PDA

View Full Version : Attention Indy People!

Len J
03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Funny how life works sometimes....I complain about the NAHBS going to Indy &.................

Out of the blue I get contacted, interview & I've been offered a great job in Indy & know nothing about the town. (haven't accepted yet....still negotiating).

So what should I know?

How's the riding?

How's the weather?

Where is the best place to live (Assuming I can live just about anywhere...I can't believe how cheap housing is)?

What's the worst thing about Indy?

What else should I know...the good, the bad & the ugly.

Inquiring minds and all.

Thanks in advance.

Len

e-RICHIE
03-02-2008, 08:07 PM
What else should I know...

two words atmo -

http://www.cnnsi.com/2007/sioncampus/05/09/graduate.east/p1_bird.jpg

Fixed
03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
bro let's see d.c. or where is that other place?
d.c. area is one of the best places in the the u.s. imho
cheers

Ginger
03-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Dibs on Len's couch for NAHBS!

(Maybe I should put dibs on the guest room???)

Just kidding.

Smiley
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
LenJ, This is not permanant is it. Karen's folks are from there and Carmel is the place to live or near Giest Reservoir on the lake if you can call it that.

Smiley
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
BTW, The local bike shop is Indy garage and there is plenty of good riding and you should be used to FLAT and WIND :)

Winters are grey and cold but as you said its really cheap housing for sure. Also you'll see lots of super bowls and NCAA events over the years

Len J
03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Dibs on Len's couch for NAHBS!

(Maybe I should put dibs on the guest room???)

Just kidding.

Guest room is yours!

Len

Len J
03-02-2008, 09:58 PM
LenJ, This is not permanant is it. Karen's folks are from there and Carmel is the place to live or near Giest Reservoir on the lake if you can call it that.

It would be permanent for 5 to 7 years.

I heard about those 2 places plus

- Zionsville
-Noblesville
-Meridian Kessler
-Meridian Hills
- Fishers

Len

handsomerob
03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
It would be permanent for 5 to 7 years.

I heard about those 2 places plus

- Zionsville
-Noblesville
-Meridian Kessler
-Meridian Hills
- Fishers

Len

wouldn't that be a tough move after just moving into that beautiful new place you guys just got settled in to?

Len J
03-03-2008, 05:35 AM
wouldn't that be a tough move after just moving into that beautiful new place you guys just got settled in to?

Depends on the offer...doesn't it?

Len

Dave B
03-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Do you have kids?

Do you want neighborhoods with houses that all look the same?

Where is the job located? Downtown, outskirts, etc.

How far do you wish to commute?

Carmel is just fine, but you can get more for your money farther east in Fishers.

shoot me a pM and I would be happy to help.

Len J
03-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Do you have kids?

Do you want neighborhoods with houses that all look the same?

Where is the job located? Downtown, outskirts, etc.

How far do you wish to commute?

Carmel is just fine, but you can get more for your money farther east in Fishers.

shoot me a pM and I would be happy to help.

No young kids.

I'd like a "neighborhood"

Job is downtown

Thanks

len

TweeWielen
03-03-2008, 06:30 AM
I was lurking when some folks were down on Indy/NAHBS choice etc. I spent some time consulting with Eli Lilly in Indy and found the town to be pretty nice (and a metropolis compared to where I live now!).

Some notable stuff...
Decent Downtown - lots of nice restaurants and watering holes, etc. The area seems safe and everything is within walking distance. There's a place called St. Elmos Steakhouse which has the most amazing shrimp cocktail Ive ever had (horseradish ground fresh on premises) and great steaks. I always go whenever I'm in town. So as for city center you could do worse (try Albany, NY for instance)

The Track - It goes without saying this is one of the greatest motorsports venues in the world. Rider's with the interest should visit the museum they have on site which features an unbelievable collection of hardware from the early days of the 500 til today. If you have an appreciation for a Kirk or a Vanilla or a Sachs it would seem impossible to sit in front on a Miller or a Duesenberg and not be moved. A smorgasboard of beautiful details.

