PDA

View Full Version : Are the older silver Vento 16-HPW wheels pretty durable?

handsomerob
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I am trying to pare down as many bikes and wheels as possible and I am not sure what the right call is here.

I have this set of Ventos on my Bianchi.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=34698&stc=1

They look great and will certainly be fine for road use, but can't find anything regarding their long term durability or potential for cross use (maybe a half dozen races per season). I realize they are low spoke count, but the spokes are bladed and pretty beefy. Also, the wheelset weighs in at a little over 2000 grams, so that leads me to believe they would be solid enough to use for just about anything.

I have another wheelset that would certainly work (Mavic Reflex 32H rims, 14G straight spokes, Record hubs), but I would like to settle in on one or the other if possible.

Any thoughts?

shinomaster
03-07-2008, 01:27 PM
According to Sachs if a spoke breaks "it's Jodie Foster time."

MilanoTom
03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
According to Sachs if a spoke breaks "it's Jodie Foster time."

That (whatever is meant by "it's Jodie Foster time") applies to any low spoke wheel. The older they are, the tougher it is to find replacement spokes. I found that out a couple of years ago when I popped a drive side spoke on a set of 1998 Electrons - the ones that had the really bad pull angle on the 1-cross drive side.

For what it's worth, a few years back I knew a big (as in tall and close to 200 pounds) strong rider who loved his Ventos and never had a problem with them. I'd trust them, although I can't say the same for the older 12-spoke Shamals...

Tom

handsomerob
03-07-2008, 01:57 PM
That (whatever is meant by "it's Jodie Foster time") applies to any low spoke wheel. The older they are, the tougher it is to find replacement spokes. I found that out a couple of years ago when I popped a drive side spoke on a set of 1998 Electrons - the ones that had the really bad pull angle on the 1-cross drive side.

For what it's worth, a few years back I knew a big (as in tall and close to 200 pounds) strong rider who loved his Ventos and never had a problem with them. I'd trust them, although I can't say the same for the older 12-spoke Shamals...

Tom

I had read somewhere that the weight penalty of the Ventos vs. the Shamals was amply made up for in the increased durability.

shinomaster
03-07-2008, 01:58 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32827&highlight=jodi+foster

fiamme red
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
That (whatever is meant by "it's Jodie Foster time") applies to any low spoke wheel.Jodie Foster was in Taxi Driver. Break a spoke, call a cab.

MilanoTom
03-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Jodie Foster was in Taxi Driver. Break a spoke, call a cab.

ahhhh... I knew she was in Taxi Driver (I still have my VHS copy), but didn't make the connection. Thanks.

MilanoTom
03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I had read somewhere that the weight penalty of the Ventos vs. the Shamals was amply made up for in the increased durability.

I could be wrong on this, but I think at first the Shamal 16 spokes, at least in the rear. Then the Shamal switched to 12, but a couple of years (or so) later switched back to 16. The fellow I mentioned in my earlier post really liked the stiffness of the Vento, so much so that he liked climbing with them (this was in the pre-Helium days).

Tom

giordana93
03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Jodie Foster was in Taxi Driver. Break a spoke, call a cab.
never knew that one either; let's encrypt it as "JFT" to go along with the other acronymsmo

Larry
03-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Ventos- incredibly tough for this Clydesdale.
Really excellent in a tough crosswind!
Campy quality ++++++

deechee
03-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a pair of Shamals that look like your Ventos. Friend of mine hit a car with my bike, crumpled the alu frame and cracked the fork. The wheels were only slightly out of true. I still race with them - definitely car-proof.

handsomerob
03-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I have a pair of Shamals that look like your Ventos. Friend of mine hit a car with my bike, crumpled the alu frame and cracked the fork. The wheels were only slightly out of true. I still race with them - definitely car-proof.

That sounds like the endorsement I was looking for.

sspielman
03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I could be wrong on this, but I think at first the Shamal 16 spokes, at least in the rear. Then the Shamal switched to 12, but a couple of years (or so) later switched back to 16. The fellow I mentioned in my earlier post really liked the stiffness of the Vento, so much so that he liked climbing with them (this was in the pre-Helium days).

