PDA

View Full Version : Contaminated Supplements?

A.L.Breguet
03-07-2008, 04:48 AM
From Cyclingnews.com:

"Neben, others sue Hammer Nutrition over contamination
Mark Zalewski, North American Editor

Amber Neben
Photo ©: Team Flexpoint
American cyclist Amber Neben, along with professional triathletes Rebekah Keat and Mike Vine, filed a lawsuit in a California district court last December against Hammer Nutrition, maker of Endurolytes. The lawsuit alleges that the product contained unlisted substances that caused all three plaintiffs to produce positive doping tests, and that further resulted in subsequent doping violations and sanctions.

Court documents obtained by Cyclingnews state that each plaintiff took multiple capsules of the product Endurolytes before competing in events in which each subsequently tested positive for 19-norandrosterone, a metabolite of the banned steroid norandrostenedione found in urine. Arguing for the plaintiffs is Howard Jacobs, well known for his work with Floyd Landis' case as well as other professional athletes involved with doping violations.

The lawsuit, which was initiated by Keat and her twin-sister Simone, states that Simone had the capsules in question independently tested by the WADA-accredited Doping Control Centre lab in Malaysia in June of 2006, all before retaining Jacobs. That lab reported to Keats that the capsules contained dehydroepiandrosterone and 4-androstenedione. Upon further examination, after repeated requests by Keat, the lab also found the samples were contaminated with norandrostenedione.

Keats retained Jacobs and the capsules were sent for testing at a different lab, Anti-Doping Research, Inc., a non-profit research organization started by Don Catlin, the founder of the UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory. Vine and Neben then joined the suit, but their actual capsules were not available for testing.

Neben's positive violation came from the 2003 Montreal world cup race while she was racing for T-Mobile, which at the time was also run as the USA Cycling Women's Development Team, headed by Mike Engleman. Hammer Nutrition supplied Engleman and the team with product.

Neben took a voluntary suspension before being handed a six-month, reduced sanction. The reduced sanction from a possible two years to six months came from the Court of Arbitration for Sport, along with a strong criticism of USAC by the majority, citing supplement contamination as the likely cause of the positive and chastising USAC for "encouraging the use of supplements, including Hammer Nutrition products..." which "underscored the total disregard for the warnings USADA and IOC have issued for years." "

Bruce K
03-07-2008, 07:06 AM
No wonder the Enduralytes work so well. :rolleyes:

I guess I'd better stock up on my Hammer Nutrition products fast. :p

BK

stevep
03-07-2008, 07:37 AM
bruce,
the forum is introducing testing on all rides.
be warned.
s

No wonder the Enduralytes work so well. :rolleyes:

I guess I'd better stock up on my Hammer Nutrition products fast. :p

BK

39cross
03-07-2008, 07:44 AM
bruce,
the forum is introducing testing on all rides.
be warned.
sSay it ain't so....I love my Enduralytes.

stevep
03-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Say it ain't so....I love my Enduralytes.

NOW YOU KNOW WHY.

you guys are both on the watch list now.
it ain't just fried clam juice flowing in those veins.

Too Tall
03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I'll go out on a limb. It ain't over till Le Fattie sings.
FWIIW I've logged 1000's of miles with principles of the company and they are not ethically challenged...just the opposite. Please don't judge, we've "been here before" in this arena. If this helps, I know for a fact that way long before it was "cool" these cats required certification from the folks who packaged their goods to declare that no banned substances had ever been run thu their machines....that does not mean it didn't happen right? The world is not all neat and tidy.

These ARE the good guys MHO.

swoop
03-07-2008, 08:32 AM
who the efff put my chemeric twin in my freaking coffee. that's what i wanna know.

William
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Soylent Enduralyte?

William :rolleyes:

WadePatton
03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
OH NO!

wonder what's in the Chain Breaker coffee beans?! :banana:

not reallymo.

Now that Hammer Bar--it's like a five-dollar shake...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoJAc_aSM7E&feature=related

stevep
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
we sell enduralites.
price skyrocketing.

swoop put in an offer for all we had.

his twin doubled the offer and left a po box.

Bruce K
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
TT;

Personally, I am not calling them out at all.

I will be VERY disappointed if this leads to the loss of some products that I have enjoyed over the past several seasons.

It's not always easy to find good products that work well.

In the meantime, I think I may need to put in my spring order early.

BK

goonster
03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I've been using their products for quite a while.

I'm also surprised that steroids are alleged to have shown up in Enduralytes, which are composed solely of minerals, IIRC. I'd expect traces of steroids in whey-based protein supplements, perhaps, but not electrolyte replacements.

Kevan
03-07-2008, 10:09 AM
endorement. Who knew getting sued was shrewed marketing?

Orin
03-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I've been using their products for quite a while.

I'm also surprised that steroids are alleged to have shown up in Enduralytes, which are composed solely of minerals, IIRC. I'd expect traces of steroids in whey-based protein supplements, perhaps, but not electrolyte replacements.