The Riding - Downtown seems relatively congestion free and I think would be well suited for a ride. I haven't explored the surrounding area much by bicycle but have by motorcycle. A bit flat and unremarkable I think but pleasant enough.

sspielman
03-03-2008, 06:33 AM
No young kids.

I'd like a "neighborhood"

Job is downtown

Thanks

len

Well, we would hate to lose you from the mid shore's hotbed cycling community......

All I remember about Indianapolis is that every interstate highway in the free world crosses through there...and they have a great restored train station...

Smiley
03-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Fishers is just down the road from Carmel. The Geist lake is the really nice place, Reggie Miller may still live there.
The town is safe ever since the Indy Pacers bad boys left town or were traded away. Anyway a town like Indy which has a NFL team, a NBA team and a minor leauge baseball team has the right demographics. I will come out and ride with you and also give you my Serotta buddies name George Rainn of Indy Bike Garage ex-fame to ride with you. Best Smiley

MarleyMon
03-03-2008, 08:07 AM
I live in the downtown area (Chatham Arch) and really enjoy it. There are lots of properties available, whether house, condo or apt. (me!). Its a real neighborhood, linked w/ Lockerbie. Downtown is very walk and bike-able. New Central Library just opened and its wonderful.
We have 4 seasons of weather, mild winter this year w/ little snow.
Since i've lived her (6 years) we have had the hottest summer (100 straight days over 80º) & the most snowfall (not as much as an average Michigan winter). I rode 2 hours yesterday in 55º. Spring is wet - might rain 20+ days in April. June is usually nice, before it gets too hot. Autumn is the best season, usually mild and dry.
Riding in town is flat (FLAT). There are rec. trails throughout. Streets are OK, drivers OK. The best riding is not too far south (30-40 miles). The wonderful rolling hills of Brown, Monroe, Morgan counties are always fun. Its hilly all the way to the Ohio River.
The bike shop Smiley mentioned is BGI - Bike Garage Indy. Serotta dealer, 2 locations (N & S). Nice place.
I think the people are friendly - very much so far a city this size (about 1 mil in the metro area). Hoosier Hospitality, you know.
Eli Lilly is the economic powerhouse. I read that 1 in 5 or 6 jobs is related to Lilly. Lots of insurance and medical, higher ed - Butler Univ, IUPUI (IN, Purdue joint campus downtown), U. of Indianapolis, Marion College.
March is Hoosier Hysteria time (HS basketball tourney time)
Good college ball this year w/ IU, Purdue, Butler and ND (Go Irish!) in the top 25.
Learn to talk open wheel racin' in May, esp. w/ reunification this year.
Indy is the state capital, so we have that political sport also.
I seem to recall another forumite (Skrawny, maybe?) is relocating to Indy also, he might have some insight as a "newcomer".
Its a pretty socially conservative area, imo
Thats my take. :)
- Mike Marley

Erik.Lazdins
03-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Len,
Make sure you take the Sachs onto the Speedway - post some pics and a ride report on how
-the Sachs feels taking the yard of bricks at 227mph (I think I missed a decimal there!)
-going into turn one
- the short chute between 3&4 where wind direction plays havoc with setups

:)

My cousing lives there, I've been to Indy maybe a dozen times but can't offer any insight!

Good luck!
E

Dave B
03-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Westfield, Carmel, Fishers is a great area. Very doable on many types of salaries, but the bigger the better.

Loads of cycling (mostly road) flat areas, but a short trip (maybe an hour) is some great mtbing and great steep hilss to ride.

Downtown is nice, very clean and some cool things to do. The hospitals are cutting edge and lots of medical research is done here.

The further north you go from the city the more money there is...not everywhere, but for the most part.

Yes reggie still lives here and I would be happy to show you where it is.

I can get downtown in about 10 to 20 munites and it is a straight shot.

There are also some great "charity" rides and I would be happy to help you.

check out www.cibaride.org or if you want mtbs try www.hmba.org

I am sure there are other things I can help with, but just ask.

sc53
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Man, I want to move to Indy! Sounds like a great place.

