PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge unit

jasond
03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I recently bought a garmin cycling unit and have a quick question for those of you that use them. I wanted to know if I really need to use the magnet to calculate speed or is the GPS function accurate enough? I only ask because I have the new R-sys wheels and I would have to have the LBS change the integrated magnet from the front to the rear wheel. I spoke with the LBS tonight and they really didn't make me feel very comfortable with their ability to do this.

Thanks

J

3chordwonder
03-06-2008, 06:25 PM
imho - just use the GPS, it's perfectly fine unless you need NASA mission planning accuracy.

PoppaWheelie
03-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I've been happy enough with the GPS-only method....getting rid of all those magnets was my main reason for buying the Edge in the first place.

SpeedyChix
03-06-2008, 06:35 PM
+1 on the no magnet.

mtb_frk
03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
If you want a more accurate gps map made dont use the smart recording feature. Some of the single track I ride is so tight that using the smart recording isnt accurate enough.

jasond
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
If you want a more accurate gps map made dont use the smart recording feature. Some of the single track I ride is so tight that using the smart recording isnt accurate enough.

I actually have it set to every second as I'm not worried about overwriting data or using up storage space since I'll download the info daily.

jasond
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the help...I rode today and the average speed seemed on target however I was 1mph faster than Mon. Which could be anything.

Oh yeah this could be a stupid question but what does imho mean???

maunahaole
03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
imho means just about the same as atmo ;)

Satellite
03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah this could be a stupid question but what does imho mean???

In My Humble Opinion

jasond
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
In My Humble Opinion

oh nice...Thank you!

shanerpvt
03-06-2008, 07:25 PM
On the Edge 305, if the computer is reading both the GPS and the magnet it gives you a "3D" on the display. I use it for the Cadence function (one sensor reads cadence mag on crank arm and speed mag on rear wheel).

hope this helps,

shaner

Louis
03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
imho means just about the same as atmo ;)

so what does ....

chuckred
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Only reason to use the magnet for speed is if you want to use it indoors on a trainer, as far as I can tell... (AFAICT) - or if you want to save battery power by turning off the GPS...

jasond
03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Only reason to use the magnet for speed is if you want to use it indoors on a trainer, as far as I can tell... (AFAICT) - or if you want to save battery power by turning off the GPS...

This is true, I hadn't thought about what I would do if I use it on my rollers. Hopefully I don't have to use the roller much this summer. :D

Blue Jays
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
jasond, it's my plan to use a Garmin without the "sender" mounted on the chainstay or magnet on the spokes. Most of the people with whom I've spoken who own this device say it's plenty accurate using GPS only. Some of them use it on multiple bicycles where some bikes have the magnets and others don't. In real-world practice, the data is VERY close. The only exception appears to be when under very heavy tree cover on mountainbikes. For roadbikes, it appears we're golden! :)

terrytnt
03-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I just contacted Garmin the other day to determine status of the 705 and asked the question about how the edge could determine speed indoors with my rollers. That was the reason for supplying the magnet for the rear wheel they told me.

By the way, the 705 is in route to all distribution centers... so they say.

Blue Jays
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
terrytnt, so what Garmin essentially told you is that their current technology really only uses the magnet as a "failsafe" or for indoor use while the "primary" speed/average speed/odometer data is really pulled off the satellite?

That is awesome if their confidence level is that high in the accuracy of the data received off the satellite. :beer:

jasond
03-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I just contacted Garmin the other day to determine status of the 705 and asked the question about how the edge could determine speed indoors with my rollers. That was the reason for supplying the magnet for the rear wheel they told me.

By the way, the 705 is in route to all distribution centers... so they say.

I bought my 705 from REI, received it in three days. Very nice unit. If you join as an REI membership you can get 10% back in Feb 09.

Blue Jays
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
jasond, so what are your initial impressions in terms of screen quality, legibility, battery life, and things like that on the 705 unit? You might not have owned it long enough to have formed any real opinions yet, huh? :D

Michael Maddox
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
On the Edge 305, if the computer is reading both the GPS and the magnet it gives you a "3D" on the display. I use it for the Cadence function (one sensor reads cadence mag on crank arm and speed mag on rear wheel).

hope this helps,

shaner

Um...I was under the impression that "3D" usually indicates a good enough satellite fix to render 3D positioning. In other words, vertical displacement as well as horizontal. That's what it USUALLY means in GPS terminology.

shanerpvt
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Um...I was under the impression that "3D" usually indicates a good enough satellite fix to render 3D positioning. In other words, vertical displacement as well as horizontal. That's what it USUALLY means in GPS terminology.

i don't know much about "3D" or GPS terminology, but it seems like when my 305 isn't reading the cadence/speed sensor it doesn't display the "3D". perhaps it was just a coincidence or i jumped to a conclusion.

either way i use the sensor for the cadence feature.

