PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Open 4 CD : any experiences

gt6267a
12-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Anyone with experiences with the Open 4 CD rims? I have ridden wheels with Open Pros and been pleased. I am hoping the same is true of wheels built with the Open 4 CDs. I purchased a set used with Record hubs ...

Note: I understand they are similar but not the same as the Open Pros. One difference being that the OP has machined rims and the Open does not.

Thanks and Regards,
Keith

Saxon
12-11-2003, 09:00 PM
I've got them on my CSI and I've been riding the same pair of wheels for four years. I haven't had any issues with them (can't say the same for my cracked Rolf V Pros on my Trek) and they feel very similar to the Open Pros to me. They climb well and are sturdy. I love 'em.
Sax

Keith A
12-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Open 4 CDs were just the predecessor to the Open Pros. As mentioned before, the O4CDs don't have the machined sidewalls, but are similiar in many respects to the current Open Pros.

gt6267a
12-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Saxon
I've got them on my CSI and I've been riding the same pair of wheels for four years. I haven't had any issues with them (can't say the same for my cracked Rolf V Pros on my Trek) and they feel very similar to the Open Pros to me. They climb well and are sturdy. I love 'em.
Sax

dbrk
12-11-2003, 09:51 PM
While these are tough, durable rims in my experience I know folks who have had them crack. I'm not a big fan of anodized rims of any sort. The putative improvements in braking attributed to anodizing seem to be just that, putative. I've never used ceramics because I can't justify the price. Carbon rims basically don't...uhh...let you stop!! For solid, normal rims, the newer machined rims are vastly superior, imho. (Bontragers and Torelli Masters come to mind...) When I look at the past 25 years or so of "improvements" in bicycle parts (rather than innovations, like indexing or STI/Ergo but rather improvements as such), the quality of clincher rims comes right to the fore. They are just so, so much better than they have ever been. Good box rims are hard to find since the MA3 is not much improvement over the (sometimes round, sometimes not so round) MA2. MA40s as the anodized verson of the MA2 are, imho, inferior to the non-anodized version. Still the old reliable O4CD has held up well for durability but don't look very good after brake pads actually wear down the anodizing.

dbrk

gt6267a
12-11-2003, 09:51 PM
ok, i tried replying, but it did not work just right. here is what i said in a nutshell.

i had a steel frame with vector comps that rode like my old c-dale crit 3.0 bike. in an attempt at making it more reasonable, i bought a set of OPs and they made a world of difference. taking out the vector comps and putting in the OPs really made the ride softer.

i am really happy to hear the Open 4s ride like the OPs. i am really excited to get them on my crl.

dbrk
12-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Okay, now I've confused myself so if the O4CD aren't anodized just ignore that part and pass it off as End of the Semester Burn Out/ Can't Remember Anything Anymore Middle Age. (I may be confusing them with MA40s...dang...)

BTW, anyone have any luck finding some more 03 Chorus groups, especially the shifters? Silver parts are like endangered species or something.

dbrk

gt6267a
12-11-2003, 10:04 PM
dbrk : i think you had it right the first time. i believe they are anodized.

Keith A
12-12-2003, 07:44 AM
dbrk -- you are correct about the anodized rims. The "CD" indicates that the rim was anodized and is the same labeling they use today on the Open Pros -- although I'm don't know what CD stands for.

CIII_bill
12-12-2003, 09:48 AM
I have a pair on my 10 year old Klein. They have been bullet proof for me and help to smooth out the ride of the aluminum frame.

Saxon
12-12-2003, 02:23 PM
I think CD stood for Ceramic something or other, as they were supposed to have a ceramic breaking surface.

Keith A
12-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Saxon, I don't think so. The did (do) have a ceramic braking surface option, but this was independent of the anodized surface that the "CD" indicates.

dnovo
12-12-2003, 03:27 PM
I think Keith is right on this. I have a set of CD Open Pros on a few of my recent wheelbuilds and the braking surface is not ceramic coated, while the rims are anodized. Dave N.

Saxon
12-12-2003, 05:25 PM
I stand corrected! Boy, and it seemed like it made so much sense!:D