PDA

View Full Version : FMB tubulars

caleb
03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.fm-boyaux.fr/

We now know they've replaced Dugast on the top cyclocross shelf.

Are their road offerings also good?

If so, is anyone importing them to the US?

If there isn't an importer, can I order direct (and, can I write in English, or do I need to recruit a French-speaking friend)?

http://www.fm-boyaux.fr/images/PA100044.jpg

merckx
03-06-2008, 06:11 AM
PM Zank.

roman meal
03-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Ditto on Zank. Or, have stevep fill out the form in French. The last time he did, I got six latex blow-up dolls from the Moulin Rouge.

stevep
03-06-2008, 07:45 AM
six?
you only paid for 5.

Ditto on Zank. Or, have stevep fill out the form in French. The last time he did, I got six latex blow-up dolls from the Moulin Rouge.

chrisroph
03-06-2008, 11:19 AM
zank is not doing the fmb thing this year. i'd try molly cameron.

roman meal
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
zank is not doing the fmb thing this year. i'd try molly cameron.

I'd pm Zank.

chrisroph
03-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I'd pm Zank.

"Folks,
I'm sorry, but I am going to have to hold off on this for now.

On top of that, I am keen to see the new treads from Challenge before
plunkin' down the dough for FMBs.

I'll be in touch. If it looks like the Challenge stuff turns out to be just
a pipe dream, we will do the order.

Especially sorry to the guys who wanted road tubulars!

zank

Mike Zanconato
Zanconato Custom Cycles
508-713-3518
www.zanconato.com
bikesbyzank.blogspot.com"

stackie
03-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I tried to contact Molly Cameron re the FMB road tubulars. Twice. Received no response.

I'd be surprised to have anyone say anything very positive about Challenge tires. I tried two batches of three from Yellow Jersey. They ride poorly, somewhat lumpy, and flat more easily than any tire I have EVER used. The Veloflex Criterium way outperforms the Challenge Paris-Roubaix in every aspect. I just wish Veloflex made the Roubaix in a gumwall.

I just gave up and ordered a bunch of Veloflex tires from Danny at CritUSA. Half Roubaix and half Criterium.

Jon

zank
03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Gang, Francois is a pleasure to work with directly. He is very responsive and the language barrier has not been a problem. I did a couple of group orders last year as a service to the group, but it really was painless. Just be prepared for the cost of the wire transfer and shipping from France. Better yet, get a few of your friends to get in on it with you and share the transfer and shipping costs. I would try Molly first though.

I needed to hold off on a spring order because I don't have the cash to buy the tubulars I want. And as Chris posted above, there was talk at NAHBS about Challenge MAYBE putting out a couple of more aggro treads for next season. I want to see those (if they come to be) before getting Mud 2s mounted on FMB Coton+ casings.

tubulars = crack

Just ask coylifut

coylifut
03-06-2008, 04:46 PM
tubulars = crack

Just ask coylifut

7 sets and growing for me. where does it end?

zank
03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Tufos are a gateway drug.

SpeedyChix
03-06-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm hooked and it got bad in a hurry. But wow!

The other half in the house has noticed the sudden increase in wheels, all tubular, all cx.

Share the addiction.

shinomaster
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
7 sets and growing for me. where does it end?

You need to either turn pro or give some to me. :banana:

sspielman
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
World Class Cycles is listing a pretty good range......

jerk
03-06-2008, 08:24 PM
http://www.fm-boyaux.fr/

We now know they've replaced Dugast on the top cyclocross shelf.

Are their road offerings also good?

If so, is anyone importing them to the US?

If there isn't an importer, can I order direct (and, can I write in English, or do I need to recruit a French-speaking friend)?

http://www.fm-boyaux.fr/images/PA100044.jpg

you want awesome cheap road tubulars that ride as good as a cotton fmb and nearly as nice as a silk? get some conti stehers. trust me on this one.

jerk

roman meal
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
you want awesome cheap road tubulars that ride as good as a cotton fmb and nearly as nice as a silk? get some conti stehers. trust me on this one.

jerk

Really.. (twists mustache)..

jerk
03-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Really.. (twists mustache)..

yup. i ride'em everyday and their better than an fbm or dugast cotton.

super tough tire....really, really round. basically a sonderklasse made for stayer racing so they have an extra ply and a bit more tread. won't last forever but who cares. awesome brownish/tan sidewalls too. you can inflate the piss out of them too and they ride great. lots of pro teams use these things when the race really matters...team tulip did a whole tour on'em with no flats.

jerk

e-RICHIE
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
team tulip did a whole tour on'em with no flats.

jerk
that's a value act in my bookmo.

aLexis
03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
that's a value act in my bookmo.

egad! what have we started?

03-06-2008, 11:11 PM

super tough tire....really, really round. basically a sonderklasse made for stayer racing so they have an extra ply and a bit more tread. won't last forever but who cares. awesome brownish/tan sidewalls too. you can inflate the piss out of them too and they ride great. lots of pro teams use these things when the race really matters...team tulip did a whole tour on'em with no flats.

jerk

Yup. I was using them as training tires on the track for a couple years, and just had to put one on my winter fixie one day. It never came off, the other wheel joined it, and now there's about 2200 km of winter riding on the pair without problems. They are definitely tough, extremely comfortable, and have great road adhesion and roll fast. There isn't an anti-puncture strip under the tread, but I've had better luck with them (and find the quality a lot higher) compared to Sprinters. Nice tires. MSRP is $50; I normally get them for a bit under $45 -- can't beat it.

If you have to spend dollars and it has to be spent on tires, get FMBs. But frankly, these are the equal and perhaps better for road. I like nice tires and nice bikes, which too often means the more expensive stuff. But not here.

Jack Brunk
03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Yup. I was using them as training tires on the track for a couple years, and just had to put one on my winter fixie one day. It never came off, the other wheel joined it, and now there's about 2200 km of winter riding on the pair without problems. They are definitely tough, extremely comfortable, and have great road adhesion and roll fast. There isn't an anti-puncture strip under the tread, but I've had better luck with them (and find the quality a lot higher) compared to Sprinters. Nice tires. MSRP is $50; I normally get them for a bit under $45 -- can't beat it.

If you have to spend dollars and it has to be spent on tires, get FMBs. But frankly, these are the equal and perhaps better for road. I like nice tires and nice bikes, which too often means the more expensive stuff. But not here.
Lane,

I hope they look better than the Conti Olympic's you sent me. They may be the worst looking track tires out there. I hope I don't get too crap for them.

03-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Lane,

I hope they look better than the Conti Olympic's you sent me. They may be the worst looking track tires out there. I hope I don't get too crap for them.

Conti Olympics and Vittoria Evo Paves are great tires from the hands of colorblind tubular tire designers. The Paves are a green that don't match anything in the known universe (except a pair of 1970s polyester pants) and the Olympics are a light hot orange the color of some awful hospital pudding. Great tires both, but not the colors for publicity shots of bikes. Heck, you could be riding Dugast pinks -- they got THAT name for a reason.

Jack, as consolation, note that the tires will dirty up within two laps of ADT and nobody will notice any longer. I ride them on both a pearl white and gold Spectrum (the orange goes really well with a fine metallic gold) and a bare black carbon BT. Nobody notices them except the first time you carry your bike into the infield.

Climb01742
03-07-2008, 04:22 AM

jerk

senor, do you glue 'em or tape 'em?