:beer:
shaner

jasond
03-06-2008, 09:21 PM
jasond, so what are your initial impressions in terms of screen quality, legibility, battery life, and things like that on the 705 unit? You might not have owned it long enough to have formed any real opinions yet, huh? :D

You're absolutely right, I've had the unit just over 24 hours now. I went out for a ride today during lunch so it was a short 12 miler. Initially, I'm impressed with it. I bought the 705 so I could eventually buy a power unit that would be compatible.

I think the Garmin Training Center software could be better but what do you want for free.

They say the battery last for 15 hours, I currently have the unit on so I can drain the battery and recharge fully. Apparently if the battery indicator does not appear to be accurate then Garmin recommends you drain the battery fully and then recharge. When I fully charged the battery last night the indicator was showing it was just under half. The only reason I know it was fully charged is when I plugged the unit in it would just show a "plug" and not a blue lightning bolt and battery. BTW, it is taking quit a while to drain, especially when it's not really doing anything.

The city map seems congested with street names and sort of tough to read if you're riding. Fairly sure I'll only use the map when I have no idea where I'm going.

Being able to choose the amount of data fields and customize what you see in those data field is very nice. However you could get carried away and choose to see all eight data fields and then get caught looking at them to long while riding. May want to keep this screen to the bare minimum

The buttons are well placed and I find the unit to be easier to use while riding. Just don't fiddle to much while riding.

It has some cool training features that I have yet to explore like interval training and virtual partner.

This is the first Garmin unit I've owned so I'm still learning what it can do. Hope this helps.

J

Joe
03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
J -
If you didn't already know, the Motion Based forum website http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php#5
has forums for a variety of the Garmin units, and might be helpful if you have other questions about your 705.

Joe

1centaur
03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
As I recall, I get 3D on my 305 and I don't have the magnet on most of those bikes, so I think the magnet is not relevant.

shanerpvt
03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
As I recall, I get 3D on my 305 and I don't have the magnet on most of those bikes, so I think the magnet is not relevant.

that's why i hang here.....to learn more about bike chit.

thanks to all,

shaner

saab2000
03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Is the 705 bigger or smaller than the other units?

One of the slight turnoffs of the 305 for me was the relatively bulky size. That is somewhat offset by the fact that there is no other hardware and frankly could just be carried in my pocket. But I wouldn't mind it if they came out with a smaller unit with just the basics. Of course, more size is more acceptable with all the functions.

Riding with a GPS could be very useful in Europe where roads can be much more confusing based just on the number of curves, etc.

jasond
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
J -
If you didn't already know, the Motion Based forum website http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php#5
has forums for a variety of the Garmin units, and might be helpful if you have other questions about your 705.

Joe

Thanks for that link, I had no idea. Here's a quick report from Garmins "My Connect" http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26662

Blue Jays
03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
saab2000, there is a slight difference in overall size plus display size:

GARMIN 305:
Overall Garmin 305: 1.75" x 3.70" x 0.90" (44mm x 94mm x 23mm)
Display only: 1.17" x 1.44"http://www.geomangear.com/images/Edge305CAD.jpg
GARMIN 705:
Overall Garmin 705: 2.00" x 4.30" x 1.00" (51mm x 109mm x 25mm)
Display only: 1.37" x 1.71"http://www.geomangear.com/images/705front.jpg

vaxn8r
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Are you saying 3D as in altitude? I believe the 305 uses a pressure altimeter. It's more accurate than GPS altimeter.

Orin
03-06-2008, 10:14 PM

One of the slight turnoffs of the 305 for me was the relatively bulky size. That is somewhat offset by the fact that there is no other hardware and frankly could just be carried in my pocket. But I wouldn't mind it if they came out with a smaller unit with just the basics. Of course, more size is more acceptable with all the functions.

Well, you have a tradeoff between unit size and screen size/readability. I think I'd rather have a bigger screen/better resolution therefore bigger unit myself...

Not a bad idea to carry it in your pocket, but if you do, forget about the Edge series unless you really want HR/Power/Cadence functions... There are many options for mapping GPS units aimed at much larger markets. I got good results carrying a basic Garmin eTrex in one of my jersey pockets, but that's not a mapping unit of course.

Orin.

jasond
03-06-2008, 10:18 PM

One of the slight turnoffs of the 305 for me was the relatively bulky size.

