PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Broken carbon parts / frames

Pastashop
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Hello Everyone!

We are doing a materials science and engineering research project at the University of Michigan on materials involved in bicycle building. We are very interested in the different joining technologies, especially those involving carbon and non-carbon materials.

If you have any un-used and/or broken parts (forks, frames, stems, rims), would you be willing to contribute to this project? We will pay for shipping, and will also share our findings!

Many thanks in advance!

Ginger
03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Curious...Do you have a grant from any bike industry source that is funding the research?

Do you have an address and contact to ship to and a time frame that you'd like to have the broken stuff in your hands (and not past that date)?

Would donations of non-used items be tax deductible?

Hope you get a pile of broken/non-broken carbon ti and aluminum to look at!

(P.S. Did you contact Two wheel tango to see what they had available?)

Pastashop
03-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I am a faculty member, working with another prof and a student (who is also a bike racer) to assemble a scientifically interesting, visually appealing, and educationally useful display that goes into depth about the materials science involved in making a bicycle.

We have a bit of money available to pay for materials, parts, and analysis (the student is doing a lot of sample prep, optical and electron microscopy, diffraction, etc.), but it's more of a shoe-string budget. I donated some of my old bike parts, and we're talking to some of the bike shops.

Two-Wheel Tango is a great shop, and one of the grad students from our department actually worked there for fun (he is now a tech reporter for Cyclingnews.com). Hopefully, he will help us out a bit.

The study is purely academic - no industry involvement here at all - not yet, anyway. If you have some stuff and would like to help out (and find out some cool science), do let me know!