PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Boulder Colorado

weisan
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I will spend two days (3/11 Tues -3/12 Wed) in Boulder, Colorado with a rental car and have my bike with me. Want to get some advice on the following:

If I could get only one long ride in (>50 miles, 5 hours+), which one should I do?

a) Left hand canyon
b) Flagstaff
c) Morgul-Bismarck
d) Peak to Peak
e) None of the above - please suggest your fav. ride

Any suggestions on the shorter loop, 30 miles or less, 2 hours and under?
If anyone has detailed maps or route directions, I would appreciate that too.

Next thing I need advice on is:
I will be bringing the Hors Categorie with compact gearing. I am flying Continental. My plan is to break it out into two luggages using smaller boxes. Would that still incur extra airline charges?
Should I consider shipping it ahead to my final destination using FedEx or UPS?

Finally, food is not high in my agenda. I can easily settle with a cold turkey sandwich at 7/11, wash that down with chocolate milk, all done in 15 minutes and I can do this on the run, with my legs on the steering wheel. :D
I want to be constantly on the move, heading to or spending time at the next destination.

Is there any recommendation on good hiking locations, scenic mountain lookout, spectacular views that take human breath away.... :banana:

If any of my pals on the forum living in that area would like to join me on any of the excursions, I would be most honored. :beer:

weisan

weisan
03-01-2008, 04:41 PM
The way I read their policies, sounded like if the two luggages fall below their stipulated limitations, I won't have to pay anything. Anyone read that slightly differently?

----------
Bicycles
Continental Airlines accepts a non-motorized bicycle with single seat or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. The following are bicycle restrictions:

If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 lbs (23kg) and/or 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $95 service charge applies each way. The service charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply. Bicycle equipment over 70lbs (32 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed or
All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material or
Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box. If a box is needed, see the Courtesy Bags section of this site.
Continental is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.
Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed.

xjoex
03-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I moved from there a year ago(and regret it everyday), so keep this is mind.

Do not ride the morgul bizmark course, its through suburbs and has you going down highway 93 which has no shoulder and the ride is nothing special when you take its history away.

Less than two hours, tow great rides are:
Ride down Highway 36(huge 10ft shoulders) for 2-3 miles to left hand canyon, take that 1 mile or so to the intersection of Olde Stage, take that up to the summit, fly down hill to town again. Depending upon where you are starting from this can be 1.5-2 hours. I really like this ride and used to do this one a lot.

In town ride up to the ampitheater on flagstaff mountain. Really long hill, great climb and great views, this is short depending upon where you are staying. You'd simply make it to Baseline rd and ride up the mountain.

Riding left hand up to the town of ward is an absolute classic and should not be missed, if you have the time.

Also for hiking, hike up gregory canyon to the summit of Flagstaff mountain and back down, incredible views and a great hike, leave from Chautauqua right in town on Baseline.

Make me jealous so I move out of here :)
-Joe

97CSI
03-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Contact member 'deanster'. He is an infrequent poster, but would be happy to hook you up with some suggestions. He might even be able to ride with you, if you want company. He's a great guy.

witcombusa
03-01-2008, 06:17 PM
weisan,

Now we're talking!

It's early in March so you'll still have snow to contend with if you head up the canyons. If you get some good weather and the sun is shinning the pave should be fairly dry. That said, I would think Lefthand to Ward might be your best bet.

If you want a shorter "classic" ride then take Baseline up to Flagstaff summit. Great views, lovely climb (it was the Prolouge for the Coors Classic for a few years) and stimulating decent.

One of my favorite rides from town is to take the Boulder Creek Bike Path west to Four Mile Canyon. Take that up to Sunset were you then follow the Switzerland trail up to Gold Hill. Then back down either Sunshine Canyon or Four mile to town. This won't be passable in early March but is a wonderful loop later in the season (CX bike or at least 28mm tires recomended!)

Be sure and check out a few of the bike shops in town, especially Vecchio's, Rene Herse and Ubikes.

Wish I was there!!!

NicaDog
03-01-2008, 06:31 PM
It's 70 degrees here today, sunny (the usual) but a little breezy. That said, by March 11 we could have 6 inches of snow on the ground again. Spring is very erratic here - so be prepared.

If you want > 50 miles here's a favorite of mine, I can send you map if you like.

From Boulder North on 36 to the town of Lyons. Then up route 7 to the town of Raymond, through Raymond to Peak to Peak. South on Peak to Peak
to the turn off east through Ward. This is Lefthand canyon that will bring you all way down to 36. Take a right and you are on you way back to Boulder.

If it's like today, this is a glorious ride, but you start at about 5,700 feet and climb to over 9,500 feet. Food in boulder, Lyons (The Barking dog cafe, Raymond, Ward)

The climbs up to Flagstaff are very nice but watch out for icy spots in the shade.