The 705 dimensions are 2" x 4.3" x 1" and the 305 is 1.75" x 3.7" x 0.9". So it's slightly larger. The screen is also slightly larger and it weighs a little more. The bulky size is the only thing I dislike but the offset for me is I can use the unit for multiple purposes like, Mt biking, road riding, hiking, snowshoeing, and you could even use it in the car if you had too (I don't suggest it though). I also wanted the ability to upgrade to a power unit some day and this was the only unit that would allow for me to choose a third party power unit. Unlike polar where I would have to buy their power unit. It also seems like they make their power units work with a specific computer, makes it tough to upgrade to the new power unit when they finally and inevitable come out with a new one.

Orin
03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
jasond, it's my plan to use a Garmin without the "sender" mounted on the chainstay or magnet on the spokes. Most of the people with whom I've spoken who own this device say it's plenty accurate using GPS only. Some of them use it on multiple bicycles where some bikes have the magnets and others don't. In real-world practice, the data is VERY close. The only exception appears to be when under very heavy tree cover on mountainbikes. For roadbikes, it appears we're golden! :)

They had better have improved the speed algorithm over the Edge 205 as all it took was a certain tree lined road for the speed to drop out (although it doesn't tell you, it just keeps displaying the last speed it was happy with). I certainly wouldn't use it to try to pace myself.

Orin.

jasond
03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Are you saying 3D as in altitude? I believe the 305 uses a pressure altimeter. It's more accurate than GPS altimeter.

I pulled this from the manual. 3D Icon means: Satellite icon changes from blank to 3D when receiving satellite signals.

J

jasond
03-06-2008, 10:25 PM
They had better have improved the speed algorithm over the Edge 205 as all it took was a certain tree lined road for the speed to drop out (although it doesn't tell you, it just keeps displaying the last speed it was happy with). I certainly wouldn't use it to try to pace myself.

Orin.

I honestly get a good signal inside my house. Now I couldn't tell you if the speedometer works while inside my house but I do get a strong signal.

Orin
03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
The 705 dimensions are 2" x 4.3" x 1" and the 305 is 1.75" x 3.7" x 0.9". So it's slightly larger. The screen is also slightly larger and it weighs a little more. The bulky size is the only thing I dislike but the offset for me is I can use the unit for multiple purposes like, Mt biking, road riding, hiking, snowshoeing, and you could even use it in the car if you had too (I don't suggest it though). I also wanted the ability to upgrade to a power unit some day and this was the only unit that would allow for me to choose a third party power unit. Unlike polar where I would have to buy their power unit. It also seems like they make their power units work with a specific computer, makes it tough to upgrade to the new power unit when they finally and inevitable come out with a new one.

Yes, that's irritating as they all are using the same wireless chips from Nordic. Garmin bought the company that is producing the ANT+Sport protocol that the Edge 305/705 use. Those that got in earlier rolled their own protocol (Polar and Powertap) so even though hardware wise, they could probably all talk to each other, they don't.

Orin.

Orin
03-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I honestly get a good signal inside my house. Now I couldn't tell you if the speedometer works while inside my house but I do get a strong signal.

Mine will find satellites indoors, but not many. I wonder if they've updated the firmware (again).

Orin.

TriJim
03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Anyone with a Garmin (Edge, Forerunner, etc) should try SportTracks (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/). It beats the heck out of Training Center; easy to use, great maps, and free. :beer:

onekgguy
03-07-2008, 10:21 AM
It's not likely you'll see the unit get any smaller. I think the battery plays the biggest role in determining the size of the unit. Garmin got some heat for the lack of run time with the Edge 305 as it fell a little short in that area for people doing doubles. I was able to get around that with a spare battery unit in my seatbag for the times I needed it.

Kevin g

Blue Jays
03-07-2008, 11:43 PM

GARMIN 305:
Overall Garmin 305: 1.75" x 3.70" x 0.90" (44mm x 94mm x 23mm)
Display only: 1.17" x 1.44"http://www.geomangear.com/images/Edge305CAD.jpg
GARMIN 705:
Overall Garmin 705: 2.00" x 4.30" x 1.00" (51mm x 109mm x 25mm)
Display only: 1.37" x 1.71"http://www.geomangear.com/images/705front.jpg
By the way, this is almost exactly the same dimensions as the ubiquitous and painfully useless Palm Treo 700WX converged device. Hold one against your handlebars/stem to get a rough idea of how the Garmin device would appear.
This phone is slightly thinner and the display is slightly bigger than the new Garmin unit. Even though it's not a telephone, the Garmin still probably functions better as a phone with fewer dropped calls. ;)

http://www.phonearea.net/wp-content/themes/default/pictures/palm/2007/palm_treo_700wx.jpg