PDA

View Full Version : DA-9 triple problem

lewislw1
09-01-2004, 11:43 AM
I have written about this problem before, but have a better understanding now about what the problem is - hoping someone here can help. My DA-9 triple front shifter developed a malfunction when shifting from the outer to the middle chainring - the trim adjustment feature does not work unless I physically hold the outer lever in place while I push the inner lever inward. I also cannot shift down to the middle chainring unless I hold the outer lever in place (and simultaneously shift the inner lever, as described above) if the derailleur was shifted beyond the trim adjuster point (sorry about my inelegant description of the trim adjustment). All other shifting is fine. The cables and housing are clean. I confirmed this is not a problem with the derailleur, becasue the problem occurs when the cable is not even connected to the derailleur. Anyone have experience or suggestions for dealing with this problem?

Len

eddief
09-02-2004, 09:07 PM
and fiddle a bunch with the levers. Things may improve due to new lube working into those parts. If that doesn't work have your shop send the lever in for warranty replacement. My limited experience suggests they work or they don't and I had to replace one under warranty. A pain in the butt for which I think I paid a bit to the shop for their time. But in the end I think Shimano asks few questions when things are done through a dealer.

Too Tall
09-03-2004, 06:13 AM
Do not squirt it with WD-40. That is not a lube.

Actually it sounds like you have a rough cable, a kink or something hanging up the fr. der. cable. To diagnose:
1. unclamp the fr. der. cable at the fr. der. pinch bolt.
2. shift fr. STI to granny.
3. hold the STI open a touch and push a couple inches of the wire out.
4. slide the wire back and forth (holding at opposite ends) and assess if it moves freely.
4.a. *Also isolate and check wire movement through the BB wire guide.
5. if you feel a hang up or excess drag than replace.
6. use DA der. cable and don't forget to pre-lube it.

lewislw1
09-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Tootall,

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give a it try over the weekend.

Len W.