PDA

View Full Version : Dull is the new shiny for cars

YO!!!
03-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Wait list people may want to consider this when making color choices.

Quote:
New cars lose luster as matte finishes become popular

By DEE-ANN DURBIN
Associated Press
Published on: 03/01/08
You can get a matte finish on your photos or your cellphone, so why not on your car?

Dull is the new shiny in the auto industry, where at least eight cars from General Motors Corp., Lamborghini, Audi and others sport a gleam-free matte finish. It's a trend likely to show up more and more as drivers seek to differentiate their vehicles.

Kiichiro Sato / Special
(ENLARGE)
A Chevrolet Groove and other models sport the shine-free finish. Industry analysts say young drivers, who are used to the flat finishes on their cellphones and laptops, no longer equate shininess with luxury.

Kiichiro Sato / Special
(ENLARGE)
A Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder with non-glassy matte paint finish is shown at the North American International Auto Show

Kiichiro Sato / Special
(ENLARGE)
Jeep Renegade concept with non-glassy matte paint finish, is displayed at the North American International

Matte finish has been appearing on show cars for several years, usually as an accent color to highlight a specific feature such as fender flares. But the all-over matte finish, a trend that began with customizers, is going mainstream. Karen Surcina, color technology and marketing manager of Dupont Automotive, said buyers should expect to see matte finishes on specialty or limited-run vehicles in the next two or three years.

"We expect that the matte trend would be more of a niche offering," she said.

It's easy to see why automakers are keen on the trend. Ed Welburn, GM's vice president of design, said nearly all automakers are experimenting with matte because it shows off the pure design of the car.

"It reduces the design to the very core elements because you're not influenced by the surroundings at all. You don't have the reflections of trees or buildings or the reflection of clouds or anything on the car because of the matte finish," Welburn said at the Detroit show, where GM's Hummer HX and Chevrolet Groove concepts had matte finishes. "You see the pure surface development and nothing else."

Aaron Bragman, an auto industry analyst for the consulting company Global Insight, said another reason matte finishes are taking off is that young drivers, who are used to the flat finishes on their cellphones and laptops, no longer equate shininess with luxury.

Because matte is a clear finish, it can go on over any paint color, from the gray-green of the Hummer HX to the robin's egg blue of the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Coupe. Lamborghini, which made its first foray into matte last year with the metallic gray $1.4 million Reventon super car, is now highlighting the sharp lines of its Gallardo Spyder with a new matte brown paint.

Mercedes-Benz introduced its small sport utility concept, the GLK Freeside, in a pearl white matte in Detroit, while Chrysler LLC's Jeep Renegade turned heads with its bright green matte.

Automakers have shied away from matte finishes because of their inherent difficulties. Jane Harrington, market manager for color styling for automotive paint supplier PPG Industries, said low-gloss finishes can take on a shiny look with washing, and it's also harder to conceal the lines from repairs.

"You would not believe how difficult it is to do a matte finish in production," Welburn said. "Every time you take it through the car wash, the buffers are starting to buff it back up and it starts to get shiny there. It's easy to paint, but it's not easy to keep it matte."

But Harrington and Surcina, of Dupont, say their companies have improved those flaws. Peter Horbury, Ford Motor Co.'s executive design director for the Americas, said the technology has improved so dramatically in the last few years that Ford is now seriously exploring matte finishes.

As automakers grow closer to parity in technology, safety and other features, styling — including colors and finishes — is becoming a critical differentiator.

"The trend is toward more personalization, which to different consumer groups means different things," Surcina said. "Automakers are looking to differentiate their vehicles. One of the ways to do that is through bright and bold colors."

Still, matte finishes surprise longtime executives like Welburn, who has watched the industry spend decades perfecting high-gloss paint only to see the tide turn.

"Now we can't keep it dull," he said.

Ginger
03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
I think they're going too far in the matte finish direction.

But it should be interesting to see what they do with styling. After all, the auto industry paints their mules with matte black to help protect new styling details from photographers just in case the car is caught in the open.

