PDA

View Full Version : OT: Loss of Love...family

Dave B
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I do not know if it is appropriate to share this hear, but many of you have become my e-friends and seeing how I deal terribly with loss I am going to share anyway.

Yesterday my wife walked into my classroom (she works here too) and shared with me that her grandfather had passed away after 18 hours of being taken off of life support.

Last week he went in for heart surgery (angio-plasty..sp???) He developed a bleed into his stomach and then began to suffer heart failure.

I guess losing a family member is difficult enough, but over the last 7 years of kowing him I fell in love with a man who was as opinionated as he was kind. He was a liberal to a fault, born and raised in boston and besides me the only other die hard Red Sox fan in the family.

Words do not express adaquatly the loss this world has suffered now that he is gone. He was just an amazing and positive man. I grew to love him as my own grand father and he confided in me often as a grandson.

I know many of you have lost or will lose your elders some day. I guess this is the first time as a semi-adult I have lost some one. I think about the up coming sox season and the election and have to realize that he is not here with me to share that.

I bet many of you have moments that mean the world to you regarding friends and family. Cherish those and maybe give them a little tighter hug tonight.

I don't know much, but I miss him terribly!

Blue Jays
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Very unfortunate news. :(

e-RICHIE
03-06-2008, 12:58 PM
trite - but the parade ends up in the same place atmo.
we'll all see the guy again somedaymo.

you take care.

1centaur
03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Honor him by being that man to somebody else.

Time dulls all wounds, but the world still feels odd without my father seven years after the fact. I started cycling again after he died, partially as a way of reinvigorating my existence. Being reminded of our mortality can be very valuable.

BUTCH RIDES
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Kiss your wife he lives there and in your heart
bye

roman meal
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
My heart goes out to you. My wife lost her father when she was 10, and when my father died six years ago, she asked me "if you could add to his life, how many extra days would be enough? " It remains one of the truest questions I've ever heard.

There is never enough of this love. You are temporarily separated, but never far from each other, I know that now with more certainly than sunrises and sunsets.

OtayBW
03-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry for your loss.
Don't know if this is your cup of tea or not, but here's one perspective for you:

All composite things are like a dream,
Like a fantasy, a bubble, and a shadow –
Are like a dewdrop and a flash of lightening.
They are thus to be regarded.

Kevan
03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
when they round that corner and never return.

sorry Prez

Erik.Lazdins
03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Death serves as a reminder to live well

Honor the memory and impact of those you have lost by living well yourself

Be there for your family

I am sorry to read of your loss - all my best - E

Hardlyrob
03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Sorry for your loss Prez.

I think 1 Centaur hit it on the head..."Honor him by being that man to somebody else"

Rob

paulandmonster
03-06-2008, 01:49 PM
my mom always says of my brother at least we had him for 36 years many didnt.

Ginger
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Strength to your family.

Mary Ann

davids
03-06-2008, 01:58 PM
My deep sympathies and condolences. Your loss is real, and there's no easy way to deal with the pain and mystery of losing a loved one.

Here's the truest thing I know about this man: He will live on in the lives of those he touched, you among them.

David Kirk
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
I feel your pain.

thanks for sharing this. I know it must have been hard.

dave

swoop
03-06-2008, 02:15 PM
read this:

'who dies' by stephen and ondrea levine...
it will help.

stevep
03-06-2008, 03:28 PM
sorry to hear prez.
some good advice from yr friends around the world

MarleyMon
03-06-2008, 03:36 PM
My condolences for this loss to you and your family.

William
03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Very sorry to her of his passing. Please accept our condolences.

William

fungusamungus33
03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tIyt8oSLVs

So sorry for your loss. My wife's grandfather is current fighting the battle for his life.

Live every moment to the fullest...it's all we can do.

Ahneida Ride
03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Mr. President ...

God Bless .... My prayers are with you ...

Len J
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Look around you at the people he touched.......look closely & you will see him......he exists in those he loved & that loved him.

He is in you too.

