PDA

View Full Version : Ice Storm

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 03:25 PM
It's amazing how much damage frozen water can do. This storm took down half of our favorite dogwood, and a ton of other trees in the neighborhood.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z311/jhcakilmer/ice4.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z311/jhcakilmer/ice2.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z311/jhcakilmer/ice1.jpg

gt6267a
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
beautiful.

Kevan
03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Winter.... give me a "S!" (answer back)...give me a "U!" (answer back)...give me a "C!" (answer back)...give me a "K!" (answer back)...give me a "S!" (answer back)...

What's that spell?! (answer back loudly!)...What's that spell?!!! (answer back even louder!)...)...Winter what?! (answer back loud!)

Thank you.

Ken Robb
03-05-2008, 03:51 PM
68F--rode for ahi tacos yesterday with a 60ish re-entry rider who borrowed my MB3. Winter's not so bad. :)

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
68F--rode for ahi tacos yesterday with a 60ish re-entry rider who borrowed my MB3. Winter's not so bad. :)

yeah, yeah don't rub it in! I don't think I'd want to be there mid-july though.

roman meal
03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I always fear that some of the trees I'm accustomed to will be taken down like that. Usually I fear Stevep with a chainsaw.

There's nothing you can do about it. It's Nature's way. Plant a new one in the Spring, and things will look really green soon.

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 04:11 PM
I always fear that some of the trees I'm accustomed to will be taken down like that. Usually I fear Stevep with a chainsaw.

There's nothing you can do about it. It's Nature's way. Plant a new one in the Spring, and things will look really green soon.

we're debating what we should do. The Dogwood had several trunks, and one of the main sections came down, so thinking either take the rest of it down, and start a new, or leave it. It actually is dying, but we were hoping it would of held on until we sell the house in a couple years. It added value to the house, or at the very least curb-appeal! I'm really holding my breath that nothing serious happens to the Maple in our front yard!!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z311/jhcakilmer/tree.jpg

roman meal
03-05-2008, 04:18 PM
we're debating what we should do. The Dogwood had several trunks, and one of the main sections came down, so thinking either take the rest of it down, and start a new, or leave it. It actually is dying, but we were hoping it would of held on until we sell the house in a couple years. It added value to the house, or at the very least curb-appeal! I'm really holding my breath that nothing serious happens to the Maple in our front yard!!

Wow, what a beautiful house and yard.

Save the maple at all costs. Get a new dogwood.

johnnymossville
03-05-2008, 04:22 PM

That is a beauty of a house. Like he said, save the maple.

stevep
03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
beautiful tree.
i love those trees.

if you lost 1/2 the dogwood its probably toast.

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow, what a beautiful house and yard.

Save the maple at all costs. Get a new dogwood.

Thanks, we like it. We've never lived in town, but it's nice when you have young kids....lots of playmates, and the price was right! Our mortgage is less than if we rented.

Plus, we have this nice greenway across from the house, and hiking trails are only a couple miles away. Also we live about 1/2 mile from the local zoo, and in the summer we can hear the male lion.

It's our first house, and we've done quite a bit of work on the house...fence, landscaping, remodeling.....I'm already tired of it, probably since I do all the work.... :D

thwart
03-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Aaah... the anti-suburbia house and yard.

Beautiful. Hope that maple wasn't affected. Thanks for sharing those images.

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I believe it's a Japanese Maple, and one of the largest ones I've ever seen. The leaf looks the part, and I've compared it with several sources.

We just planted the yellow Katsura tree (this past year) in the corner, hope that made it too, trees aren't cheap!

saab2000
03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I flew in that weather yesterday. 'Twas interesting.

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 05:17 PM
I flew in that weather yesterday. 'Twas interesting.

I'm sure!! Better you than me!

saab2000
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm sure!! Better you than me!

Not that bad. If it's not safe, you don't go. End of story.

The only thing I fear are thunderstorms and we missed those in Norfolk yesterday. All's well that ends well.

Erik.Lazdins
03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the trees - ice storms can do a lot of damage. What looks like rain one moment can turn into a very bad situation in a few hours.

We lost a 40ft oak in our ice storm in mid December. The city is still clearing out the debris in Tulsa and surrounding areas. There are enormous piles of greenwaste taking up many acres - all the damage was done in less than 24 hours.

Louis
03-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Be happy that you didn't loose power for over a week.

Late last winter we had a monster ice storm over a few day and tens of thousands of folks lost power due to downed trees. A very large percentage of those had no power for several days, some for over a week. I got lucky - it was out for only a few hours, but would have been totally in trouble because I am all electric, include needing it for the well pump for water...

