PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remove a Nexus 8 hub?

stackie
03-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm trying to exchange the rear cog on my wife's Breezer with Nexus 8 spd internal hub. I've gotten chain case off and hub loose, but I cannot for the life of me see how to loosen the shift cable, to remove the hub entirely.

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,

Jon

jbay
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm trying to exchange the rear cog on my wife's Breezer with Nexus 8 spd internal hub. I've gotten chain case off and hub loose, but I cannot for the life of me see how to loosen the shift cable, to remove the hub entirely.

Anyone have any input on this?
Courtesy of the the late, great Sheldon "Nexus" Brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html

Reverse the order of the pictographs for cable installation and be thankful you're not trying to do it on the side of the road on a rainy night!

-- John

stackie
03-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Sheldon rocks. I found tips on changing cog as well as link to full Shimano install/service guide.

Was able to complete project, although it took almost two hours. I would hate to change a tire on this setup alongside the road. Starting to rethink the whole Alfine thing.

Jon

palincss
03-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Sheldon rocks. I found tips on changing cog as well as link to full Shimano install/service guide.

Was able to complete project, although it took almost two hours. I would hate to change a tire on this setup alongside the road. Starting to rethink the whole Alfine thing.

Jon

I have no idea how difficult it is to R&R an 8-spd Nexus, but I did ride a rod-brake roadster with a 3-spd Sturmey Archer hub as my commuter for five years. With one of those, you have to disassemble the brake to remove the wheel. It was difficult enough that most of the time I fixed a flat by removing one side of the tire from the rim without first removing the wheel from the bike, pulling out the tube, patching it, reinserting the tube, putting the tire back on & reinflating.

It got so I could do it in around 5 min or less, no wrenches required and no chance of losing the nuts & washers that hold the brake pads on.

That may be a bit easier to do with 40x635 tires & Westwood rims than with what you have, but it may be worth experimenting to see whether it would work for you.