PDA

View Full Version : Nuovo Record dr question

trophyoftexas
03-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I want to use an IRD 13-28 seven speed freewheel on a build I'm working on...have planned on using either a Nuovo Record or a Super Record rear dr but have started wondering if either of these will have the necessary range to use with that 28 tooth cog....any opinions out there from Campy Land? This will be used extensively in the Hill Country and with a standard 53-39 front chain ring combo so I'd really like to make use of the 28 cog. I've also got a NOS Rally that I know will handle that size cog but would prefer to use it eventually on a McLean that I'm building. Help me Campagnolo guys!

michael white
03-06-2008, 05:43 PM
hey,
that's not a good idea.
nr and sr derailleurs do not wrap enough chain to work on that setup. Maybe, and I say MAYBE, you could do it with a 42/52 front. But I sure wouldn't try.

those gears would be pushing it with any new short-cage rd, much less an old one.

best,
mw

Peter P.
03-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Derailleur Capacities

Nuovo Record Model 1020/A: Max Rear Cog 26T
Super Record 4001 : 28T

This all assumes a distance from the hub axle to the derailleur mounting bolt of 24mm.

I couldn't find a total chain wrap capacity spec. (front+rear) for these derailleurs.

palincss
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I want to use an IRD 13-28 seven speed freewheel on a build I'm working on...have planned on using either a Nuovo Record or a Super Record rear dr but have started wondering if either of these will have the necessary range to use with that 28 tooth cog....any opinions out there from Campy Land? This will be used extensively in the Hill Country and with a standard 53-39 front chain ring combo so I'd really like to make use of the 28 cog. I've also got a NOS Rally that I know will handle that size cog but would prefer to use it eventually on a McLean that I'm building. Help me Campagnolo guys!

Does it have to be Campagnolo? The best shifting derailleur on a wide range freewheel I ever tried back in that era was a SunTour VGT Luxe. Some of the early Shimanos - Crane GS, for example - were also very nice. I recently had a chance to try a Simplex 440 and it shifted just wonderfully.

coylifut
03-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I've used a 28t freewheel with a Nouvo Record rear without problem. Your experience may differ.

Ken Robb
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
my Stelvio has all NR gruppo with Sunrace 14-28 7 speed cassette and it works fine even when the dumb rider cross-chains. :rolleyes: .

michael white
03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
right, that's the 42-52 crankset, though.

and the 14-28 freewheel. You can't just go on max cog.

trophyoftexas
03-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks to all that answered this question, it's been a big help and I'll post back as to what my final choice and results are.

sspielman
03-07-2008, 06:31 AM
It will depend a lot on the dropout of the frame...and the wheel's position in the dropout....With horizontal dropouts, you may be able to finagle the wheel to make it work....that and some fine-tuning of chain length. You could also find a wrecked Super Record and swap out the pulley cage. the SR had the pivot mounting a little offset to increase the chain wrap capacity a little (but it hurt the shifting, ATMO) 28 teeth is pressing it with a 14 t difference up front....

chrisroph
03-07-2008, 11:19 AM
won't work

trophyoftexas
03-07-2008, 07:01 PM
....at Richardson Bike Mart, he's been in the business for over 40 years and I've done pretty well trusting him up to this point, don't see any reason to stop. He said that a 28 will work just fine with a NR rear dr but won't allow you to go "big big" which I don't do anyway....I'll still report back with findings, thanks again to all that have responded!