Hiking up Mt. Sanitias, (Start just up the canyon from mapleton ave and you'll see the parking area. I do the loop in a clockwise route usually, and the views from the peak are very nice)

If you want recommendation on resturants, let me know, I have a wonderfully long list.

It would love to ride with you, but alas, I'll be in rainy cold dreary Brussels at that time.

David

weisan
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks pals, those are great suggestions!

Climb01742
03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
for livin' and for ridin', is boulder as swell as everyone says?

witcombusa
03-01-2008, 07:29 PM

YES! :D

Steve Hampsten
03-01-2008, 08:26 PM

it's like disneyland for endorphin junkies. it's still a theme park, imho, however

weisanpal, if you have fat tires there are some killer gravel road rides - just look on a map and start stringing together

have fun, say hi to the boys!

97CSI
03-01-2008, 08:28 PM
for livin' and for ridin', is boulder as swell as everyone says?I'd take Boulder in a second. Lots of plastic folks, just like everywhere else. But the biking is fantastic. That's why I visit every year.

weisan
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Climb-pal, wanna come join me for the short stay? I have got hotel, rental car all booked and ready to go, you just have to get approval from missy and use your frequent flyer miles. :D

fat tires...urrggg....why can't they make the Hors Cat hold a fatter tires like its cross version cousin? I am sure the DKS is up to the task.

jjb
03-01-2008, 10:56 PM
+1 on xjoex and NicaDog's posts. I am fortunate enough to live in Boulder and have had a chance to do all these rides. NicaDog's suggestion of Lyon to the Peak to Peak highway is amazing if you have the time that is probable the one ride to do. Just a note it may be a little sketchy this time of year so make sure you have everything you need to keep warm. The rout xjoex mentioned is the one I like to do in the mornings when I get a chance. Flagstaff is nice but I it is more of a quick hit, if you are staying in Boulder proper you are probably talking < 1hr. I would also echo xjoex in recommending you stay away morgul bizmark its fine as an out and back (definitely skip the leg on 93 very sketch due to traffic/gravel) for the sake of some variety but no where near as good as left hand and/or peak to peak.

Have fun, I'd love to join you but will be out of town.

jjb

Sacha White
03-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Kind of a variation on what you have already, but...

Lefthand canyon up to peak to peak, south on peak to peak to the Gold hill turn off. Dirt road for a few miles to gold hill and then another couple of miles past it. After that you have a great decent down Sunshine canyon. You'll pop out onto mapleton st. Go south a couple of blocks to 10th and Pearl st and hit the Trident Cafe for a Cappuccino.

Man that sounds really good right now. Have a great trip. :beer:

Climb01742
03-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Climb-pal, wanna come join me for the short stay? I have got hotel, rental car all booked and ready to go, you just have to get approval from missy and use your frequent flyer miles. :D

oh, man, that's tempting. i could use a break right about now but work demands 110% of my attention these days. the flipside of my job, though, is i have nearly a million frequent flyer miles, so the miles wouldn't be a prob. have fun, my friend. do a ride for me.

1centaur
03-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Someone on another forum noted how it was almost always windy in Boulder, unpleasantly so for cycling. That would be a killer for me - I hate cycling in gusty winds. Could the Boulderites here comment on that lone negative assessment?

Dave
03-02-2008, 10:18 AM
As others have noted, the weather varies a lot. Better check the forecast before packing the bike. If snow is predicted, I wouldn't waste the time. We're getting some snow in the front range right now, after record high temps, but very windy, yesterday. If we get much snow, it can take quite a while to melt from the canyon roads. The other problem with canyon roads is the possibility of black ice. Some areas never get any sun this time of year. One side of the road may be fine, but if the downhill side is icy, watch out.

gdw
03-02-2008, 10:23 AM
but it isn't "always" windy. On the bad days I ride in the canyons or climb Flagstaff and avoid the less protected routes.

As to the original question, the Peak to Peak and it's variations are your best bet for a long ride. Just make sure to check the weather forecast and bring rain gear. For your shorter ride try Super Flagstaff if you want a great climb with nice views.

jjb
03-02-2008, 11:09 AM
It does get windy hear in the spring, but it is usually just not that bad and there plenty of more protected rides. I actually kind of like riding in the breeze early in the year. In any case, Dave's assessment is accurate the more protected routs with respect to the wind like the canyon roads have more residual snow and ice this time of year so be careful.

Bud
03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Late to the party...

I've been out of touch with the forum for a couple of months due to work etc. Weisan- check your pm's. I replied with some suggestions and such.

weisan
03-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope the temps get warmer as the day approaches... :banana: Right now, it looks like I should reserve Tues for the "epic ride" and Wed for a long nice, wet hike around the park.
Also, went ahead and put on fatter tires (28mm) on the Hors Cat.

