PDA

View Full Version : Best Oregon Centuries

SadieKate
03-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Tell me about your favorite Oregon centuries. I know the singletrack around here like the back of my hand, but I'm new to the century scene. What are your favorite and why? Least traffic? Best scenery? Best weather?* What are the climbs like? Which should I avoid because the weather is always hot? Support? Food?

I have a friend who is just getting her century legs back after a couple years away to become a new mom so we're trying to find a good goal.

The closer to Bend the better just because she's a new mom and I've got an elderly, throughly spoiled, and demanding Superb Poodle.

*Best weather means the least need for odor-arm-de-molderant

rcnute
03-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Spring/Pioneer Century starting in Woodburn. Not so close to Bend, but fun (and the only Oregon one I've done).

shinomaster
03-08-2008, 11:58 PM
STP is fun...once.

vaxn8r
03-09-2008, 12:36 AM
There's a great Century out of Bend, going all the way around Batchelor. Epic.

shinomaster
03-09-2008, 12:37 AM
There's a great Century out of Bend, going all the way around Batchelor. Epic.

What about the Vuelta a PDX?

jimcav
03-09-2008, 12:40 AM
it was a blast, a little over 100 miles, but there are various starting points that make it less.
the rest stops were nice, well stocked, it was a great ride. nice finish feast, great camping nearby (if you have someone who will drive your car to the finish of course)

jim

SadieKate
03-09-2008, 01:14 AM
There's a great Century out of Bend, going all the way around Batchelor. Epic.Are you thinking of the Ice Cream Classic? Have you ridden it?

I've ridden around Bachelor. It is stunning.

SadieKate
03-09-2008, 01:19 AM
The Beach in 2006? Reach the Beach?

Vuelta a PDX?

Is this a test to see how well I Google? You guys aren't doing so well with actual names of centuries.

STP I know. I'll pass. I like small. I don't even need to try it once.

bcm119
03-09-2008, 04:08 AM
I did Reach the Beach once. It was okay, not outstanding. The best part is that it ends at the Pelican brewpub.

wasfast
03-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Crater Lake Century caught my attention recently. I'm mostly doing races this year as I got bored with organized centuries but the scenery at this one is very nice, having ridden that area independently before. A bit closer to Bend than the other regular ones in the Valley.

Spring Century (now Pioneer). They changed the course last year. 2 different loops. First loop has one longer climb and a bunch of various rollers. The second loop is dead flat and a bit boring. It was 100 degrees last year (in June!). I drank 8 full sized bottles and was still dehydrated.

Tour of Covered bridges near Corvallis has some great organization and good scenery. Various levels of climbing.

Peach of a Century in Salem is nice, fairly flat overall.

If you really like climbing, the Torture 10,000 is (was) a good one. I don't think it's being run anymore however.

SadieKate
03-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Crater Lake is high on our list of possibilities right now.

I was going to look up the Pioneer but I can't handle 100F. I wonder what the normal weather is for the Pioneer.

I've also learned that we should never pre-register for rides with the name "Wildflower." Both the Chico and SLO Wildflowers set record temps the year we did them. I learned a little trick though of stuffing an armwarmer with ice and draping it around the neck. Probably the only reason I survived the SLO last year.

SadieKate
03-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I did Reach the Beach once. It was okay, not outstanding. The best part is that it ends at the Pelican brewpub.That's good to know because unless they brew their own root beer, my friend wouldn't see this as a benefit.

coylifut
03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
That's good to know because unless they brew their own root beer, my friend wouldn't see this as a benefit.

agree with bccm. point to point centuries a logistical hassle. unless of course you make it a double - which isn't my preference.

SadieKate
03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
What about the Vuelta a PDX?

Thank goodness. I finally figured this out. I was losing sleep.*

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=41919&highlight=portland

*Not really.

northbend
03-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Sadie, this is close for you if you are from Bend and it is in August so there is plenty of time for your friend to get ready. Why Crater lake? Views are fantastic with that lovely lake being the goal of the initial climbs that also affords you frequent peek a boo views along the rim road where the color of the lake changes hue from each vantage point. Along the entire route the roads are uncrowded, the weather will likely be good (at the altitude, cold in the morning, it warms up nicely after an hour or so and you'll be stripping off layers) and there's alot of nice climbs - nothing too tough though - just enough for a challenge. I am a 50 year old who had done a couple of centuries and the one day STP earlier in the spring/summer and did it easliy with a 39x26 low gear. The highlight is the finish. It is nearly all downhill back to Ft. Klamath. My friend and I cruised at 30 MPH for most of the way down. The low point (for me anyway) was the last 2 miles. The route marker was a bit questionable and we turned off this glorious new asphalt road onto fresh chipseal just layed down a few weeks before the event and our speed dropped dramtatically. I kept wondering if some local kids switched some signs around as a trick but thanks to my friend (who trusted the que sheet apparently), I stuck with it (this is how uncrowded the ride is, there are times when you and your riding partners are alone. they limit the riders) and soon the ride ended and there was a BBQ meal awaiting us at the finish line. A very memorable ride and the support at the stops were friendly and frequent. I'd do it again except this year it will be scheduled the same weekend as RSVP which is a ride I have already booked.

vaxn8r
03-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Are you thinking of the Ice Cream Classic? Have you ridden it?

I've ridden around Bachelor. It is stunning.
We left from Inn at 7th Mountain.

