PDA

View Full Version : very sad bay area

jim d
03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Very sad stuff. I rolled through here about 5-10 minutes before it happened.

My thoughts are with all the families involved.

Jim
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/09/BAKSVGTJ1.DTL&tsp=1

rcnute
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
How'd it happen?

Buzz
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
More info here:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728

e-RICHIE
03-09-2008, 07:11 PM
We just lost a couple of phenomenal human beings. The fact that they were tremendous athletes is really beyond the point as well, although they both were. Christy was on her way to the Olympic trials, and Matt was a phenomenal rider. It’s very distressing,” said Gebhart Evanhook, who was riding just behind the two cyclists who died.

who is "christy"?

http://www.kcbs.com/Two-Bikers-Killed-in-Crash-With-Sheriff-s-Deputy/1790950

Buzz
03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Reported as Kristy Gough over on Slowtwitch.com More details there.

Erik.Lazdins
03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm saddened reading this - you never know when it is your time. It all coulda been over for me at 13 but I'm here and just tucked my kids into bed.

E

erector
03-09-2008, 07:42 PM
it was a tragedy to hear this on the news this evening. The ride these cyclists were doing is not noted to be a dangerous ride, the bike lane is actually generous, and the route is known for weekend riders.

The previous night, relatively nearby on highway9, another officer wrapped his cruiser around a tree. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate police, but I would hope they would be ones to set more of an example for the rest of us.

jeffg
03-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm saddened reading this - you never know when it is your time. It all coulda been over for me at 13 but I'm here and just tucked my kids into bed.

E

Exactly. A car passed a cyclist on blind curve on Kings Mountain today and came straight at me when I was doing about 35 mph. I avoided a collision, but it had my heart rate through the roof. I was doing repeats on the road, which is less than a mile from where we live and generally a much safer road on weekends than nearby 84, but you never know.

I quit after that second repeat and took my kids to the beach ...

medici
03-09-2008, 09:00 PM
[

who is "christy"?]

Christy Gough was a pro triathlete until this year, when she switched over to road racing. Where she was literally winning everything she entered, most recently as a Cat 3. She had just upgraded to Cat 2 after this weekend. Rumor in the cycling crowd around here is that she was headed for the Olympic trials.

Pete

jimcav
03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
and even worse than the right hooks and other "blind spot" accidents. crossing the double yellow? sad to say, but if it is like the "weavers" i see here, civilian or police, he was on his cell phone.

my thoughts are with all those who must endure the aftermath of this senseless tragedy.

jim

jim d
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
This is taken off the slowtwitch thread from the 4th rider

From the fourth rider:

All,
Just a few words to let everyone know how I am doing. I am Ok
physically, but feel quite messed up in the head. Words cannot
describe the accident scene, I thought that I was in a nightmare the
whole time. This is what happened from my side - we were a team of
four, Matt, Kristy, ******** and myself were heading towards the
Stevens Creek reservoir as a team. The other 3 put around 20 seconds
on me before the last stretch to the reservoir. When I took the
corner, it was a horror scene. The sheriff officer got out of his car
and was pacing up and down not quite knowing what to do. I could see
that Matt was fatally hit and ********* was hurt, but, concious and
yelling in pain. Kristy was in bad shape, I stayed with her and
encouraged her to keep breathing until the paramedics took over.
There was another cyclist on scene who happened to be a doctor - when
he asked the cop what hapenned, he said, "I must have dozed off...".
Thank you all for the support. I feel like we should get together as a
team to talk about this, it would definitely help me.

Sandy
03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
and even worse than the right hooks and other "blind spot" accidents. crossing the double yellow? sad to say, but if it is like the "weavers" i see here, civilian or police, he was on his cell phone.

my thoughts are with all those who must endure the aftermath of this senseless tragedy.

jim

All of those who were touched by this will endure so much for so long. I often wonder about the loved ones that are closely associated with such tragedies and how they handle the loss of someone so dear to them, especially when it is so sudden, without expectation, and with people so young. Tragic, and the aformentioned will have to bear their loss forever.

Sandy

Blue Jays
03-09-2008, 11:16 PM
This is such a terrible news update. Condolences to family, friends, and all the people at slowtwitch who know those riders killed and seriously injured. :(