2LeftCleats
03-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I've lived here many years. This city has come a long way from Indy-No-Place, to somewhere that, if not quite cosmopolitan, is at least more interesting. It has a growing arts community, relatively affordable housing, and some of the hassles of a larger city.

It suffers from a lack of a large body of water and from flat terrain. However, from a cycling standpoint, the winds can give you every bit of challenge that a hillier terrain might. We have a velodrome. There is an active cycling community with some very competitive cyclists and many recreational types. There is a great recreational ride every fall in the Bloomington area called the Hilly Hundred, which attracts about 5000 cyclists from around the country to ride some pretty tough hills in wonderful scenery. If you like to run, the annual mini marathon with 35,000 entries is as much fun as 13 miles can be.

As noted, it is a bit politically and socially conservative but I've seen plenty of changes over the years. As folks from more progressive parts of the country find that they can't afford to live east or west, they've brought some (in my opinion) positive influences. The change in ethnic diversity over the last decade has been amazing.

We have the usual array of chain restaurants, but a growing number of independent and innovative places as well.

Hope you enjoy it!

BURCH
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
The Derby and Bourbon Country will only be an hour and a half south of you.

Been there a couple of times since moving to Louisville, and It seemed like a great town. I have never heard any negatives about it from people who lived there.

I have done long rides in Southern Indiana and they are great. Country roads, barely any cars, and some good rolling hills.

Spinner
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
... the circle city, however i visit relatives and friends 4 to 5 times per year.

if I were moving back, i'd look at Zionsville, Westfield, Carmel or downtown.

Geist Reservoir has been mentioned in other posts, but I would avoid it as the traffic on the water and the adjoining streets is very bad. If you want water, go 20 mile north to Morse Reservoir. Much less traffic on the lake and road.

Zionsville is a small town n'west of Indy and has a wide variety of housing. The roads in the area are also good for cycling. Fishers is too congested in my opinion.

PM me if you want other details.

Good luck.

dekindy
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
http://www.themillsteam.com/
Their website

http://www.themillsteam.com/LocalLinksFrame.html
Links to Indianapolis attractions/organizations, etc.

How about I give you the names of some experienced real estate people that specialize in helping medical and other professionals relocate to the Indianapolis area.

I started riding with Mike and Karen in 2006. They are about the nicest people you would ever want to meet and extremely successful at what they do. They also both happen to ride their bikes thousands of miles per year. BTW, I get no monetary benefit from referrals.

Skrawny
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey Len J!

I seem to recall another forumite (Skrawny, maybe?) is relocating to Indy also, he might have some insight as a "newcomer".
MarleyMon got it right!

Here is the thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38095&highlight=indianapolis) where we talked about it.
I will be moving to Indy in June and will be looking for rides right off the bat!
-s

handsomerob
03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Depends on the offer...doesn't it?

Len

touché

may your offer contain lots of zeros...

(so many zeros that sending your 25th Anniversary Serotta to Memphis for a pittance sounds palatable)

Len J
03-03-2008, 08:39 PM
touché

may your offer contain lots of zeros...

(so many zeros that sending your 25th Anniversary Serotta to Memphis for a pittance sounds palatable)

LOL (Besides barry called first dibs on the 20th anniv.)

Len

Smiley
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
So after all this INDY LOVE lets not forget NAHBS in Feb 2009 and your buying the first round :banana:

crossjunkee
03-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Indy, born and raised. I've posted many times about the quality of cycling that's happening in Indy. I really miss it.

All good stuff posted so far. The racing scene in Indy is very strong, with a world class track there too, Major Taylor Velodrome.

