PDA

View Full Version : Absolute best floor pump

toaster
03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm looking. I've seen high volume pumps claim to deliver 100psi in 10 strokes and the ability to seat UST mountain tubeless tires, so far the Serfas brand has the FMP-500 which looks great.

Blackburn has some high end pumps like the Tower 5 or Team CSC??

What is the best ultimate and then the best value for around $50-$60?

aLexis
03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Specialized Pro.

DarrenCT
03-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Specialized Pro.

i have a good specialized pump

maybe thats the one.

if it is, its freakin good.

Louis
NOT Silca. The chucks stink.

swoop
liz hatch. did i say that out loud? its hit or miss but my last park tools shop pump is my favorite.

DarrenCT
03-06-2008, 10:32 PM
liz hatch. did i say that out loud?

psi doesnt go as high

needs to blow harder

vaxn8r
03-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Specialized Pro.
Yep.

girlie
03-06-2008, 10:35 PM
liz hatch. did i say that out loud?

You are so from/living in L.A. and not on the east coast.
Have you ever been out this way? They are not ready
for this................you'll get DarrenCT all respecting
his mother-hahaha

Louis
03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
and we wonder why Pete's pulling his hair out...

huey
03-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I've got a Specialized Pro that I just can't kill. I've used it for four years and it has traveled, probably 30K miles with me all over the country. In and out of the car, at races, trailheads, etc.. I've tried to hurt it, and I can't!
:D

mflaherty37
03-06-2008, 10:40 PM
NOT Silca. The chucks stink.

I cut it off. But it's still just a pump.

AgilisMerlin
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
silca.........

85'
most paint gone
cracked top plastic cover off pressure gauge eventually got depressed and wound up missing
2nd leather gasket
greased up chamber
old rubber gasket that hates non threaded valves
works like the day it was new

never thought of another = true love........... :D

03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
silca.........

85'
most paint gone
cracked top plastic cover off pressure gauge eventually got depressed and wound up missing
2nd leather gasket
greased up chamber

Yes, the love of your youth. You still keep her picture up there. But it becomes something like that dog that answers to "Lucky". If Silca still made a 1985 (or even better, a 1970) pump, I'd still be using it. I gave up. They are crap today. Get the Specialized Air Tool Pro. Less money and much more pump

coylifut
03-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Yes, the love of your youth. You still keep her picture up there. But it becomes something like that dog that answers to "Lucky". If Silca still made a 1985 (or even better, a 1970) pump, I'd still be using it. I gave up. They are crap today. Get the Specialized Air Tool Pro. Less money and much more pump

I took 11.4's advice on the Specialized pump. Well priced and effective.

Blue Jays
03-06-2008, 11:24 PM
I've got a 1982 REG floorpump around in that funky electric blue.
My other pump is a new Blackburn TrackPump Sport2 which seems to do a decent job.

Jack Brunk
03-06-2008, 11:27 PM
What about a disk wheel and a Hed 3 wheel. My Silca is the only pump with a head adopter that fits on a solid disk that I'm aware of. Any others?

RudAwkning
03-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Topeak Joe Blow Pro. Been through many pumps and have finally settled on this one.

yim
03-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Topeak Joe Blow Pro. Been through many pumps and have finally settled on this one.

The best.

Elefantino
03-07-2008, 06:14 AM
+2.

Makes me wonder why I spent so many years chasing after those other floor pumps.

sspielman
03-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Silca. I bought another (my third) at a swap meet this winter for $10 because it "wasn't working".....greased the gasket and Voila! I am saving this one to donate to some poor sap who has gotten frustrated with his Trek-Bontrager-Specialized-Topeak-Joe Blowjob wonderpump.

Keith A
03-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Topeak Joe Blow Pro. Been through many pumps and have finally settled on this one.Ditto for me too. I haven't tried the Specialized one, but the JoeBlow Pro doesn't leave me wanting for anything different or better.

BTW, this was Bicycling Editors' Choice for 2007.

alancw3
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
zefel elegante. great high volume floor pump. also sold now under the michelin name brand now. have had this pump for a little over a year and just love it. my original zefel hp frame pump is about thirty years old and still in service on my bikes. zefel quality abounds.

subsequent followup 8/1/08. this pump actually started leaking around the base after TWO years of use.. i wrote to zefal to see how i could tighen. no response. then i wrote to the usa distributor with the same question. no response. i wrote again and still no response. then i wrote again and suggested i whould get a new pump. still no response. at this point i would say i will never buy another zefal product. actually shame on zefal as i have always felt good about their products. customer service is what it is all about in todays competitive world.

dekindy
03-07-2008, 07:27 AM
There are a lot of good pumps in the price range.

Silca Pista or Super Pista for a few dollars more
Topeak Joe Blow Pro
Blackburn Airtower 4
Wrenchforce Air Daddy

jasond
03-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Blackburn has some high end pumps like the Tower 5 or Team CSC??

