PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Bar Tape

I Want Sachs?
03-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know whether the Brooks leather bar tape has sticky back like many of the cork varieties? The sticky backs seem to make re-wrapping with the same tape difficult the second time around. I am wondering whether Brooks make the tape without sticky back, and if with sticky back, does the leather hold up better so that re-wrapping is not an issue?

dirtdigger88
03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
it has some tape on the back

it can be re-wraped

AR's stuff is better

Jason

ewwhite
03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Rewrapping works well. The adhesive isn't too much, so I've not had any difficulty in rewrapping bars, adjusting brake levers, etc. The tape holds up.

I Want Sachs?
03-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Rewrapping works well. The adhesive isn't too much, so I've not had any difficulty in rewrapping bars, adjusting brake levers, etc. The tape holds up.
Thanks. That is good to know.

Dirt, what is AR? Thanks.

jthurow
03-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Can you peel the adhesive off the back? I've done that w/ other tapes in the past.

& no more mention of AR's tape... I'm taunted by every mention of it. It's like Heinz ketchup...

jimi

Louis
03-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Dirt, what is AR? Thanks.

See here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29081)

Blue Jays
03-08-2008, 02:26 PM
I would be happy to give the new tape from Ahneida Ride a whirl once we hear it's widely available. My fingers are crossed that it will be offered in black, white, red, and the standard tan/honey colors.
Helping a fellow forumite successfully launch a business venture would also be a nice side benefit.

jthurow
03-08-2008, 02:28 PM
you guys are cruel...

jimi

William
03-08-2008, 02:33 PM
See here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29081)

...And here: (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=41781)

William

mcteague
03-08-2008, 02:43 PM
$70 for handlebar tape? Does it last 7 to 10x longer than regular foam tape?

Tim McTeague

Louis
03-08-2008, 02:55 PM

It's better to look good than to be good...

Some folks also like the feel, but I've never tried it and don't plan on it. I don't want to make killing animals any more profitable than it already is.

jthurow
03-08-2008, 03:42 PM

Tim McTeagueI don't have the AR tape, but I have a roll that someone on the Classic Rendezvous had made by an amish harness maker. It's lasted through 3 years of commuting and being re-wrapped twice. I took it off to put on some Fujitoshi but couldn't stand to throw it out b/c it still has plenty of life left in it. So...yeah, I could see it lasting 7 times as long.

jimi

I Want Sachs?
03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
It's better to look good than to be good...

That is why Brooks tape is so popular at the NAHMBS. Afterall, we don't really know how the bikes ride, but they sure look good. I suspect some of NAHMBS builder actually make great riding bikes, but it is a shame that we don't have a way to really experience it unless we buy the bike.

Since I can't afford a Sachs or Weigle, I figure why not live the luxurious life with what I can afford for now.

Blue Jays
03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
This mysterious Ahneida Ride / AR handlebar wrap is creating quite a pre-launch buzz on the interwebz! Just like the movie said, "Build it and they will come."

stuckey
03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I have the Brooks tape, it is not so good to say the least. It lost its' color almost instantly from getting a little wet and hand sweat. I ended up putting shellac it to try and save it for a while. Right now I am using Selle Anatomica it is a lot better and does not have backing tape so it can be unwrapped plus it is waterproof. The only advice I would give is to put gel tape under it.
http://www.mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop%20new.htm

weiwentg
03-09-2008, 12:00 AM
And yes I will accept frn. I have little choice. How much frn is good tape
worth?

from the horse's mouth, you can buy the AR tape with frns.

I Want Sachs?
03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Sounds like the Brooks tape does not have as much dampening as cork tapes from what I read. Has anyone tried to put cork tape underneath the Brooks? How about those gel-pads or Rivendell rushions? I am trying to keep the leather tape look, but would like to have some softer comfort.

palincss
03-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Sounds like the Brooks tape does not have as much dampening as cork tapes from what I read. Has anyone tried to put cork tape underneath the Brooks? How about those gel-pads or Rivendell rushions? I am trying to keep the leather tape look, but would like to have some softer comfort.

Dampening? From what, vibration through the handlebars from rough road surfaces like chipseal? If so, cushioning material on the handlebars really isn't the best way to address the issue.

Have you ever tried wider tires with less air pressure? Or even simply less air pressure with your current tires? Many people run their tires with too much air pressure, pumping them rock hard and effectively defeating the original purpose of pneumatic tires - which was to provide suspension.

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I've have a lot more info. on AR's Bar wrap by the end of this week.

B***** tape is ok ... but that is about it. There has got to be a
better offering out there.

Theses are the requirements, Top grain leather, waterproof, tacky for
superior grip, thin foam backing, available in colors, feels like leather (not
plastic), very durable, wraps nicely, all with a non outrageous price and
made right here in the good old USA.

The trick is to meet all of these requirements. not just some.

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2008, 11:13 AM

My LBS guru double wraps almost all his bars. HE saves and uses
floor scraps. He does not wrap under the brake levers, where the levers
would meet the bar if one squeazed all the way down.

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2008, 11:17 AM
This mysterious Ahneida Ride / AR handlebar wrap is creating quite a pre-launch buzz on the interwebz!

Come one now .... clue me in .... where is this happening ?

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2008, 11:23 AM
some more pictures ....

Serotta Legend Ti .... (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=30993&highlight=orange+legend)

I Want Sachs?
03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
I have picked up a set of Brooks bartape and wrapped it yesterday. It feels nice, althought not as cushy as the cork that I am used to. Do you guys proofhide the leather bartape? Why or why not? Thanks.

dbrk
03-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I've long given up on cork tape. I think it's ugly and goes well with brifters, which are ugly too (even if they function well, though no better than dt shifters. So you can see from pure grumpiness (it's March, though I am in Costa Rica in the jungle having a wonderful time...), that I want to like the Brooks wrap. Namesake notwithstanding and my love for the saddles confirmed over at least 35 years of riding, I think this wrap really stinks. The Fujitoshi is about a zillion times better. AR's is way cool, far better. I will peel off the last effort at wanting to like this and won't return until significant improvement is made: it wraps the edges very poorly, wears terribly, discolors and handles the wet pathetically, and has otherwise left me unimpressed. Of course, I also prefer Viva cotton tape, so what do I know?

dbrk