If you're a mountain biker, southern Indiana, out of Brown County is great! Bloomington in the fall by bike, nothing better! Now I'm homesick.

dekindy
03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
We also have the Marian College Knights Cycling team. 10-time NCAA track cycling champs.

http://www.marian.edu/athletics/sports/Cycling/Pages/default.aspx?newsid=1

They have a new cycling center that is one of the first of it's kind and will hopefully get bigger.

dbrown
03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
I live on the northeast side of Indy, (Lawrence township, near Geist Reservoir). Each of the areas you and the others have mentioned have their own personalities and advantages/ disadvantages-depending on what your looking for. Near downtown are some nicely restored neighborhods like Marly described. The northern suburbs like Fishers, Carmel, and Zionsville have some very nice, affluent subdivisions, as well as many more modest subdivisions. Some of the subdivisions have very active neighborhood associations, some not too neighborly. Within the city, the Meridian- Kessler area has nice older homes and traditional plotting to the lots and street layout. Also in the city is the Broadripple, a central, older but revitalized hip commericial/ residential mix area. It has the Monon trail running through it, which extends north through Carmel. On the northeast side, you can get out into agricultural areas (corn and soybean fields) within 5-6 miles. Then it is just low traffic, flat straight riding. This probably true on the far north and northwest sides also. Good luck with the salary negotiations, and let us know if you're coming this way. If you come out again, let me know and we'll go for a ride if you will fit on a 56.

erector
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I think the most important thing about Indy is the fact that it will be cold cold cold during the winter, and that winter starts in October and ends in March... so that's 6 solid months without the sun. I'm from California, so I'm a patsy when it comes to sunshine, but if I go for more than a week without sun, I start ponder life's importance.

Indy is great for sports and classic films (larry bird, Colts, Hoosiers and BreakingAway). Definitely check out Bloomington and go for a dip in the old quarries.

It's humid in the summer time. (California folk really do get spoiled)

pedalcr8z
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
I've lived here in Carmel since 1976. I work at BGI...(Bicycle Garage Indy) the Serotta dealer. Give me a call next time you are out and I'll supply a bike to you in your size if time permits you a ride. As far as winters they are very rideable......several of us commute to work at the shop in the winter....rode into work both Sat. and Sun..........very fickled weather though, can be 70 one week in winter and 8 the next week. As has been mentioned housing is an absolute steal, hospitals are state of the art....hey we saved Lance Armstrong! Restaurants are great, downtown not congested at all...perfect size. Riding is mostly flat but trust me we do have some challenging rides.........an hour south of Indy has some world class mountain biking and right behind BGI is a 9 mile trail that we've been grooming for 20 years and there are some national events held there and that's only a 20-30 minute ride from Carmel, Geist.....(stay away, too congested) or Fishers. The Monon trail is a 30 mile paved trail on an old railroad bed that stretches from Westfield (just north of Carmel) to downtown.........can get very crowded with walkers, joggers, dogs and kids but if you ride it early AM...7:00 it's wide open or at 8 PM. This trail is slated to go to Lafayette, In. within the next few years.....75miles north of Carmel....home of Purdue University. The Indy 500 Track has a 5 hour ride every year for the Tour De Cure for American Diabetes Association.......it's June 18th this year........riding the track is like riding on a 2.5 mile MIRROR with high banks.........very cool!
Feel free to call me anytime.......cell# is (317)753-9792 and BGI shop # is
(317)842-4140.
Victor

Len J
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I've lived here in Carmel since 1976. I work at BGI...(Bicycle Garage Indy) the Serotta dealer. Give me a call next time you are out and I'll supply a bike to you in your size if time permits you a ride. As far as winters they are very rideable......several of us commute to work at the shop in the winter....rode into work both Sat. and Sun..........very fickled weather though, can be 70 one week in winter and 8 the next week. As has been mentioned housing is an absolute steal, hospitals are state of the art....hey we saved Lance Armstrong! Restaurants are great, downtown not congested at all...perfect size. Riding is mostly flat but trust me we do have some challenging rides.........an hour south of Indy has some world class mountain biking and right behind BGI is a 9 mile trail that we've been grooming for 20 years and there are some national events held there and that's only a 20-30 minute ride from Carmel, Geist.....(stay away, too congested) or Fishers. The Monon trail is a 30 mile paved trail on an old railroad bed that stretches from Westfield (just north of Carmel) to downtown.........can get very crowded with walkers, joggers, dogs and kids but if you ride it early AM...7:00 it's wide open or at 8 PM. This trail is slated to go to Lafayette, In. within the next few years.....75miles north of Carmel....home of Purdue University. The Indy 500 Track has a 5 hour ride every year for the Tour De Cure for American Diabetes Association.......it's June 18th this year........riding the track is like riding on a 2.5 mile MIRROR with high banks.........very cool!
Feel free to call me anytime.......cell# is (317)753-9792 and BGI shop # is
(317)842-4140.
Victor

Great offer...thanks victor!

