PDA

View Full Version : Time To Pay The Piper

Bill Bove
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I go before the judge tomorrow. My charge; riding two abreast. I got a ticket last fall for riding two abreast. I was riding along the edge of the road, to the right of the white line, another fellow was riding on the shoulder next to me. I was pulled from the group and written a ticket. The other guy was not in the travel lane or in a bike lane, he was riding on the shoulder. So I am fighting the ticket on the grounds that I was exactly where Florida law says I was supposed to be. As far to the right in the travel lane as is safe and practical. I have a real live lawyer representing me (for free), an expert witness (the countys former bike/ped coordinator) 8x10 glossys with a description written on the back of them and god on my side.

If I stop posting for a while I'm in the big house :(

e-RICHIE
03-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I go before the judge tomorrow. My charge; riding two abreast. I got a ticket last fall for riding to a breast.
sounds delightfully yummy atmo.

swoop
03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
i won when i fought the same charge in cali. read the latest velonews online... they've got it all in legalese.
may the force be with you.

Ginger
03-09-2008, 02:34 PM
I think it's our puritanical society keep'n ya down.

Authorities just think riding two abreast is kinky...

(I'm not sure if it's legal in Canada...)

e-RICHIE
03-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I think it's our puritanical society keep'n ya down.

Authorities just think riding two abreast is kinky...

(I'm not sure if it's legal in Canada...)
i'm gonna google this and lyk in 3 minutes time atmo.

stevep
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
billy,
you'll be back out in a couple of years.
no harm.
food free in the can.

75% of cops have no idea about the law on this subject

e-RICHIE
03-09-2008, 02:45 PM
billy,
you'll be back out in a couple of years.
no harm.
food free in the can.

75% of cops have no idea about the law on this subject
shouldn't you be gettin' it done on your birthday?
mebbe have a go-baby moment or something atmo...

Kevan
03-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Counter sue!!

Just trying to be helpful.

stevep
03-09-2008, 03:14 PM
shouldn't you be gettin' it done on your birthday?
mebbe have a go-baby moment or something atmo...

im getting it done.
3 1/2 hrs 30+ wind killing me
nice though

ill come down to visit billy in jail...

e-RICHIE
03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
im getting it done.
3 1/2 hrs 30+ wind killing me
nice though

ill come down to visit billy in jail...
pooch - i did 3.5 today toomo.
oh no. what does that mean?

what are you wearing now?

Fivethumbs
03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Weren't you just passing a slower moving rider? You are supposed to pass on the left, right?

saab2000
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Make sure the judge is not blind with a seeing eye dog for those 27 8x10 color glossy photographs with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was. It would be yet another case of American blind justice.

stevep
03-09-2008, 03:45 PM
pooch - i did 3.5 today toomo.
oh no. what does that mean?

what are you wearing now?

base w/ windfront
one of those pissa verge heavyweight ls jerseys and a full jacket ( was 25 when i left )
winter shoes, tights
the art of dressing in winter is a fine one...

first ride of the year on the race bike. ahhh, no water on the road...

very comfy.

you?

Bruce K
03-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Bill, what we have here is a failure to communicate. I think this is clearly a case of police persecution and your lawyer should definitely be going after the officer, his department, and his city as they have clearly violated your legal right to freedom of travel.

Saab, you livin' in a renovated church? ;)

BK

saab2000
03-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Saab, you livin' in a renovated church? ;)

BK

No, but every Thanksgiving the old classic gets played, along with Packers vs. Lions. :banana:

Big Dan
03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Tell the judge you ride Campy..........

jbrainin
03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Make sure the judge is not blind with a seeing eye dog for those 27 8x10 color glossy photographs with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was. It would be yet another case of American blind justice.

"It was a typical case of American blind justice and the judge wasn't going to look at the 27 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was. And we was fined $50 and told not be be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again."

saab2000
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
"It was a typical case of American blind justice and the judge wasn't going to look at the 27 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was. And we was fined $50 and told not be be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again."