A BIG thank you to all the sweet pals who PM me with their tips and recommendations, U da' best! :beer:

julia
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
weisan,

let us know how your trip goes! i am going at the end of the month. when i asked what kind of weather i could expect i was told "somewhere between snowing and 80."

would love to hear your ride reports.

have a great time

weisan
03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
will do, Julia-pal.

weisan
03-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I know this is kinda late but...this is my first time packing up a bike to travel...man, what a pain! :p

I got the bike plus all the other stuff into the suitcase...EXCEPT the wheels!

If any of our pals here can **loan** me a set of shimano 9-spd wheels while I am there, that will save me the trouble of dragging along an extra piece of luggage :D

Anyone? pleaseeeeee.....

I know the other option is to spend $$ to get the wheels from a bike shop there...but that's kinda defeat the purpose if you know what mean. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, thought I might ask...I wouldn't ask anyone to do anything I wouldn't have done for my pals here myself if they come to Austin...go ahead use my wheels, use my bike, use my car, here...take my credit card...er...wait...actually not quite that far unless of course you are stevep-pal, that's a whole different deal. :banana: He actually put money into my account, yeah baby!

I know this is a huge request...but really, it will save me tons of headache. I promise to take good care of it during the one or two rides I am doing over there and if anything happens, I will buy you a brand new set. :beer:

Please let me know before 3pm CST tomorrow afternoon, that way I won't have to pack up the wheels .

THANK YOU!

weisan

weisan
03-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Problem solved! :banana:

Bud-pal came to the rescue.

I received an email response from him in less than an hour with a set of wheels that will work perfectly for what I need. Isn't it amazing?!!

A big thank you to my pal Bud.

weisan

paulandmonster
03-10-2008, 12:46 AM
but that was 25 years ago alot has changed

weisan
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
off and I go...if anyone need to reach me on my cell (512) 924-6392.

Blue Jays
03-10-2008, 04:01 PM
weisan, enjoy. You'll be in a truly beautiful part of the country. A bunch of us drove through Boulder en route to the start of the Bicycle Tour of Colorado (http://www.bicycletourcolorado.com) last year and it was stunning.

deanster
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
W., Contact me at 720-771-1077...Tuesday I will be free in the afternoon and Wednesday I can take the time for a longer ride. The weather this weekend was spectacular. Shorts and a light jacket were all that was necessary. Looking at the forcast Tue and Wed should be very good. Bring some layers of clothing so you have a choice on the day you ride.
Looking forward to meeting you for a ride. Have a good trip out.
Don

weisan
03-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Just got back late last night. what a blast! beautiful country out in the Front Range and the most worthy of praise, sweet pals who took time out to show me around, absolutely first-class experience, more than make up for the 2hrs sleep I got on the first night due to flight delays.

On the first day, mgm777 (Michael) and rockdude (John) came out and gave me a grand tour of Boulder, now I know it's the cycling paradise of US.
On second day, I went out with Don (deanster), a very fine italian-speaking older gentleman who dazzles me with his wisdom and experience. I left the keys in the car, he waited with me until the AAA serviceman came, thanks Don!

Bud (Bud) loaned me his open pro wheels which save me from carrying along another luggage, apparently those wheels came from Fixed-pal, he blesses me everywhere I go.

And last but not least, only regret is Tailwinds (Amanda) and I did not get to meet on the final day because she came down with a bad cold, I'm so sorry, wish her well, someday we will. I got the Hors Cat from her.

Those guys were telling me a month from now they would have 70s sunny blue sky all summer long just like the first day, that's amazing!

what a trip! My heartfelt gratitude to my pals.

weisan

weisan
03-13-2008, 08:38 PM
took some pictures using the phone camera, not too good, but ok. so sad I forgot to take pics of my pals.

#1 is a local landmark. don-pal took me to this bike shop that's been around forever - Vecchio's.
#2 - snow along the way driving up Flagstaff summit.
#3 - up at Flagstaff summit
#4 - people doing rock climbing on the left. I saw folks walking up with mini mattresses on their backs, initially I thought they are going to sleep in the park for the night, see stars, make love....actually it's for not killing themselves by break their falls , silly me :D
#5 a map in Flagstaff

chuckred
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
You saw pretty typical weather for this time of year - conducive to year round riding as you can see...

I've ridden with Amanda - she's fast!

Hope you make it out again!

97CSI
03-13-2008, 08:47 PM
You need to post a pic with your new "I Survived the Deanster" t-shirt. I am forced to ride with him most every year (Bike VA, this June and, he doesn't know it yet, but Glenwood Springs back to Boulder in July). And, truth be told, he doesn't know a word of Italian. Other than what he's read on the back of the pasta box. He's a Mick, through-and-through. But........it ain't all bad. So am I. Glad you had a good time. Boulder is definitely "where its at" bicycle riding-wise.

weisan
03-13-2008, 08:54 PM
97-pal, thanks for connecting me up with Don-pal, we had a great time together. I was just joking about him listening and practicing on his italian lessons while I sat at the back waiting for the locksmith. Yes, bumper sticker "I survived the deanster". The guy is 98 and he rides like a pro.