PDA

View Full Version : William needs a new Lid.

William
03-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Well, I’ve finally burned through my stash of prime won helmets. The last Giro really needs to be retired and I’m in the market. Since I haven’t had to buy a helmet in quite a long time, what are you folks sporting these days? What do you like about your brand/model? Anything other than Bell and Giro these days? Does it come in orange (a big plus).

Just wondering.

William

Hardlyrob
03-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Bell Sweep - I sometimes forget I have it on at the end of a ride. The Sweep XC comes in orange and silver, but has a little visor thingy - don't know if you can take it off.

Happy hunting.

Rob

fiamme red
03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
You need something that will keep your head safe in case of an enemy attack.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/83500/83761NSUR_w.jpg

bnewt07
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
How to buy a helmet....

...go to LBS. Close eyes. Try them all on. Choose the one that fits and feels nicest. Open eyes. Ask if it also comes in orange. The end.

Same applies to shoes in my opinion. Recommending a brand is no good if it is not comfy.

:)

William
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
You need something that will keep your head safe in case of an enemy attack.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/83500/83761NSUR_w.jpg

I'll be using this until I find something...

http://www.robbinssports.com/sporting-goods-store/images/everlast-boxing-classic-old-school-training-headgear.jpg

.....Recommending a brand is no good if it is not comfy.

Very true, and in the end that's what it will come down to. I was just curious what folks are buying and likeing these days.

William

TAW
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I'll second the Bell Sweep. After quite a few years of the Giro Pneumo,
I decided to try something different, and the Bell was the most
comfortable. White is the new orange.

Kevan
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
so I answered the call.

SadieKate
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
How to buy a helmet....

...go to LBS. Close eyes. Try them all on. Choose the one that fits and feels nicest. Open eyes. Ask if it also comes in orange. The end.Most excellent advice. Each brand has such a different fit. My pointy little head likes Bell Sweep. My husband's gigantic hot air balloon likes Giro. Vice versa is just misery.

davids
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
How to buy a helmet....

...go to LBS. Close eyes. Try them all on. Choose the one that fits and feels nicest. Open eyes. Ask if it also comes in orange. The end.

Same applies to shoes in my opinion. Recommending a brand is no good if it is not comfy.

:)Yep.

When I bought a new helmet in '03, I picked a Giro. The Bells I tried didn't feel right. So I assumed I'd be replacing it with another Giro. But when I tried helmets on a few months ago, the Bell Ghisallo was most comfortable. And the Giros with the RocLoc4 dug into the back of my scalp.

So I couldn't even rely on my own history. Anyways, I wore the Ghisallo for the first time yesterday. It was great.

Ginger
03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I just tried a batch of helmets and purchased a Bell...I think it's a Bell...I'm not really sure. It fit...

My standard mode for trying a helmet is to first try to pick one that has good rear coverage, then I loosen up the "fit" straps as much as they will go, put the helmet on my head where it's supposed to go make sure it isn't denting my forhead (causes me to have a headache) and push it side to side. The helmet that wins is the one that fits front to back and doesn't have much space on the side (they all have a little padding...but the push test demonstrates how much space there is between the side of my head and the helmet.)

Odd that even within the same brand there's a wide descrepancy between fit of the different models.

regularguy412
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I think there was a thread on this not too long ago. The Bell Sweep R seemed to get the nod over the Giro Atmos. It truly is a personal fit thing. I was plenny happy with my old Specialized Piranha until I tried the Atmos. The Atmos is so comfortable that it just disappears on my head.

Or is that, my head disappears within it? I dunno. Prolly the latter. It's likely you can't go far wrong either way. Try 'em both.

MIke in AR :beer:

Jack Brunk
03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Giro for sure. After seeing how bad my helmet was busted up a few weeks ago, I had no problem buying a Giro again.

saab2000
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Speaking of helmets, does it matter in terms of heat or perceived heat if it is white or black? I think the black ones look sorta cool but I can imagine that in the sun that could be a problem.

I will need a new one this year.

Discuss.

Elefantino
03-03-2008, 12:45 PM
They all protect. They're all light. Buy what fits.

I also agree with Bicycling ... save on helmets and spend the money elsewhere.

Unless you have money to burn, then buy the most expensive helmet possible.

rphetteplace
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
i was thinking more like this

Ahneida Ride
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-83504286355046_1987_3755970

;)

Get it here .... (http://www.xsportsprotective.com/bell-metropolis.html)

RIHans
03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I find it plenty cummfy. Casters is having a sale fight now.
Hans

Bradford
03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Why don't you get yourself one of the new Buddy Cianci models? From what I understand, he isn't using it anymore.

Now that's some serious padding on the dome. :D

keno
03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
used Giro Pneumo and Atmos, and just got a Bell Ghisallo. Far more comfort than the Giros on my dome. BTW, I notice that Giro has an even more newer, more expensiver lid for the discerning buyer.

keno

pdxmech13
03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I have really enjoyed my Lazer Genesis.
The retention system is pretty unique.
Good for round shaped heads.