Endurolytes contain L-Tyrosine and show whey as an ingredient. They are not just minerals.

Orin.

swoop
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
any supplements you take are made somewhere. from what i understand there is a lot of cross contamination in the industry...
i just depends on how many products or being made on what machines and how well they're cleaned between shifts....

or something like that...

cadence231
03-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Endurolytes contain L-Tyrosine and show whey as an ingredient. They are not just minerals.

Orin.

Sorry. I am confused. Where do you see whey as an ingredient in Endurolyte capsules or powder?

Orin
03-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Sorry. I am confused. Where do you see whey as an ingredient in Endurolyte capsules or powder?

There is a list of other ingredients underneath the big panel on my bottle of capsules.

Orin.

cadence231
03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
There is a list of other ingredients underneath the big panel on my bottle of capsules.

Orin.
I still don't see whey as an ingredient where you indicate.

I have my bottle of Endurolytes in my hand now and still don't see whey as an ingredient. More so there is a box to the left of the front of the bottle, right underneath of the "100% Gaurantee" box, "Endurolytes Does Not Contain" that says Endurolytes does not contain dairy which is what whey derived from.

znfdl
03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I still don't see whey as an ingredient where you indicate.

I have my bottle of Endurolytes in my hand now and still don't see whey as an ingredient. More so there is a box to the left of the front of the bottle, right underneath of the "100% Gaurantee" box, "Endurolytes Does Not Contain" that says Endurolytes does not contain dairy which is what whey derived from.

The other ingredients are:

Gelatin
Whey (does not list soy or dairy based)
Magnesium Stearate
Stearic Acid

cadence231
03-07-2008, 01:51 PM
The other ingredients are:

Gelatin
Whey (does not list soy or dairy based)
Magnesium Stearate
Stearic Acid

On my bottle for "Other Ingredients":

Vegetable Capsules(plant cellulose and water), Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate, Stearic acid
Do you guys have the old bottles? Mine has an expire date of 5/10.

znfdl
03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
On my bottle for "Other Ingredients":

Vegetable Capsules(plant cellulose and water), Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate, Stearic acid
Do you guys have the old bottles? Mine has an expire date of 5/10.

Old Bottle, guess mine are not the new and improved :banana:

goonster
03-07-2008, 02:17 PM
any supplements you take are made somewhere. from what i understand there is a lot of cross contamination in the industry...
i just depends on how many products or being made on what machines and how well they're cleaned between shifts....

I work in a related industry, and have extensive experience with cleaning regimens of processing equipment. To think that they could have this level of cross-contamination freaks me out a little bit. :no:

A.L.Breguet
03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Just to be perfectly clear, I am not passing judgement.
Depending on how this turns out, it may lend some credence to past explanations for non-negative/positive tests.
I use the products, like Recoverite, and will continue to do so. I trust Hammer.

swoop
03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
i don't remember... is this what monninger went through too? was it bad supplements? it all blurs together...

cadence231
03-07-2008, 05:43 PM
i don't remember... is this what monninger went through too? was it bad supplements? it all blurs together...

Yes. That's the way I remomminger it.

mgm777
03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I use their Perpetuem as fuel for my long rides. Man, that stuff works like magic for me. No more bonking. I hope it doesn't go away.

zap
03-08-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=taintedsupplements2

cs124
03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I work in a related industry, and have extensive experience with cleaning regimens of processing equipment. To think that they could have this level of cross-contamination freaks me out a little bit. :no:

me too. verifiable segregation between batches is the thing.

A.L.Breguet
03-08-2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=taintedsupplements2
He said "taint"! Tee hee!

manet
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
... ever place an endurolyte capsule in a microwave

A.L.Breguet
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Just now! It just burst after about 30 seconds. Does that mean it's "tainted"?

stevep
03-08-2008, 12:30 PM

asks the guy with not a lot to do.

manet,

what about a toothbrush?
a hat?
pr of socks?
one sock

do some research, will you.

manet
03-08-2008, 02:14 PM
asks the guy with not a lot to do.

manet,

what about a toothbrush?
a hat?
pr of socks?
one sock

do some research, will you.

senior dude,

the item one places in the micro must have guts to explode.
that does not mean one should ever place a cannoli in the micro.
that would wasteful and dumb.

the microwave was invented for rainy cold days.

roman meal
03-08-2008, 02:20 PM
senior dude,

Place a clif block in there. Do they explode or melt?

stevep
03-08-2008, 02:53 PM
man, im catching up to you on posts..
hear the footsteps...you better start to come up w/ more that popping diet pills in the microwave...
you're losing credibility here.

raining like shiit here but i got an hour in this am before it started anyway.

senior dude,

keno
03-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Whoever runs Hammer's mail advertising department sure is on steroids, or crack.

keno

A.L.Breguet
03-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Place a clif block in there. Do they explode or melt?
It turns into Hammer gel.