If they really want to attract attention they need to go to the paint colors of the 40s and 50s and their inherent lack of "shine" but with today's technology to keep the paint on the car.
The car companies will go to the DIFFERENT side, and that will attract car buyers. Sad, but true. I guess not too many people have really seen a car sprayed with a black or brown rust proof going down the road...

Of course, I'll just keep driving on dirt roads...then my car is automatically "matte"

brians647
03-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Ginger's got it right.

I think the concept is ridiculouso atmo. (atmo is now a spanish word as well, per my sayso).

Blue Jays
03-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Wait until a huge crow takes a dump on the hood of a matte-finish car and watch the person trying to clean it off.
No thanks, I'll stick to a slick and shiny surface for cars, bikes, & motorcycles.

jchasse
03-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I've beeen thinking about having my Crosshairs frame re-finished in some kind of matte finish. Started thinking about it when I saw this.

Louis
03-02-2008, 01:35 PM
About five years ago I was having a heck of a time deciding on a color for a Waterford (a 2200). After hemming and hawing about it for months I hired some highly payed consultants (my mother and sister who happened to be in town visiting me) and had them go to a few LBSs to check out the colors to see if they found anything that seemed particularly appealing.

Their final selection was a matte dark gray on some MTB. I ended up choosing a cool purple (goes well with the stainless lugs) which I really like. It would be interesting to see if road bikes go matte. I doubt it.

Shiny is faster.

Louis

Walter
03-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Wait until a huge crow takes a dump on the hood of a matte-finish car and watch the person trying to clean it off.
No thanks, I'll stick to a slick and shiny surface for cars, bikes, & motorcycles.

Some of the newer paints in dull finish are as slick as the old shiny...better living thru chemistry.

Ginger
03-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Some of the newer paints in dull finish are as slick as the old shiny...better living thru chemistry.

Yep. They had to get them there before they could put them on a car.

Louis, I think there are some road bikes that use the matte paints, and my specialized tri comp cross bike has matte paint.

I think matte has been around in bikes for some time now...look at those brushed ti bikes....

92degrees
03-02-2008, 02:33 PM
people have been building hot rods and leaving them in primer since the '50's.

Bill Bove
03-02-2008, 03:04 PM
My aluminum Storck is matte black, bad azz black, looks cool.

Steve Hampsten
03-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Ibis is doing some groovy finishes using a rubberized polyurethane paint - it has a matte look with a rubbery feel.

Tres cool.

jmewkill
03-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I had a dull matte grey Specialized stumpjumper around 1990 or so. Guy came in and wanted it, bought it and I replaced it with a green s-works frameset.

Nowadays the dullness comes from the rider.

e-RICHIE
03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Nowadays the dullness comes from the rider.
Jmewkillpedia 14.0 atmo -

PaMtbRider
03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
This trend is also becoming popular with Harley-Davidson. Several of their new bikes come in a matte, or what they call suede finish. I look at these dull, primer looking bikes and think, that's not paint, that's what you put paint on.

William
03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
The only cars that can get away with a matte finish…..and that’s hood only….are late 60’s and early 70’s muscle cars. They used to matte the hoods so you wouldn’t get the suns glare in your face when you were sitting at the stop light, “Christmas tree”, or watching the flagger getting ready to put the pedal to the metal. Otherwise, matte = the new poser.

William

musgravecycles
03-03-2008, 09:12 AM
I've seen a few rat rods with matte finishes that struck a chord with me...

David Kirk
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
semi gloss is the new RED.

dave

crossjunkee
03-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Does anybody watch Rob and Big on Mtv? He has a "murdered out" Tahoe. It's basically ALL matte black, including the wheels.

Google is a wonderful thing.

http://www.wedeking.org/2007/06/05/rob-dyrdek-in-june-2007-issue-of-rides/

William
03-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I've seen a few rat rods with matte finishes that struck a chord with me...

Have you seen these yet? 3M product.

William