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Be happy that you didn't loose power for over a week.

Late last winter we had a monster ice storm over a few day and tens of thousands of folks lost power due to downed trees. A very large percentage of those had no power for several days, some for over a week. I got lucky - it was out for only a few hours, but would have been totally in trouble because I am all electric, include needing it for the well pump for water...

Funny you mention this, we actually had a storm earlier in the year, that took down power to much of the city. One tree took down the lines down to our block, and we didn't have any service for 3 days, but finally they came and cleared the tree, and re-connected us. Then literally 4 hours later another tree (actually an adjoining tree) took down the same line, so we lost power for another 3 days. That was a lot of fun!!

We had two neighboring families that came over and stayed with us, since they didn't have any heat. I'm just really glad I installed that wood stove insert....it keeps us toasty warm, power, or no power!

roman meal
03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Funny you mention this, we actually had a storm earlier in the year, that took down power to much of the city. One tree took down the lines down to our block, and we didn't have any service for 3 days, but they came and cleared the tree, and re-connected us. Then literally 4 hours later another tree (actually an adjoining tree) took down the same line, so we lost power for another 3 days. That was a lot of fun!!

We had two neighboring families that came over and stayed with us, since they didn't have any heat. I'm just really glad I installed that wood stove insert....it keeps us toasty warm, power, or no power!

We may use our tax refund for a dedicated generator, the big ones they put on a concrete slab. Of course when we get one, the power will never go out again.

Louis
03-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm just really glad I installed that wood stove insert....it keeps us toasty warm, power, or no power!

I'm thinking of getting a wood stove for just that reason. Only problem is, how do you get the heat distributed throughout the house? I would be primarily concerned about the pipes freezing, even if the living room and kitchen are a toasty 85*

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 07:29 PM
We may use our tax refund for a dedicated generator, the big ones they put on a concrete slab. Of course when we get one, the power will never go out again.

That's a great ideal. My wife has pushed be to look into that, and now can see the need for it.

How big is the one your looking at?

I just don't know where I'd put it, we don't have a lot of extra room.

roman meal
03-05-2008, 07:35 PM
That's a great ideal. My wife has pushed be to look into that, and now can see the need for it.

How big is the one your looking at?

I just don't know where I'd put it, we don't have a lot of extra room.

Some room is needed. The issue is that the thing needs to "exercise" every week or so, so the thing will fire up at a pre-programmed time. If it's close to the neighbor's deck when they are out there grilling, well you get the picture.

That, and the big propane tank if you don't have access to natural gas.

The propane tank can be buried, though.

We don't need a big one, just the well/boiler/ fridge, lights, etc. I can't imagine running air conditioning on one, but it doesn't get too hot up here for long in the Summer.

http://www.generac.com/Products/Residential/AirCooled/10KW.aspx

jhcakilmer
03-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm thinking of getting a wood stove for just that reason. Only problem is, how do you get the heat distributed throughout the house? I would be primarily concerned about the pipes freezing, even if the living room and kitchen are a toasty 85*

I guess it depends how big your house is, our is about 1500 sqft, and we don't have any problem.

Many of the wood-stoves, and inserts have a blower, that pushes the heated air out. Obviously that is electric, but we did fine, even when we didn't have any power. But the blower definitely distributes the air better.

We also blocked off our stair-well leading to the second level. You can open it when you want heat to go up, and close it, to heat the downstairs more evenly, and efficiently.

We did it primarily for financial reasons. Natural Gas has gotten so expensive, it's much cheaper to burn wood. We've spent $425 on wood, and we have enough for another month. After that we'll just turn on the HVAC, but most of the winter will be over (crossing fingers).

Plus, the heat quality doesn't compare. The forced air systems are expensive to run, even at low temps, and don't heat as evenly. The wood heat just feels more comforting, and just plan warmer. I personally like the smell also, but that's partly psychological, since I grew up with it.

The wood is messy, and not as convenient as flipping a switch, but considering we were spending upwards of $300/month last year, I'll take the mess, and extra work. We actually just keep a vacuum upstairs, so after I bring in, and stack the wood, we just clean up the debris.

Ken Robb
03-06-2008, 12:26 AM
yeah, yeah don't rub it in! I don't think I'd want to be there mid-july though.
yeah, when we have a heat wave near the beach it can get into the low 80's during August. :beer:

Elefantino
03-06-2008, 05:37 AM
In Florida, that's called "hurricane insurance."