Len

Skrawny
07-27-2008, 12:15 PM
In reference to this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38095&page=1&pp=15) I just went on a CIBA ride. Although I showed up late, I managed to catch up to a nice couple on a tandem and got crushed trying to keep up with them for the 45 mile ride.

I'm new here, as I think LenJ is.
Any of you Indy Forumites want to get together for a ride?

A quick check of these two threads puts the Indy contingent at:
Mr.President
LenJ
Marley Mon
2 Left Cleats
dekindy
dbrown
pedalcr8z
(I may have missed a few)

Well, whatcha think?
I'm up for any distance or speed; I just want to meet people.
-s

crossjunkee
07-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Show up for the Mon-Thurs rides in Broad Ripple. It's roughly 20 miles and a good workout. You'll also meet some people. Check the CIBA ride schedule for exact spots to meet.

There is also a faster ride that leaves from 46th. and Central at 6 on Tuesday and Thursday.

dekindy
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
In reference to this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38095&page=1&pp=15) I just went on a CIBA ride. Although I showed up late, I managed to catch up to a nice couple on a tandem and got crushed trying to keep up with them for the 45 mile ride.

I'm new here, as I think LenJ is.
Any of you Indy Forumites want to get together for a ride?

A quick check of these two threads puts the Indy contingent at:
Mr.President
LenJ
Marley Mon
2 Left Cleats
dekindy
dbrown
pedalcr8z
(I may have missed a few)

Well, whatcha think?
I'm up for any distance or speed; I just want to meet people.
-s

You might mean Mark Bettinger and Karen Iseminger. Mark wears glasses and has a beard. Karen is a brunette. They are an elite tandem team and very strong single bike riders as well.

I ride at Potter's Bridge training ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Follow Allisonville Road through Noblesville and Potter's Bridge will be on your left on the near northside of Noblesville.

The longest distance is 33-miles and I don't believe there is anyone riding any of the shorter distances. Most of the summer I have been commuting instead of driving my car. I leave my home in Fishers and ride 11 miles to the ride, 33 miles training ride, and then 11 miles home for a total of 55 miles. I don't have my lights on currently since I am getting home before dark. Soon I will have to add one of my rear tail lights and a be seen front light when the days get shorter.

If you want to ride to the ride from my home in Fishers, pm me and I will give you directions. I generally try to leave by 5:30. Riding paths part of the way and allowing for traffic it takes me 40-45 minutes to ride there. I have left as late as 5:45 but that does not leave much time to do a quick bio break, rest and socialize before the ride.

If you want to ride just the training ride and not commute, look for me on my naked titanium Serotta Legend. I ride with the C group that averages 18 to 20 mph. The A group is composed mostly of racers sponsored by UBiuldit/BGI, Mathews, and Nebo Ridge bicycle shops.

BTW - Broad Ripple training rides is at insane speeds through mostly city streets. If you are looking to hammer and have lots of excitement, definitely go there. If you are looking for reasonable to fast speeds and lightly traveled rural roads, come to Potter's Bridge.

Nebo Ridge also has nice Tuesday night and Thursday night rides.

dbrown
07-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I usually do the Thursday evening (6 PM) rides from the Nebo Ridge bike shop- 106th street and Michigan Road. There are 3-4 groups, with speeds from 13-23+ mph.
I live near 96th street and I-69, and ride from there out into the country on weekend mornings. You're welcome to ride along anytime you'd like.

sc53
07-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Did LenJ make the move? I wanted to offer to house-sit his place on the Eastern Shore while he is in Indy for the next few years!!
NICE riding out on the Eastern Shore if you like flat and windy and water views everywhere.