Pain is the cost of caring....and worth every minute of it.

Len

jghall
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
As with the many others here, sorry to hear of your loss(and wife's) loss Pres.

Though I do not always abide by it, a smart man told me several years ago;

"try not to be the person who first let's go from a hug"

Condolences,
Jeff

Jeff Weir
03-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Pres,

Very sorry to hear about your loss. He will be waiting on the other side of the door for you.

Jeff

Smiley
03-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Our deepest condolences

MRB
03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Mr. Pres,

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I know it is difficult to loose someone. Remember the good years, when he was with you. You'll see him again.

John

ti_boi
03-06-2008, 05:39 PM
“Everything is changeable, everything appears and disappears; there is no blissful peace until one passes beyond the agony of life and death.”

Buddha quotes (Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.)

steelrider
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
After good health, nothing is as important as friends and family. It is times like this when you should seek the company of both. By all means keep this man alive in your thoughts and don't forget to smile when you remember the good times you spent with him.

majorpat
03-06-2008, 07:07 PM
e-Richie said it, the parade ends in the same place.

Wrap me up in me oilskin and blankets
No more on the docks I'll be seen
Just tell me old shipmates, I'm taking a trip mates
And I'll see you someday on Fiddler's Green

DonH
03-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

chuckroast
03-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Sorry for your loss. Best wishes to you and your bride.

ti_boi
03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
One of my favorites:

Lester Burnham: [narrating] I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars... And yellow leaves, from the maple trees, that lined my street... Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper... And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird... And Janie... And Janie... And... Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday.

hansolo758
03-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Mr. Prez......

My condolences. I lost my mother 10 years ago. It takes a long time to overcome the pain. Go easy on yourself when you aren't your usual self. If your family understands that, well then that's more than half the battle and consider yourself blessed.

mflaherty37
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Thats too bad indeed. My dad died 15 years ago when I was 20. I still try to do what he would have liked.

Sandy
03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I do not know if it is appropriate to share this hear, but many of you have become my e-friends and seeing how I deal terribly with loss I am going to share anyway.

Yesterday my wife walked into my classroom (she works here too) and shared with me that her grandfather had passed away after 18 hours of being taken off of life support.

Last week he went in for heart surgery (angio-plasty..sp???) He developed a bleed into his stomach and then began to suffer heart failure.

I guess losing a family member is difficult enough, but over the last 7 years of kowing him I fell in love with a man who was as opinionated as he was kind. He was a liberal to a fault, born and raised in boston and besides me the only other die hard Red Sox fan in the family.

Words do not express adaquatly the loss this world has suffered now that he is gone. He was just an amazing and positive man. I grew to love him as my own grand father and he confided in me often as a grandson.

I know many of you have lost or will lose your elders some day. I guess this is the first time as a semi-adult I have lost some one. I think about the up coming sox season and the election and have to realize that he is not here with me to share that.

I bet many of you have moments that mean the world to you regarding friends and family. Cherish those and maybe give them a little tighter hug tonight.

I don't know much, but I miss him terribly!

Mr. President- You are most fortunate- You found him opinionated and liberal to a fault but simultaneously you felt his kindness and realized he was an amazing and positive man. Clearly his virtues made you love him deeply. You loved him as a grandfather and he confided in you as a grandson. Obviously, there existed a relationship of love and mutual respect for one another.

You were indeed fortunate that you shared communication, love, and genuine feeling. What else could one ask for?....just think of him during the Red Sox games next year and what you truly shared together....some of us seldom share that with others....

Sandy

jmeloy
03-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Mr. P,
Lost my Dad on christmas eve just over 2 months ago. It does get easier bit by bit. Lean on those around you.
JAM

guyintense
03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
I am not there. I did not die.

soulspinner
03-08-2008, 06:42 AM
trite - but the parade ends up in the same place atmo.
we'll all see the guy again somedaymo.

you take care.

+1- I too think this is the way it is. Continue his positive spirit to remember and perpetuate him.