PDA

View Full Version : New tires and release compound

CarbonCycles
03-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Folks,

Quick question on how you guys take care of this little problem with new tires. With new tires, the manufacturer typically has some release compound coating the surface of the tire. This release compound is usually pretty slick and squishy; therefore, it makes the first dozen miles somewhat sketchy for hard riding. So how do you typically scrub away the release compound for new tires?

dave thompson
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Ride.

stevep
03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
i ride too. 30 miles or so.
you can run a single edge razor blade over the surface of the tire and get it off pretty quickly if you really wanted to.

CarbonCycles
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Well riding carefully would be the obvious answer, but after having a wipeout due to the release compound, I'd rather remove it completely before heading out.

Ozz
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
...having a wipeout due to the release compound....
really? :rolleyes: ;)

what kind of tires do you use?

Frankly, I have never heard of this being a problem before....if there are gobs of squishy release compound on your tires, I think the "riding carefully" part is what is important.... :)

Brian Smith
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Folks,

Quick question on how you guys take care of this little problem with new tires. With new tires, the manufacturer typically has some release compound coating the surface of the tire. This release compound is usually pretty slick and squishy; therefore, it makes the first dozen miles somewhat sketchy for hard riding. So how do you typically scrub away the release compound for new tires?

Lots of solo tight circles and weaving in the neighborhood, leaning over at low speeds, doing things you would never do at speed or in a group, adjust your rear derailer barrel adjuster while turning a circle with the other hand... just dumb stuff like that to keep your mind occupied while you're wasting time going in circles. The center and near-center portions of the tread are going to lose their mold release in a dozen miles of normal riding, it's the more and most outward portions of the tread that you'll ever use that would keep the mold release long enough for you to forget about your new tires being on the bike.

That all said, the difference between the traction of good-to-go tires and that of newly installed tires, atmo, is more apparent than real. Sure they do make more noise and slide more easily, but I have decent luck just riding them until the mold release is gone, staying semi-mindful of their condition.

Were you looking for some kind of product recommendation with which to scrub new tires?

swoop
03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
its just talcy/waxy stuff... a quick rub with a scotch brite pad if you must??

avalonracing
03-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Get a good heat cycle going like we do on motorcycles. A good hard pedal at 80mph should do it.