PDA

View Full Version : training question

brians647
03-10-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm trying to train more efficiently this spring. I had my second crit race of the year yesterday. Today, I feel pretty beaten from it. Heck, I was tired before the race, so my fatigue comes as no surprise.

In my hacked together training schedule, I should be taking today off. However, there is a lot of foul weather on the way later on this week (or so they say). Should I take my rest day regardless, and keep my fingers crossed? Or is it okay for me to train again today and take a rest day on.. say... Wednesday?

I'm reading Joe Friel's Training Bible as a guide; but I haven't gotten to the chapter that addresses all that yet and I just noticed the weather (I am halfway done with the book, and I almost don't know where to begin?!!!).

Any input/experiences aside of the "listen to your body" aspect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much! :beer:

BUTCH RIDES
03-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Hello take a easy spin today, I heard some bycyclist at the donut shop say it was better to be under trained than over trained. Tired take an easy week .
All my weeks are easy
good luck .
bye

J.Greene
03-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Fixed is right. Take an easy spin. I also feel better the day after the race if I keep pedaling for 30 min right after the race.

JG

brians647
03-10-2008, 07:59 AM
An easy spin it is! I think my joints (and muscles) will appreciate it. I was a bit worked yesterday.

Thanks!

Michael Maddox
03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
+1 rest

Definitely skip ahead in your Friel book. He works on the "why" in the first part of the book, which is great to understand, but you need to get to all the "how" parts. Skim to pick up what you need, then re-read to solidify your understanding.

His key point: "quality over quantity."

This is one reason I picked up a Computrainer recently. Serious quality under controllable conditions. Outside's more fun, but you don't get so much time to fluff around on the trainer.