PDA

View Full Version : Rim cleaning?

Kervin
03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I regularly use Mavic CXP 33's. I'm very happy with the way my bike brakes with those. Today I put on some used Campy Eurus wheels that I got in the Fall. It felt like I lost about 30% of my brake power. They feel pretty "wooden" when I use them. The rims are slightly wider, but I didn't think it would make that big of a change in feel. The braking surface looks clean, but I'm thinking maybe the last owner used some kind of funky brake pad with them. Anybody else feel a difference between Camy and Mavic rims during braking? What would you use to clean the surface?

Peter P.
03-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Before you condemn the rims, use a Scotch-Brite pad from the backside of a kitchen sponge on the sidewalls after spraying them with household cleaner i.e., 409, Fantastic, etc.

weisan
03-02-2008, 06:25 PM
I use a material called Sandflex to clean metal rim surfaces, produce good results. I ordered a dozen 4 years ago, and is now down to 11.5 pieces left...yep, those things last forever. If any pal wants to try, shoot me your address, I will send one over, trying to give it away.

weisan

handsomerob
03-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I have some Zondas and the brake track is pretty narrow. A pad set up that would be fine for a lot of rims (probably most) would be off on the Campy wheels. I would realign your pads to the new wheels just to make sure they are 100% on the brake track.

MilanoTom
03-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Before you condemn the rims, use a Scotch-Brite pad from the backside of a kitchen sponge on the sidewalls after spraying them with household cleaner i.e., 409, Fantastic, etc.

If there's residue on the rims, adding more detergent might make 'em worse. Try using the pad with just water first. If that's not enough, wet the sponge with a little bit of weak dishwater.

Tom

Ahneida Ride
03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Mavic manufactures a stone to clean rims. Works exceeding well,
but not cheap at 35 frn.

Kervin
03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
I used some Simple Green and a Scott Bright type pad yesterday. After that I used plain water twice. The braking is much better now. I'll look closer at the pad alignment tonight, but I'm pretty careful duing inital set-up with stuff like that.

Bob Ross
03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Mavic manufactures a stone to clean rims. Works exceeding well,
but not cheap at 35 frn.

Has anyone actually used this Mavic Soft Stone?

my Ksyrium Elite rims have gotten pretty munged to the point where a 3M pad & Simple Green don't help. Even got brand new Shimano pads 2 weeks ago & the front brake still makes a horrible scraping noise. Dare I take the plunge? (Er, I mean plungemo)

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Rim+Cleaning+Stone&vendorCode=MAVIC&major=6&minor=2

LegendRider
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Get a medium grit Sandflex block - way cheaper than the Mavic product.

Grant McLean
03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
my Ksyrium Elite rims have gotten pretty munged to the point where a 3M pad & Simple Green don't help. Even got brand new Shimano pads 2 weeks ago & the front brake still makes a horrible scraping noise.

Check the brake pad again for imbedded bits & pieces.

If there is stuff on the sidewall, even after one stop,
the scraping sound can be something like a chard of aluminum
that's stuck in the pad, and it's grinding on the rim.

-g

Ahneida Ride
03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Has anyone actually used this Mavic Soft Stone?

Yup ... I got one. Works so well that you just may kill yourself
first time you hit the brakes. WIpe the rim with alcohol after using the
stone.

It wlll last forever. The Sandflex (med) is a cheaper alternative.

Switch to Kool Stop Salmon pads too and stop cruding your rims up! ;)

jdweld
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
0000 steel wool