PDA

View Full Version : Track Tandem

Too Tall
08-30-2004, 07:38 AM
What better resource that y'all to ask this question...I tell you!

In the next few weeks I HOPE to commit to building a new custom tandem track frame. Currently we race a custom CoMotion road tandem and recently checked out a CoMotion track tandem...nice :D. Also I've heard only good things about Kellog's rep. in this arena. Beyond that I don't know any builder who has depth and experience building these.

My requirements are:
1. Builder is in business for the long haul.
2. Proven success in the past building track tandems.
3. Can build a stout bike that won't bend, wobble and creak in the Kilo ;)

OldDog
08-30-2004, 08:16 AM
No one is more knowledgable on track bikes than Tom. Check out the tandem track frame on his web site, built for Mike Beers and Mike Grabowski, both taller guys. Mike B managed a local shop here for a bit about three years back and I had the chance to hang around the shop and watch the bike get built, over a few weeks as he cobbled the parts together. Nice frame with a few national championships to it's credit (with the help of Mike & Mike :) ) .
I would guess Tom could arrange for a demo ride if you were to come to T-Town. Good luck.

Smiley
08-30-2004, 10:37 AM
I would also talk with Glenn Erickson out of Seattle . But TK maybe your best bet due to proximity and getting your fit right. Does this mean that you'll commute with FlyGuy as your stoker on your way downtown ??

zap
08-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Erickson, now that guy knows how to build a Tandem. With so many CoMos' around here these days, I'd seriously consider getting one of those. I wonder if he still does fancy lug work.

Steel for tandems only :hello:

:help:

Too Tall
08-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Tanks guys. I hear yah. Tom certainly has the rep. with track tandems. Still fishin'. There are very few makers long on experiance

chrisroph
08-31-2004, 08:37 AM
TT: Given your location, you should talk to Tom. I will tell you that my old heavy Rodriguez--built by the Seattle guys about 15 years ago of fillet brazed steel--is very rigid and stable, several of the absolute requirements for a track tandem.

Too Tall
09-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Guys and 2Women, Every suggestion was dead on and any of them could make the bike.
I've nailed most of the specs. now and am moving on to a toughie. A tandem track crankset. It will not be a same side drive so don't go there.

Thinking I'll use an FSA tandem roadset with 130 BCD rings 1/8 pitch all around. Should work good. Plan B is to Helicoil a Sugino 75 track crank and adapt it for the tandem. Thoughts appreciated and if anyone has a line on a set of real live Campag Tandem Track cranks speak up :) Luv you long time.

MarinRider
09-10-2004, 08:12 PM
I consider Glenn a personal friend and he knows how to build tandems. Glenn is also an accomplished racer having won few national championships in the past. As a FYi, he is marrying another former national champ next summer in Tuscany: dedicated cyclists they are. Now if I can get Glenn to build you a lugged single bike...

I also heard great things about TK but have no personal experiences with him.

Good luck!

keno
09-11-2004, 07:34 AM
if you want Mike Beers #, drop me a note offline. I'm sure, as others mentioned, he knows from track tandems and who has built the better ones.

keno

gasman
09-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Co-Motion. Great guys,I have met many of them, know their stuff really well and everyone there rides and many race. They will work to give you what you need.

Too Tall
09-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Tanks Ken. I talked to Mike early last week about this and that. His tandem is for sale and I'm kicking myself AGAIN for being the circus freak what I is....it's too small.

Yep, CoMotion is clearly a good choice.

Anybody have experience or opinion regards helicoil or threaded insert / bushing (Eldi)? I've actually converted one set of 90's Campag. cranks for my old tandem and the insert is staying put...luck or is this legit? I don't want to think about this during Kilo starts if you know what I mean.

Last, suppose the bike is aluminum (it is) would a brushed surface be bad arse or a pain in the arse?

zap
09-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Our Mavic cranks are helicoiled and you know we've had our tandem for a good long time.

You don't want a brushed al surface. Al will oxidize fast, especially with your, umm, well, truth be told, acidic sweet.

If you want light weight, go ano. It will harden the surface of the al tube some too.