William
03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Why don't you get yourself one of the new Buddy Cianci models? From what I understand, he isn't using it anymore.

Now that's some serious padding on the dome. :D

Mucho padding yes. But....I know where that's been....and I don't want to go there. :eek:

William ;)

William
03-03-2008, 02:31 PM
http://www.ykkbikes.com/files/genesis%20road.jpg

PDX
I haven't seen a Lazer up close yet.

Hans:
Casters is having a sale? So is Steadman's. I must compare.

AR:
Sweet orange! :cool:

Keno:
I've got more of the oval thing going on. Though my hair had been growing back since the surgery, I cut it all off last night so I'm probably down a size. Arrrr. ;)

The Sweeps look like they let the air flow pretty well.

Look folks, I haven't had to buy a helmet since the Special-ed Sub-6's were "the" thing.

William

Sandy
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
How to buy a helmet....

:)

Agreed. I think that it is basically a waste of time to suggest helmets for anyone, especially William, who I assume has a larger head than most of us as he is significantly larger than most of us. William needs to go to a few shops and simply try on the helmets. What works for someone does not work for someone else.

Sandy

William
03-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Agreed. I think that it is basically a waste of time to suggest helmets for anyone, especially William, who I assume has a larger head than most of us as he is significantly larger than most of us. William needs to go to a few shops and simply try on the helmets. What works for someone does not work for someone else.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

It is good advice and I've already agreed. My point was just to see what's current and what folks like these days. In the end, I'll go try them on and see what one's I like. Of course with my big melon, I'll probably be wearing a watermelon on my head. ;)

Wet, sticky, William :D

bocarider
03-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Most likely because I have little self control when it comes to new cycling gear, but I sprang for an Ionos 2 weeks ago when I got tired of how funky the inside of my Atmos had become (and I got the Atmos a few years backwhen my Phemo reach a similar state of funk).

The Ionos is pretty darn comfortable, way more that the Atmos, which, although had superior venting to the Phemo, never felt that great. The venting on the Ionos is really impressive, which in Florida, is an important feature. Giro includes a head cover for cold days, which I thought was a bit presumptuous, even with the claim of improved airflow. Last Thursday morning we had temperatures in the 40’s in Palm Beach County and I turned around at the end of my street to go back and get the head cover thing because it was really cold and my head was freezing, something I never would have done with the Atmos.

No question it is expensive, but it fits really well and has great airflow.

Ahneida Ride
03-03-2008, 03:29 PM
The Bell Metro has one issue. It can get hot on a 90 degree+ day.

musgravecycles
03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
been rawkin' the Lazer Genesis for the last couple of years. Best lid I've ever tried, but I've got a funky shaped head.

Best advicemo is to go to a shop(s) and try on as many as possible. Our recommendations aren't worth squat if the lid don't fit yer mellon bro. Most can immediately tell that one or the other seems to fit better than the restmo...

I Want Sachs?
03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Giros Atmos Rabobank

ATMO

http://www.monaleesa.com/Store/product15.html

Peter P.
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I bought a new Bell Ghisallo in January. I like the one-handed thumbwheel adjustment at the back. The clasps which connect the two straps were easy to use when adjusting the helmet as well. On the down side, on the inside, towards the top-rear of the helmet, there's no padding. The molding marks on the liner dug into my bald head and it wasn't comfortable. Bell supplies NO pads with the helmet, so I had to install some leftovers to soften up the sharp spot. I sent an e-mail to Bell and they responded in typical customer fashion, but I don't imagine anything will come of it.

It doesn't come in orange, but coincidentally, I accessorized the helmet with ORANGE REFLECTIVE TAPE. I used orange because I had to get rid of the excess orange tape I had. Normally, I'd use the same color as the helmet so it would not look so "dorky" with tape on it, but once I settled on the tapered stripes you see here, I didn't think it looked so bad.

This is my first attempt at uploading my own photos, so hold your breath...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2309001074_983c99a9ce_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/2309001070_204bb2be7c_m.jpg

The photos don't do justice to how effective this tape is.

beungood
03-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, I’ve finally burned through my stash of prime won helmets. The last Giro really needs to be retired and I’m in the market. Since I haven’t had to buy a helmet in quite a long time, what are you folks sporting these days? What do you like about your brand/model? Anything other than Bell and Giro these days? Does it come in orange (a big plus).

Just wondering.

William

Sir,

Can I interest you in a slightly dented lacross helmet? it still works pretty good (see picture below..) :banana:

shanerpvt
03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Ionos, only 3 rides in it........so the jury is still out. it's overpriced, but the promise of more air flow had my wallet open.

I'll let you know if June when the temp hits triple digits.

:beer:
shaner

William
03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Sir,

Can I interest you in a slightly dented lacross helmet? it still works pretty good (see picture below..) :banana:

What!!!

I'm going to have to hurt you if you're hanging it up. ;)

William

beungood
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
What!!!

I'm going to have to hurt you if you're hanging it up. ;)

William

NO, not hanging it up Big guy! No helmet , temporary halt to beating each other...NO getting wacked a lot less pain during training......alot less advil to buy... Just looking out for my homey! :p