Forgot about the circles and arrows..... :beer:

Bill Bove should have a powerpoint presentation ready for his pictures.

e-RICHIE
03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
base w/ windfront
one of those pissa verge heavyweight ls jerseys and a full jacket ( was 25 when i left )
winter shoes, tights
the art of dressing in winter is a fine one...

first ride of the year on the race bike. ahhh, no water on the road...

very comfy.

you?
one of my 20 or so gildan blk t shirts
verge ls winter-tec jersey
verge roubaix winter jacket
verge bibshorts
verge roubaix material thermal bibtightsmo
verge socksmo
rocket 7s

toasty atmo

BumbleBeeDave
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Can I wear your jerseys while you're in the Big House?

Not the bibs, though . . . I hear Keno will want those . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

saab2000
03-09-2008, 04:03 PM
You guys who actually get to ride your bikes make me jealous. :confused:

Spicoli
03-09-2008, 04:18 PM
I go before the judge tomorrow. My charge; riding two abreast. I got a ticket last fall for riding two abreast. I was riding along the edge of the road, to the right of the white line, another fellow was riding on the shoulder next to me. I was pulled from the group and written a ticket. The other guy was not in the travel lane or in a bike lane, he was riding on the shoulder. So I am fighting the ticket on the grounds that I was exactly where Florida law says I was supposed to be. As far to the right in the travel lane as is safe and practical. I have a real live lawyer representing me (for free), an expert witness (the countys former bike/ped coordinator) 8x10 glossys with a description written on the back of them and god on my side.

Dude please tell me this is one of those posts that is an inside joke and I dont get it??? U have to be kidding me :crap: Shart like this makes people hate the Police! Rubber guns like that need to learn what Police work really is, this does not "serve" anyone! Its to "Patronize and annoy" should your local dept. motto :confused: I'm sorry

Kevan
03-09-2008, 04:21 PM
it's got a file in it.

stevep
03-09-2008, 04:21 PM
ask billy for his confidential confession.
you were spread across the whole road for a town line right?
somebody called in and by the time the guy got there you were back behaving.

sign the confession and we'll let you off with 6 months.

J.Greene
03-09-2008, 04:41 PM
you?

3 hours on the mtb. Beautiful Sky, 60's temp and good friends. Got muddy, got wet, got muddy again and washed it all off again crossing the Econ river. Long sleeve jersey and regular cheap shorts.

JG

Too Tall
03-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Chew cordite and don't wash, that'll set the tone bro ;)

Fight the power.

1centaur
03-09-2008, 05:32 PM
If I was the judge I would admonish the cop for not thinking about the purpose of the law. I bet the code is silent on riding two abreast on the shoulder, but the clear intent of the rule is to avoid impeding traffic. You were not doing that by definition, so the cop pursuing you is a "gotcha" move probably fed by an antipathy towards cyclists. I would also admonish his supervisor and suggest that literal interpretations of the law is for rookies. If I could, I'd sentence the cop to 20 hours (of non-paid time) sweeping the debris out of the shoulder so he'd remember forever what cyclists are asked to do.

dave thompson
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Bill:

PM me your cell number when you're up the river and I'll FedEx you another bottle of Fat Cat red.

rwsaunders
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
You didn't follow the monkey's lead in the video, did you? Don't forget to make your eye twitch when you're in court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3nU9kAd_WU&feature=related

Fixed
03-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Chain Gang Charlie's out of the state you might get off ..maybe the cop won't show
cheers

Tom
03-10-2008, 04:21 AM
All he saw was the pink.

LO^OK
03-10-2008, 05:11 AM

Insanity disguised as "Law and Order"

darylb
03-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Dude please tell me this is one of those posts that is an inside joke and I dont get it??? U have to be kidding me :crap: Shart like this makes people hate the Police! Rubber guns like that need to learn what Police work really is, this does not "serve" anyone! Its to "Patronize and annoy" should your local dept. motto :confused: I'm sorry

It's not a joke. There is lot's of history concerning cycling on that road. Bill knows a lot more about it all but from my perspective part of it is about rich people (not that there is anything wrong with that) dont want cyclist, cycling lanes, or anything cycling related on their stretch of road. Another part is some cyclists are morons and and have created some history with the law enforcement agencies along there and now good folks like Bill get harrassed. A few bad apples you know.

