanted $169 to ship my bike airline charges $85 and the bike would travel with me. I went home put the bike in my single All Sports Case took the bike back to UPS and it cost $42 plus I insured it for $1000. The UPS gal told me that they use special handling on packages over $1000 up to $5000 if I insure for over $5000 they practically hand carry the package. I am NOT sure I believe it but I have never shipped my personal bike (I have shipped eBay bikes) so I am taking this approach; I may NOT insure it for the return trip. I am looking forward to VaMooting around California.

Anyone perfer FedEx over UPS; I am NOT sure who to use for the return trip. The UPS Hub is really close to my house in Colorado Springs. I am NOT sure where they are in Sunnyvale?

Satellite