Take Cascade Lakes Hwy up toward Batchelor.
Left on NF45 to Spring River Dr.
Right South Century Dr.
Right at Three Rivers/South Century Dr.
Right at Cascade Lakes Hwy, up and around Batchelor and downhill back to the Inn parking 100 miles.

Spectacular. Bring a camera.

SadieKate
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I know the route. What I'm trying to figure out is the support provided for Oregon rides. $15?? I don't think this would even cover insurance in California. If I invite out of town friends, I'm trying to figure out how to set expectations. There is a lot of competition among California clubs to provide the most and fanciest food, most SAG, massages, you name it. It gets a little overkill. I've also ridden centuries where they ran out of food.

Suggestion to a certain club in Utah - do not run the metric through the same lunch stop as the century and then tell the century riders they should have been there sooner. And then do a repeat performance back at the finish :no: :no: :no:

$15 entry fees make me suspicious.

wasfast
03-10-2008, 07:55 AM
You asked about the temperature at Pioneer. The 100F was a fluke for sure. I rode it 2 years before and it rained most of the ride. This was on the old route. I was decending at 35+mph with the rain pouring. It was like buckshot at that speed. But I digress.

I've lived in Oregon just about all of my 49 years. Summer starts after July4th....seriously. I've ridden my rain bike much of June many years.

SadieKate
03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I've lived in Oregon just about all of my 49 years. Summer starts after July4th....seriously. I've ridden my rain bike much of June many years.You could try the Dry Side. 66 and clear blue skies yesterday. Perfect! :)

I've called Travel Klamath to make sure I'm still on their email notification list for the Crater Lake Century. We'll use the Ice Cream Classic as a fall back though we can ride that route on our own and I'll probably do it for training for the Crater Lake. Crater Lake route profile says 7,500' of climbing. Maybe double loops around Bachelor.

I've also received a recommendation for the Strawberry Century by the Santiam Spokes. Anyone ridden it?

frogpirate
03-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Not a century, but a Metric, I love Monster Cookie as a early season ride:

http://www.salembicycleclub.org/content.plx?page=majrides

(Also information about the Watermelon Ride & Peach of a Century)

We have always had amazigly good weather for the Monster Cookie, considering it's April! Now that I said that, it will pour rain this year. :O

I really liked the Vine Ride the year we did it ('04? or '05). For some reason I am always out of town for the Barlow Trail Century however I like the route and my wife has ridden it twice and says the organization and support is first rate.

Ken

SadieKate
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
The Barlow Trail Century sounds intriguing but I can't find anything on River City Cycles' site. What am I missing?

I assume this goes near Mt Hood? I've been on dirt sections of the old trail.

Unoveloce
03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
It's out of Ashland. The Siskiyou Velo folks put it on every year. It's a great ride and it starts and finishes in downtown Ashland. Most of the ride is above the valley floor so the heat is kept to a minimum. Plus, you get a sweet 13 mile descent back into town.

wasfast
03-11-2008, 06:34 AM
You could try the Dry Side. 66 and clear blue skies yesterday. Perfect! :)

I lived in Madras for 5 years, went to OIT for 4 years (YUCK!) and my folks lived in Redmond for a number of years. I'll stick to the valley, thank you very much. It's that place with people on the other side of those mountains :p

I've also received a recommendation for the Strawberry Century by the Santiam Spokes. Anyone ridden it?[/QUOTE]

I've ridden it. The scenery is alright. No climbing of note however. The strawberry shortcake at the end is nice however!

SadieKate
03-11-2008, 08:05 AM
I'll stick to the valley, thank you very much. It's that place with people on the other side of those mountains :p Exactly! It was so nice driving home last night. The few traffic lights were blinking and no street lights. Stood in my own yard and star-gazed.

72gmc
03-11-2008, 11:50 AM
All this talk of Oregon centuries is making me jealous. The Crater Lake ride sounds fantastic. I haven't been up there in a long time.

Wiley J
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Not a century, but the Old Mckenzie Pass (Hwy 242) is open for a couple weeks every spring to bikes and pedestrians only. You could ride from Sisters. You have to do this. It's usually in June, I think. I'll post info when it becomes available

SadieKate
03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Is this bike/ped rule in effect for the Tour Des Chutes? The blog makes it sound like the route is dangerous.

http://bikebend.wordpress.com/2007/05/12/classic-ride-old-mckenzie-pass-before-cars-are-allowed/

Wiley J
03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Tour des Chutes must be the ride going on when I rode the pass last year. We rode from the West side, and when we arrived at the top, we were greeted by hundreds of cyclists who came from the East side. I'm sure it would only be during the "closed to vehicles" time of year.

frogpirate
03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
The Barlow Trail Century sounds intriguing but I can't find anything on River City Cycles' site. What am I missing?

I assume this goes near Mt Hood? I've been on dirt sections of the old trail.

Sadie,

Yes, it's towards Mt Hood. Here is a good write up:

http://escapevelocipede.blogspot.com/2006/09/6252006-barlow-trail-century-120-miles.html

(Hopefully that link-mo will work). Again, I've never actually ridden it, but I've ridden Lolo a few times. Always bring something warm for the rip back DOWN Lolo, DAMHIK.

Ken
:banana:

SadieKate
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm sure it would only be during the "closed to vehicles" time of year.Interestingly, the Mckenzie pass/Hwy 42 is listed as a low traffic route on my ODOT Bicycle Guide map. Ok, so it is from 1999 . . .

northbend
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Sign up if you're interested and you probably shouldn't put it off too long as there there are a limited number of riders. It truly is a great ride!