BTW, Bill, maybe I should ride the Legend while you are in the joint. I'll remind Mike to feed the cats.

saab2000
03-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Has Bill been transferred to a "Super Max"?

zap
03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
It's not a joke. There is lot's of history concerning cycling on that road. Bill knows a lot more about it all but from my perspective part of it is about rich people (not that there is anything wrong with that) dont want cyclist, cycling lanes, or anything cycling related on their stretch of road. Another part is some cyclists are morons and and have created some history with the law enforcement agencies along there and now good folks like Bill get harrassed. A few bad apples you know.

BTW, Bill, maybe I should ride the Legend while you are in the joint. I'll remind Mike to feed the cats.

My dad lives down there but doesn't ride much but respects cyclists and is concerned for their safety. The issue as I understand it from residents, local cyclists and my observations is that the problem is largely due to large, aggressive wc groups.

I was down there visiting this past January and rode up and down A1A for the first time in two decades. I have to admit that it was odd to repeatedly hear from cyclists that cops are tough on cyclists and was shown a few places where they hide in bushes next to stop signs and traffic lights. If I'm not mistaken, those hiding spots were close to Bill's town.

Coming from combative Washington, D.C., I was pleasantly surprised how friendly motorists were, including patrol officers. One cute blonde stepped out of her patrol car and offered assistance as I was fixing the rental bike.

I told her some fat cat needed help further down the road :D

palincss
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
No, but every Thanksgiving the old classic gets played, along with Packers vs. Lions. :banana:

Old classics == Christians vs. Lions...

Bill Bove
03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
No ruling. The judge is going to study the applicable laws and notify us by mail within the next thirty days. The law says the shoulder is not part of the roadway, the cop said that even though one of us was on the shoulder a car could not safely pass us. we argued that the ticket was not for blocking traffic but for riding two abreast and that since i was riding where the law tells me i am supposed to ride i could not be blocking traffic. we shall see.

The judge was a she and she was hot.

J.Greene
03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Did the judge appear sympathetic to one side or the other?

JG

No ruling. The judge is going to study the applicable laws and notify us by mail within the next thirty days. The law says the shoulder is not part of the roadway, the cop said that even though one of us was on the shoulder a car could not safely pass us. we argued that the ticket was not for blocking traffic but for riding two abreast and that since i was riding where the law tells me i am supposed to ride i could not be blocking traffic. we shall see.

Bill Bove
03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
She seemed genuinely impartial, however she did rule against the defendant in every preceeding case. I would have felt better if at least one of them had won. did i mention she was hot?

J.Greene
03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
She seemed genuinely impartial, however she did rule against the defendant in every preceeding case. I would have felt better if at least one of them had won. did i mention she was hot?

It sounds like she is giving you a fair shake.

JG

BUTCH RIDES
03-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Hello foxy hot judge now that's not fair I wonder if she knows elliot spitzer
bye

BumbleBeeDave
03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Good luck!

BBD

stevep
03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
post visiting hours bill.
in case the cop appeals..

just curious ..what would the fine be if they did anything?

Bill Bove
03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah it does. if she reads the law i think she'll find in my behalf.

i reservethe right to change her hotness quotiant if she rules against me.

haha, the fine is only 38.50 but i've got a lawyer who wants to tilt at windmills. he's a rider who wants precedents set.

Louis
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Maybe she's looking for a riding partner...

Kevan
03-10-2008, 03:12 PM
an appeal.

Ginger
03-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah it does. if she reads the law i think she'll find in my behalf.

i reservethe right to change her hotness quotiant if she rules against me.

haha, the fine is only 38.50 but i've got a lawyer who wants to tilt at windmills. he's a rider who wants precedents set.

The fact you brought a lawyer to fight a 38.50 fine probably raised the red flags...

If you're on solid ground, your lawyer won't have much to tilt at...but even small positive rulings are good rulings.

Elefantino
03-10-2008, 04:16 PM
No jail time?

Dang. We were all ready.

rwsaunders
03-10-2008, 05:30 PM
an appeal.

Rodney Dangerfield...."The high school that I attended was so tough, one day in English, the teacher asked "What comes after a sentence?". To which a classmate replied..."An appeal."