I have Blackburns Airtower 5, it's a great pump. A little pricie but they warranty it for life. If it ever breaks just bring it to your LBS and they should give you a new one. My LBS told me they had someone come in with a broken pump that was over 5yrs old and they just gave him a new one. And you don't have to be a body builder to be able to pump your tires up.

yim
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
There are a lot of good pumps in the price range.

Silca Pista or Super Pista for a few dollars more
Topeak Joe Blow Pro
Blackburn Airtower 4
Wrenchforce Air Daddy

Oh my god, please don't mentioned Slica Pista.

pedalcr8z
03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
I used to say my 20+ year old Silca HOWEVER at the bike shop I work at here in Indianapolis we received the new Cannondale Airport Maximum and it is UNQUESTIONABLY the very best I've ever used;
Hose a good 6" longer than most;
The largest diameter air shaft I've seen...nearly the circumfrance of a half dollar allowing either HP = high pressure or HV = high volume.......can go from a flat tire to 100 lbs. in 10 strokes TOTAL!
LARGE legible guage at top of pump WITH PUSH BUTTON air release valve.
$59.99 retail.........all metal very ergonomic design.
Kudos to Cannondale's design team for this one!

Kevan
03-07-2008, 08:10 AM
there's only very good. A vote for Blackburn.

MarleyMon
03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Topeak Joe Blow Pro.
mine works great

stevep
03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
they are all just as good*.
they are all probably made in the same factory fr gawds sakemo.

* except silcas which have suucked for the last 20 yrsmo at least.

AgilisMerlin
03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
they are all just as good*.
they are all probably made in the same factory fr gawds sakemo.

* except silcas which have suucked for the last 20 yrsmo at least.

20 years and suucking strongmo :D

jchasse
03-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Another +

I've got a Blackburn, some big Park pump, and the Joe Blow Pro blows them away :p

Best chuck, fairly precise air pressure bleed button. Just a great pump. Oh, and a neat carbon fiber dial!

toaster
03-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Regarding Silca, I have a Silca and the narrow base makes it fall over constantly. I hate it!

Everytime I touch it it falls over. :crap:

AgilisMerlin
03-07-2008, 08:50 AM
i like silca's and all their nice accoutrement's

http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/contents/media/Silca%20Track%20Pump%20Disc%20Adaptor.JPG

sg8357
03-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Pumps is pumps, what you need is a Hirame pump head.
The Brooks of pump heads and about as heavy.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/hiramepumphds.html

zap
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I just purchased an Airtower 5 to back up our Zefal Double Shot thats seen better days. I used it a few times and it works just fine. I think I got it for something like half the retail price so shop around.

William
03-07-2008, 08:54 AM
The TOPEAK AIR HAMMER classic has worked great for me for quite a few years. 120 -125 psi is no problem at all

William

ClutchCargo
03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I took 11.4's advice on the Specialized pump. Well priced and effective.

Lifetime warranty, too, no?
Never buy another.
That said, the JoeBlow Pro or Turbo are great;
Topeak customer service very good, too.

nm87710
03-07-2008, 10:26 AM
silca.........

85'
most paint gone
2nd leather gasket
greased up chamber

true dat

- '80 won at Santa Cruz Criterium
- glass top pressure guage(bars) still works great. always amazed at how many people borrowing it can't multiply bars x 15 in their head to get psi :crap:
- recently I've replaced hose/head with Topeak every 2 years
- 3rd leather gasket - grease once year
- works like a champ every day, week, year, decade...

Don't know now many decades it will last but when needed I'll probably just get one of the "good" disposable pumps mentioned elsewhere in this thread ;)

sspielman
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
.....always amazed at how many people borrowing it.....
THIS tells the whole story.....

julia
03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Pumps is pumps, what you need is a Hirame pump head.
The Brooks of pump heads and about as heavy.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/hiramepumphds.html

great info. looking to set myself up with a floor pump and THIS looks like a piece of equipment worth having.

sounds like the topeak joe blow with one of these might be a good combo

J.Greene
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
always amazed at how many people borrowing it can't multiply bars x 15 in their head to get psi :crap:

1 bar does not equal 15psi. You may say it's close and you may be right. It's not the same though. If your putting in 7-8 bar for the road or up to 10 or so for track your error is wider than some people might like.

just sayn'

JG

RudAwkning
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
She's gone from suck to blow!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKYTf993c2c

DHallerman
03-07-2008, 11:54 AM
+2.

Makes me wonder why I spent so many years chasing after those other floor pumps.

+3

The Topeak has the best chuck...goes on, latch easy, stays on...

