PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Build

97CSI
03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Dropped by Harry Havnoonian's Cyclesport in Media, PA with my CSI this afternoon. Reason was to lett Harry measure the CSI, as I am very comfortable riding century and other longer rides on it. So is a good starting point for the new touring bike Harry is building for me.

During our first meeting last month we agreed on an overall spec (fully lugged steel, disc brakes, full set of eyelets and attachment points for fenders, S&S couplers). This trip was to measure the CSI (55 x 54) and select the lugs, tubeset, etc. Harry is thinking that the TT, HT & DT will be 531 for the comfort and vertical compliance while the ST, seat-stays and chain-stays will be 853 to add lateral stiffness for pedaling efficiency. Lugs will be 'long-point' all around with a special set of rear dropouts that are lugged, but have both a set of mounts for the disc brake and a replaceable RD hanger. One thing I particularly like is that the S&S lugs are also long-point, as are the front fork dropouts. Nice design. While I had planned on the build taking quite a bit longer, I might have the bike for riding this summer. Wheels will be Open Pro CD on XT hubs for the discs. Avid BB7 brakes with 203mm/160mm rotors front/rear. Campy triple (Record, Chorus, Centaur mix) for the balance of the group.

Have attached a photo of a tig'd touring frameset with S&S couplers that Harry built last month. Is quite similar in design, with the exception of lugs all around on mine. Nice wide crown on the fork allows for the use of 33c tires. This particular frameset is powder coated, where mine will be painted with Imron.

Second pic is of some of Harry's other work. Two are awaiting customer pick-up and the other three are older builds. In addition, there were a couple of track bikes and an aluminum bike in various stages of being fit-up.

Blue Jays
03-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Brakes on the inside of the rear triangle of that white bike pictured on the rack? Funky.

fiamme red
03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Brakes on the inside of the rear triangle of that white bike pictured on the rack? Funky.That's very common on Havnoonians.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=170197&postcount=7

thwart
03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
That top photo is a sweet looking frame.

I've read good things about Harry...

97CSI
03-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Harry does have some original ideas. He has a unique seat-lug that we are thinking of using which pivots freely until the final alignment, when it is silver brazed. Allows for simple, spot-on alignment of the rear triangle. Should have thought to pull out the camera when he was showing me the lug/tube selections he has in-house. I'll get some more pic's, including some close-ups, on the next visit. Harry does all the lugged work. He has a retired nuclear cert'd welder who does his Ti, Al and tig'd steel welding.

The post linked above talks about Harry's shop being downtown. Harry's "CycleSport" shop has been in Media for quite a number of years. His brother also has a shop in another of the suburbs about 5-6 miles from Harry's.