Tom

You are correct,sir..a set of the original Shamals are on this bike:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38173&highlight=primato

93LegendTG
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I still have my set of original 16/16 Shamals that were built with conventional J bend spokes. I only use them for TT's now, but still think of them as bomb proof.

vaxn8r
03-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I owned and rode a set 16 spoke Ventos for several years. At first I thought they were pretty nice wheels. They are fast. But they are heavy and give a punishing ride. If you aren't doing centuries they will be great. I found them very durable. I don't recall ever truing either wheel, even after a couple of years riding them. Like all Campy wheels, changing tires can be a bear, depending somewhat on your tire.

handsomerob
03-07-2008, 11:12 PM
I owned and rode a set 16 spoke Ventos for several years. At first I thought they were pretty nice wheels. They are fast. But they are heavy and give a punishing ride. If you aren't doing centuries they will be great. I found them very durable. I don't recall ever truing either wheel, even after a couple of years riding them. Like all Campy wheels, changing tires can be a bear, depending somewhat on your tire.

I have ridden the bike a fair amount with the tires pictured and maybe it was the cross geometry and the steel frame, but the set up was pretty smooth. The 23c GP4000's were a bear to get on, but those tires are coming off and I will alternate between 28c Ultra Gatorskins for most of the year and 35c Cross tires during the cross season. Both of these tires have been easy to get on and off just about any rim and I am confident that either of these tires will smooth the ride far more than a stiff wheel could possible worsen it.

vaxn8r
03-08-2008, 12:15 AM
I bet the longer wheel base helps smooth out the ride a bit. I'd think they'd be good for cross, shedding mud and such. Only draw back is weight but you get improved toughness and braking compared to many CF rims. Try them out for a while. I used to love the sound they made on the road. They whirr.

handsomerob
03-08-2008, 12:57 AM
I bet the longer wheel base helps smooth out the ride a bit. I'd think they'd be good for cross, shedding mud and such. Only draw back is weight but you get improved toughness and braking compared to many CF rims. Try them out for a while. I used to love the sound they made on the road. They whirr.

Sounds good... besides, I got 25lbs to shed off the engine before I worry about a less than a 1lb on the wheels. ;)

Larry
03-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Just another thought.

The 2007 Eurus wheels are both light and tough. Good reports from
heavier riders. Nice rim design and really strong looking spokes.
You might find an excellent price on Ebay or Road Bike Review.

Fulcrums are an excellent option, also.
Deals are out there for lightly used equipment.

handsomerob
03-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Just another thought.

The 2007 Eurus wheels are both light and tough. Good reports from
heavier riders. Nice rim design and really strong looking spokes.
You might find an excellent price on Ebay or Road Bike Review.

Fulcrums are an excellent option, also.
Deals are out there for lightly used equipment.

just like a true cyclist... I am trying to get eliminate one of two wheelsets I already own and you're suggesting the purchase of a new wheelset. :crap:

FYI, these Ventos are 8 speed as are the Record shifters on the Bianchi. Although 8 speed cassettes will fit on the 9 and 10 speed hub body, IME they will really chew it up. I had an 8 speed cassette on my Zondas (now on my Carrera) for only a couple hundred miles and could barely take the cassette off. I had to sand down the scars on the hub body just to get a 10 speed cassette smoothly back on.

Larry
03-09-2008, 06:54 AM
just like a true cyclist... I am trying to get eliminate one of two wheelsets I already own and you're suggesting the purchase of a new wheelset. :crap:

FYI, these Ventos are 8 speed as are the Record shifters on the Bianchi. Although 8 speed cassettes will fit on the 9 and 10 speed hub body, IME they will really chew it up. I had an 8 speed cassette on my Zondas (now on my Carrera) for only a couple hundred miles and could barely take the cassette off. I had to sand down the scars on the hub body just to get a 10 speed cassette smoothly back on.

Rob,

Right on..... those Ventos were used during the 8 speed years.
A friend of mine had Zondas.... also very nice.

Yes.... I took the plunge to 10 speed. Then Ksyrium..... sold those.
Gotta' good deal on Eurus.