Louis
03-07-2008, 11:54 AM
I've been very happy with my Topeak Joe Blow. It's a very good value. Probably not the tip-top quality, but as far as value, very very good.

dekindy
03-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I used to say my 20+ year old Silca HOWEVER at the bike shop I work at here in Indianapolis we received the new Cannondale Airport Maximum and it is UNQUESTIONABLY the very best I've ever used;
Hose a good 6" longer than most;
The largest diameter air shaft I've seen...nearly the circumfrance of a half dollar allowing either HP = high pressure or HV = high volume.......can go from a flat tire to 100 lbs. in 10 strokes TOTAL!
LARGE legible guage at top of pump WITH PUSH BUTTON air release valve.
$59.99 retail.........all metal very ergonomic design.
Kudos to Cannondale's design team for this one!

I had not heard of the Cannondale. Here is another one that I had not heard of. This guy recommends the Silca Super Pista and this is his second choice.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html

I happened to see that these guys have pumps on sale.

http://biketiresdirect.com/search_results.asp?cat=fp&gclid=CKr4ma7O-5ECFQgdPAodKD37kQ

MilanoTom
03-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I hate to say it, but this is like a "Which saddle (or tire, or framebuilder) is the best?" thread. There is no shortage of opinions, and no correct answer atmo.

Tom

michael white
03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
you guys using Silca should consider "making the leap."

or not, whatever, it's not like it's worth wasting one second on.

GregL
03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I have Blackburns Airtower 5, it's a great pump. A little pricie but they warranty it for life. If it ever breaks just bring it to your LBS and they should give you a new one. My LBS told me they had someone come in with a broken pump that was over 5yrs old and they just gave him a new one. And you don't have to be a body builder to be able to pump your tires up.

Blackburn's warranty is great because it has to be! I'm on my 4th Blackburn pump in 10 years. The good news is that as they have failed, Blackburn has very quickly replaced them. The bad news is that the quality of the pumps has worsened with each succeeding model. I've had bases break, gauges fail, hoses fail, and internal gasket failures. I finally gave up and bought a reliable Topeak Joe Blow...

Regards,
Greg

nm87710
03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
1 bar does not equal 15psi. You may say it's close and you may be right. It's not the same though. If your putting in 7-8 bar for the road or up to 10 or so for track your error is wider than some people might like.

just sayn'

JG

For some reason guys that forget their pump don't seem to concerned about the 3.45% error rate(15 vs. 14.5037738). Never had a complaint before or after a ride/race. I think they are focused on the big picture rather than the trivia.

Idris Icabod
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to reiterate not buying a Silca. I bougth one about 9 months ago and it simply doesn't work. I bought it because of all the parts being easily available, especially the washer that gets chewed up by threaded valve stems. It doesn't push any air what so ever. I pulled it apart and all looks like it should. In fact I really need to send it back to Nashbar. I have a Serfas pump, something-500 I think that does the job. The washer unfortunately isn't replacable but when it did get chewed up I sent an e-mail to customer service and they sent me out gratis an entire new head.

dekindy
03-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Blackburn's warranty is great because it has to be! I'm on my 4th Blackburn pump in 10 years. The good news is that as they have failed, Blackburn has very quickly replaced them. The bad news is that the quality of the pumps has worsened with each succeeding model. I've had bases break, gauges fail, hoses fail, and internal gasket failures. I finally gave up and bought a reliable Topeak Joe Blow...

Regards,
Greg

The JB is rebuildable, isn't it? I think this is probably the pump I would buy if I had to do it over again. I had a cheaper Wrench Force that broke after only a couple of months and the LBS warrantied and gave me credit so that I could replace it with a Blackburn TP-2 that I have now been using for a year. But based on comments on this thread and others I don't expect it to hold up.

MilanoTom
03-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I hate to say it, but this is like a "Which saddle (or tire, or framebuilder) is the best?" thread. There is no shortage of opinions, and no correct answer atmo.

Tom

For what it's worth, I've got two Silcas (an older pink one, complete with a Columbus sticker, and one that's only about five years old) and a Bontrager that I bought as a spare while working out of town as a mechanic on a charity tour. When I need a pump, I grab whichever one is closest. If I could only pick one to keep, it would be the old Silca.

Regards.
Tom

rdparadise
03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I have the super Blackburn 5 pump. It works on two cyclinders so that it does do about 100 PSI in 10 pumps. The larger cyclinder has since lost compression so now it works like a regular pump.

I guess I could get a kit and rebuild it.

While it lasted (5 years or so) it worked great. Although doing the 10 pumps was genuinely challenging. Once it typically got up to 80 I hit the red button to disengage the outer cyclinder for easier pumping.

I wouldn't recommend this pump based on my experience and it's costs.

I have used a Joe Blow and they seem to work really well.

Bob

Spinner
03-07-2008, 03:35 PM
... i've had one for several years and it work great.

when i rode with a rear disc, i used a silca head to which i attached a short section of high-pressure tubing and a valve stem, held tight with small hose clamps. with this device, you can use any presta pump to fill a disc.