PDA

View Full Version : fixie commuting

flydhest
08-30-2004, 10:03 AM
After some time commuting on my Legend, I switched back today to commuting on the fixie. Man, riding a fixie is great. I didn't get to work as fast (avoided that super fast section of 16th Street), had to pay more attention, and actually worked harder, but it was worth. A bit more alert and I had a conversation with this skateboarder. If you think that those who ride fixed gears without brakes are nuts, this guy was certifiable. Over 20 mph on a hill, he goes into this massive slalom, waiting (praying) for the light to change so that he can sneak the right turn. No luck, he drops a foot, does a Fred Flintstone, still to fast, aims the board at the curb and jumps off and runs to a stop. Hmmm. After that, he and I chatted rolling down 21st Street, me obeying stop signs, him not.

Everybody: Get out on a fixie!

Kevan
08-30-2004, 10:19 AM
can totally ruin a pair of sneakers in a weekend.

Dang boarders!!! :D

Smiley
08-30-2004, 10:28 AM
I thought you were going to use the DKS to commute on big guy :banana:

Too Tall
08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Flyguy, let us know what kind of long board you end up buying :cool:

Russell
08-30-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm a recent fixie. Been riding it to the Metro station, only a couple miles. They are fun, buy I felt like a real goof the first couple times. The great thing is that I don't put any miles on my car. I bought a new car in Jan and have only 1800 miles on it so far. Should have skipped the car and bought a couple great bikes.

flydhest
08-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Smiley,

I still need to accumulate one or two more parts for the Hors. It will definitely be the winter commuter (with wide tires, fenders, and lights) but commuting by fix is so great.

TT, no board for this fella. That stuff is scary. I'll stick to lunacy where I have a delusion of control and not switch to ones where I see clearly I have none.

Russell, I know what you mean. It's a good day for me if I don't have to drive, and by that metric, I frequently have good weeks :D

Where do you metro to? Could you ride the whole way? Two and a half years ago, a colleague left DC and gave me an extra $33 farecard. I lost my wallet a month ago and the thing still had $10+ on it. I'm very spoiled, having a sub-3 mile commute and a locker room and dry cleaner at work. Almost makes up for the fact that they subsidize carpools, subsidize metro, but don't do anything for people who truly reduce congestion and pollution: cyclists and pedestrians. Go figure.

Russell
08-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Fly,

I metro to the Pentagon. Could ride via Rock Creek, but it would take me a long time, though I have never compared the time difference vs taking the train. May try that one weekend. Still, I enjoy being able to read on the Metro.

Too Tall
08-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Good news Russell. The Capitol Crescent trail will take you all the way to Silver Spring. One way I gusss it is 12 miles.

Russell
08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
i will have to look into that. i can shower at the gym, as well as have a safe place to lock up my bike. unless of course someone flies a plane into it.

Too Tall
08-31-2004, 06:47 AM
You can find the beginning of the Silver Spring Capitol Crescent trail off of Pennsylvania Ave. behind Rosemary Hill Elementary School. That part of the trail is still packed dirt and gravel.

http://bikewashington.org/trails/cct/cct.htm

Russell
08-31-2004, 12:25 PM
thanks