PDA

View Full Version : "Tubulars" at the Tour of California...

sspielman
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Here are a couple pictures of tubulars being used at the Tour of California. The "Michelins" were being used by Bouygues Telecom....and the all black tire was branded "Specialized" and was being used by Quick Step. The "Specializeds" were marked "made in Italy" and were very clearly Veloflexes...The team had gone to the trouble of getting two different tread patterns and mounted the ribbed centered ones in the back (carbons) and the diamond centered ones up front (criteriums)....just like the old days of cx/cg's....

caleb
03-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Those Michelins look like the real deal, not a rebrand job.

Is it a limited run?

Evidence of things to come?

jthurow
03-07-2008, 02:52 PM
I've read that Michelin does special runs of tubulars for pro teams. So sad, to bad for us...

jimi

ThasFACE
03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I recall a thread over on ww discussing these michelin tubulars. I think they're just a limited run that has been available exclusively to teams for the past couple of seasons, but I could be wrong.

sspielman
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I looked at the Michelins pretty closely and couldn't find any real giveaway as to their maker....other than that the treadbands certainly appeared to be genuine Michelin..he tires still could be from some maker who assembled them with the supplied treads ....cool stuff....

Too Tall
03-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Very cool stuff Sspielman, you rawk :) Gotta find out more on the Michelin's...the possibility of a larger vol. tubular tyre ooooooh ahhhh.

sspielman
03-07-2008, 06:03 PM
The Michelins pictured were about 22mm wide.....so about the same as a Veloflex Criterium or Carbon...If I had thought about it, I would have asked the mechanic what they would be using for Roubaix and Flanders.